All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. YoungWillz

Curse Of The Eurovision

Semi-Final 2 Well, this is a hell of a semi-final. In a good way, I'd say. Practically anything could proceed, not only because of the way the songs have been drawn, but because of the variance. There are three contenders for least liked imo. Georgia - It doesn't stand up to the competition here, a bit meh. Belgium really could have done with rearranging the song and bringing the orchestra in a bit earlier - meh again. But it is Norway I actively disliked. Some sort of fairytale with a load of screeching and a part where she says she has to drink her brother's blood? No thank you, never ever. (But it's Norway, you never know!). Estonia, Armenia and Greece have all gone the traditional route (Estonia less so), but only Greece has a chance - after a promising start it fell to bits tbh. Switzerland is certainly different, but the opposite problem - starts really badly and gets going. Probably a little too esoteric for the hoi polloi. I found Denmark and Israel a little to formulaic for my liking - good singers,. strong songs - but are they different enough to stand out? Latvia's entry is strong and stands out as one of the few slower numbers here - I'm not sure of it progressing though. Now for the topload. Malta, Albania (yes, bloody Albania), Czechia and Austria have all gone full out on the Europop bandwagon and they are all excellent, but edging it for me is Austria as my favourite of the semi. That came as quite a shock, but it has everything Eurovision could want. Couple of sleepers here. San Marino - it's a bit of a throwback musically, but it's fun and has novelty value. Netherlands - I was actively wondering what had gone on with the Dutch but it is cheesy as fuck with a huge twist at the end (it's not Brotherhood of Man by any means). It's a long way round to have you thinking I'm not liking this and then getting a gut punch at the end. Big Six to follow.
  3. Captain Hemlock

Derby Dead Pool 2024

Not that there was a doubt, but Gossett QO. He's my first hit on my main team this year. https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1883051/louis-gossett-jr-academy-awards-celebrity-death
  4. WEP

Hospitalization Pool

1. Princess of Wales 2. Khaleda Zia 3. Alberto Fujimori 4. Brian Wilson 5. Harald V of Norway 6. Lloyd Austin 7. Pope 8. King Charles III. 9. Rob Burrow 10. Mavis Leno Subs: Shannen Doherty, Milos Zeman
  5. Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool V

Not a game ending hit nor does it put anyone into a winning position. @arghton now has two hits in different categories and @MariNisia has two hits in three categories
  6. Master Obit

Deadpool Detective Work

Yeah I didn't have the highest degree of confidence in it, it was just what seemed possible based on the place name. Winifred M Johnson is far too common of a name for me to really whittle down unfortunately.
  7. Ulitzer95

Deadpool Detective Work

On closer inspection, that appears to be a different person. Family tree here. Leonard Melluish and Winifred Marie Johnson (1916–1976).
  8. Today
  9. Master Obit

Deadpool Detective Work

This https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/49260488:8753 seems to suggest she married and became Winifred Meeluish (possibly a mistranscription of Melluish or Melhuish). No one matching in the index for anything like that as far back as I can go (to 1984). The 17 July 2017 seems to be false though. Beyond that, I can't really do much.
  10. arghton

Ideas and possibilities for 2025

Recent image of Maori King Tūheitia Paki, judge for yourself: Samoa's Tui Ātua Tupua Tamasese Efi attended the same event and seemed to be doing fine. Edit: Doesn't deserve its own post so putting it here, Big Brother Finland competitor Jasmiina Yildiz has cervical cancer spread to the lymph nodes.
  11. Ulitzer95

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

I know. Already edited my post before you posted this.
  12. mymango

1. Jimmy Carter

I've got instant email alerts set up so it's possible, but I think Thatcher will have me beat.
  13. No No its a total vandalism, look at the other articles that this idiot has senselessly added!
  14. Ulitzer95

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

EDIT: Ignore. It was a Wiki vandal.
  15. tracy

Hollywood Possibilities

He nearly died of COVID in 2020 and looked extremely frail last April: https://youtu.be/rZGxgUFTPdU?t=811 He wasn't gonna make 90. Should have been on the list IMO. (Which I'm allowed to say given I argued for him to be picked and he's on my shadow list. )
  16. Captain Hemlock

Deathlist Cup 2024

April list is sent.
  17. YoungWillz

Curse Of The Eurovision

My annual review, stressing it's just personal preference, Part 1. Semi-Final 1 There is much to dislike. Serbia, Ireland and Slovenia have gone completely nuts and are easily bottom of my list. Ukraine have a dirge and a rap combined - Jesus. There's plenty of meh songs too. Australia, Iceland, Azerbaijan and Portugal - all a bit too pedestrian and predictable. Cyprus hauls itself up a little bit from that pack, the message is terrible and left me confused - is she saying a liar is a good thing, or is it making her better? Moldova I rather liked - bunch of dames who pull out and play violins out of nowhere, and best of the slower numbers. And now to the top. Certified bangers - Lithuania - absolutely fine, should pass through to the final no problem, although possibly hampered by being early on the draw. Finland have a banger and novelty and the staging will definitely help it. Well worth a listen/watch. Luxembourg go last in the semi, and that's no issue because it's a great tune. I'm normally no fan of dual language songs but this absolutely works - loved it. My personal fave turns out to be Poland - it's early on, but I really enjoyed it, it all makes sense. Tempo switches might hinder it a little. Total sleeper: Croatia. The lyrics are not, in general the best, especially at the start. But it has a great chorus and beat. And who cannot love a song where the singer meows at a cat and asks the cat to meow back? (Remember wolf and banana?). If this doesn't breeze through, I'll be astonished. I'll pop back when I've listened to the second semi.
  18. Ulitzer95

Hollywood Possibilities

Not sure how you can say it was "overdue". He's in the remake of The Color Purple which literally just came out at the cinema.
  19. Ulitzer95

Deadpool Detective Work

That is some excellent work. Well done!
  20. Ulitzer95

Deadpool Detective Work

Just had a look. Different person. Their birth date was 22 Jan 1921.
  21. Gisooo

Hollywood Possibilities

RIP great actor
  22. Surprise Demise

Deadpool Detective Work

IMDb lists her birth date as 29 May 1921, and there's an Elizabeth Kelly born on that date living in Newcastle at the time of the 1939 register. She married John B 'Peter' Trower in 1943. There's a marriage notice in the Journal that notes her as already being a 'respected actress' so she may have continued performing with her maiden name into the era of television. Anyway, her marriage record lists her maiden initial as 'H', and there's a matching birth in Newcastle on 29 May 1921 for an Elizabeth Hutton Kelly. There's an Elizabeth H Trower born 1921-23 living in Scarborough until at least 2014 on the electoral register. No matching deaths up until Q3 2023, so seems like there's a good chance she's still with us if I've in fact followed the right person here.
  23. Commtech Sio Bibble

Deadpool Detective Work

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but for some reason the search function isn't allowing me to search her full name but there is a GRO death record for an Elizabeth C. Kelly born in 1921 died Q4 2016 in south Tyneside (Kelly was supposedly born in Newcastle). It's not too far before the date of that last confirmed autograph which could have been written before she died and then not posted til afterwards or delayed.
  24. drol

Hollywood Possibilities

Big one and overdue for a while.
  25. Movies&Tennis

Hollywood Possibilities

Oscar winner Louis Gossett Jr dead at 87: https://apnews.com/article/louis-gossett-jr-dies-1e86e1441ec8b614a282f3de22490a07
  26. DCI Frank Burnside

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

The Nolan and his missus one's are very odd. Not like they couldn't have been done on the Kings Birthday list.
  27. Ulitzer95

Deadpool Detective Work

March 2017 according to StarTiger. I'm sure there are several happy birthday posts on Facebook and Twitter after then but not sure how reliable they are.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use