All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. diego

Horse Racing

Lonhro, Australian horse of the year 2004, died aged 25, won several awards in Australia in his career https://www.news.com.au/sport/superracing/champion-racehorse-and-stallion-lonhro-dies/news-story/3c2c1b0c83579e4ce689608e9f14c9ed
  3. 4/19/2024 77 Jeff Buckley — Hallelujah -2 35 Kings Of Leon — Use Somebody +3 33 James Morrison ft. Nelly Furtado — Broken Strings 32 Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys — Empire State Of Mind 32 Taylor Swift — Love Story +1 31 Adele — Chasing Pavements 30 Rihanna — Russian Roulette 29 La Roux — In For The Kill 22 Britney Spears — Piece Of Me 19 Sam Sparro — Black & Gold -4
  4. gcreptile

The D-A-CH-DeathList 2024 (page 18)

Another german with sepsis, conductor Justus Frantz: https://www.t-online.de/unterhaltung/stars/id_100389552/star-dirigent-justus-frantz-schwebte-nach-sepsis-in-lebensgefahr.html Already had him as an Idea for 2019 after another "I nearly died" episode:
  5. msc

14. James Whale

The year is 2040. AI Trump rules half the world, Clorox is running the msc memorial Deadpool, and James Whale is still saying he's only got one more Christmas this time.
  6. Today
  7. TomTomTelekom

Gospel & Christian Music

Gospel and contemporary Christian singer Mandisa, who finished in ninth place in the fifth season of American Idol, died at 47 years: https://www.chvnradio.com/articles/overcomer-singer-mandisa-dead-at-47 Her album Overcomer won a Grammy Award in 2014.
  8. The Old Crem

King Charles III

@Ulitzer95 friend probably works for one these organisations. Maybe once the Princess of Wales recovers and returns to work they might start preparing us for Charlie’s demise.
  9. gcreptile

14. James Whale

He says he might die this year: https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/17/james-whale-worries-might-not-make-end-year-amid-terminal-cancer-20669039/ Still, I seem to recall that he said the same thing about a past christmas.
  10. alt obits guy

The Fringes Of Fame/family Of The Famous

Helen Cummine, the last living sibling of all-time National Hockey League great Gordie Howe, has died. She was 90. Cummine was the youngest of the nine Howe brothers and sisters. https://www.nhl.com/news/gordie-howes-last-living-sibling-helen-cummine-dies-at-90
  11. 19.04.24 79 Jeff Buckley — Hallelujah 33 James Morrison ft. Nelly Furtado — Broken Strings 32 Kings Of Leon — Use Somebody 32 Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys — Empire State Of Mind 31 Taylor Swift — Love Story 31 Adele — Chasing Pavements -6 30 Rihanna — Russian Roulette 29 La Roux — In For The Kill 23 Sam Sparro — Black & Gold 22 Britney Spears — Piece Of Me +4
  12. I think in the great scheme of things, the UK couldn't bat off an attack on our own soil today. There's a reason why we don't send jets out to fight in other conflicts around the world, no matter the possibility of advantage to the other superpowers. It's naive and unrealistic to suggest we could fight those powers alone. I care naught here for the US and their participation, that's their issue. Netanyahu has got Israel into this mess. He won't stop here. Our support of him and his regime could likely draw us into a wider conflict in the region. What's the problem with remaining neutral? Israel has been around for too long not to be able to fight its own battles. If it cannot fight those battles alone, then it should concentrate on defence, not attack other sovereign states' soil. I've said before I have no issue with the existence of Israel. However, its current leaders have chosen a bellicose course which is their decision. We shall agree to disagree on this, I personally see no problem with us leaving it to the US, and staying out while we shore up our woeful defences.
  13. An Fear Beag

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

And if it doesn't? Don't get me wrong. I see the attraction of the US and UK throwing their hands in the air and saying to Israel "well fuck you - you're on your own - do it your way." It would be my first instinct as well. However, if you do that, then you have to at least consider the possibility that Israel might actually lose. I doubt it would happen, given their military strength, but it is not an impossibility. What happens if Russia or China intervenes (indirectly) on the other side? What happens if other Arab states use Israel's weakened position as an opportunity to get involved and seriously threaten the very existence of the state of Israel? Do you really think that the US and UK are going to stand back and let that happen? Should they? In reality, they would still end up getting involved, but in a far worse situation than the one that currently exists. And if they didn't then intervene, what happens next? Do you think that Netanyahu is going to allow the destruction of Israel, without doing literally everything in his power to stop it, up to and including the use of nuclear weapons? I understand why you would prefer that the UK were not involved, other than to protect the people of Gaza. However, I think that is naive and unrealistic. I would prefer that the US and UK were in there at least trying to hold Israel and Iran at arms length, even if it seems like a forlorn hope at present. And to go back to my original point, I don't believe that Sunak's motivation is to have a "Falklands moment" and involve the UK in a war in the Middle East to boost support at home. I think that the motivation is more to try and prevent further escalation, however unlikely that might be.
  14. arghton

Political Frailty

Matti Vanhanen awarded counsellor of state title. That title has only been awarded to nine people and the last time was twenty years ago. Might be a sign he's in declining health.
  15. Spade_Cooley

Poker Players

From Byron "Cowboy" Wolford's 2005 autobiography. Cannon, on the right, could definitely be the guy whose photo is on the FindAGrave mentioned upthread 25 years on...
  16. Spade_Cooley

Poker Players

There's a much larger version of the image seemingly scanned from a book on Reddit here. Cut-off at the bottom original scanner's error:
  17. Your coked up friend has a machine gun. However, he insists on grabbing you and throwing you in front of him, while he shoots the innocent passers-by behind him (including your friends who were handing out burgers to the homeless), claiming they are all out to get him. As I said before, the actual withdrawal of support or the threat thereof might do the trick. If not, let their wonderful Iron Dome protect them. What the hell are we doing failing to provide air cover to defend Ukraine, but sending our aircraft into battle in Israel?
  18. gcreptile

Windy City Deadpool 2024-25

I've just made a draft. I have to think about submitting it before or during my holidays.
  19. Perhaps

Will be sending in a team.
  20. ladyfiona

My list will be here once pool is active at end of the month.
  21. Evil Grimace

Poker Players

This picture clearly shows more than 7 people - and it has a 'who is who' guide too! I can't make it out - can anyone make it legible? Based on his age of 32 in 1970 and the picture from the FindAGrave, I suspect he is the man on the far left, between a short man with a cigar and 'Amarillo Slim' Preston in his trademark white hat. The picture is from this website in Spanish. I've checked records on cash winning for various WSOP touraments and he's last in the money in 1982 in 9th place. Here WSOP , a notable WSOP records page Home (which also lists 38 players for 1970!) . Also a newspaper archive, likely that @Ulitzer95 has seen that mentions his finish in May 1982, won by Jack Strauss; also gives residence as Houston, Texas. Only other date to add was the day of his 9th place finish given as 22 May 1982. @Ulitzer95 - I'd bet good money that you've made the correct call above. No way would a player reputed to be one of the best, hence his 1970 invite, suddenly stop attending the highlight tourament of the year.
  22. Toast

I note that unique picks do count in the event of a tie-break, so I will be sending in my entry by PM.
  23. Paul Bearer

King Charles III

That was one of my thoughts.
  24. livingbygrace

Sent in my team
  25. polar duck

ah, the Windy City. I have a home advantage here, so I might as well play. [reserved for roster]
  26. ladyfiona

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Taylor Swift just released a double album called The Tortured Poets Department. I thought it was just 16 songs but then I found the anthology and an extra 15 songs. So yes on my day off i've already spent two hours listening to her. Some highlights: thanK you aIMee (it's about Kim Kardashian) Clara Bow The Tortured Poets Department
  27. Ulitzer95

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Times death notice for Peter Gardiner-Hill (wiki), aged 97, first-class cricketer who played just one match (for Oxford University) in 1949(!) Despite his obscurity, good to see a death notice turn up. I had assumed he had died off radar at some point before now. 3 other ancient English first-class cricketers I'm trying to solve: William Faulkner (wiki, born 1923) Royal Air Force. Made a single appearance. Not in the death records. My hunch is emigrated and died abroad. John Stenton (wiki, born 1924) Somerset. I think he's living. Will be interesting to see if a 100th birthday report crops up in October. Kenneth Mathews (wiki, born 1926) Marylebone, Cambridge University, Sussex. Likely still alive.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use