According to The Observer cycling correspondent William Fotheringham:

Laurent Fignon, is suffering from advanced intestinal cancer, which has spread to his pancreas. He is only 48.

Article in Observer Sport Monthly reckons he has months to live...

Twice winner of the Tour de France, Laurent Fignon, has advanced cancer of the digestive system. Nothing to do with the performing-enhancing drugs he took, they reckon. :)

According to The Observer cycling correspondent William Fotheringham:

Laurent Fignon, is suffering from advanced intestinal cancer, which has spread to his pancreas. He is only 48.

I saw that, surely a deffo for the 2010 list, if he makes the start line.

What's the matter with Fignon that I don't know about? I've seen his name in several pools recently...

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest
What's the matter with Fignon that I don't know about? I've seen his name in several pools recently...

regards,

Hein

cancer

regards,

Hein

cancer

advanced intestinal cancer

According to this report in French, his tumours have regressed 17%, but he's not yet in remission. I personally left him off my list but I'm crap at cases like this, so I think that he rounds out the DL list nicely. He might see 2011 or even some cancer-free news, but he's not there yet.

j'ai décidé que je ne mourrais pas !

I fear that disappointment awaits you, mon ami.

Laurent Fignon was not the most popular competitor, not the most amicable chap, but certainly one of the great characters in cycling. His loss against Greg LeMond in the Tour de France of 1989 - just 8 seconds after 3285 kilometers and 87 hrs and 38 minutes! - was unforgettable, and one of my earliest memories of the sport. He's always been quite an eccentric einzelganger, deeply mistrusted because of his temperament, his flamboyance and supposed 'intellectual skills' (he wore glasses and he'd read a book or two, I reckon). The most remarkable thing about his disease (intestinal or pancreatic cancer, depending on which news source you want to believe) is that everyone is trying to link the cancer to his past doping use. I never had the impression that bulk consumers like cyclists or athletes tend to develop cancer more often than ordinary people. I'm sure doping is devastating for your health, but the longterm effects doesn't seem to include cancer, do they?

Laurent Fignon was not the most popular competitor, not the most amicable chap, but certainly one of the great characters in cycling. His loss against Greg LeMond in the Tour de France of 1989 - just 8 seconds after 3285 kilometers and 87 hrs and 38 minutes! - was unforgettable, and one of my earliest memories of the sport. He's always been quite an eccentric einzelganger, deeply mistrusted because of his temperament, his flamboyance and supposed 'intellectual skills' (he wore glasses and he'd read a book or two, I reckon). The most remarkable thing about his disease (intestinal or pancreatic cancer, depending on which news source you want to believe) is that everyone is trying to link the cancer to his past doping use. I never had the impression that bulk consumers like cyclists or athletes tend to develop cancer more often than ordinary people. I'm sure doping is devastating for your health, but the longterm effects doesn't seem to include cancer, do they?

Long term effects are largely unknown, but they have been linked to cardiovascular disease. I suppose that since no one really knows everyone will be linking everything that happens to a formerly-doping athlete to steroids.

Fills column inches, I suppose.

Fignon's treatment is not doing what he hoped for...

On n'a pas encore trouvé comment combattre la maladie", a déclaré dans Paris Match l'ancien champion français Laurent Fignon, qui a annoncé au printemps dernier souffrir d'un cancer. "Lors de mon dernier scanner, on s'est rendu compte que la maladie avait repris son évolution. Malgré un traitement de plus de sept mois, mon cancer a à peine régressé. Je ne suis pas mort, mais pas non plus en voie de guérison."

There is - as we say in the Netherlands - not a word of french in that: Fignon is dying. Only twenty percent of pancreatic cancer patients is alive one year after the diagnosis, so that doesn't look good for him.

There was a brief segment on Fignon during today's ITV4 Tour highlights programme. He's doing some commentary for French TV and his cancer seems fairly stable at the moment, though it's made his voice sound a bit Tommy Cooper-ish.

There was a brief segment on Fignon during today's ITV4 Tour highlights programme. He's doing some commentary for French TV and his cancer seems fairly stable at the moment, though it's made his voice sound a bit Tommy Cooper-ish.

Just like that?

Hmm, he doesn't look that bad these days, does he?

fignon600-c879e.jpg

I believe he has done a lot of the running commentry. Well he was always on France 2 when I tuned in, though that wasn't often due to that horrible thing called work!

Anyway,

for those interested giving lots of info about his state of health.

I'd say his voice was probably midway between the guy in the Noel Edmonds jumper and the guy in the seventies shades at the end of this

I believe he has done a lot of the running commentry. Well he was always on France 2 when I tuned in, though that wasn't often due to that horrible thing called work!

Anyway,

for those interested giving lots of info about his state of health.

I'd say his voice was probably midway between the guy in the Noel Edmonds jumper and the guy in the seventies shades at the end of this

I've heard his voice. It's obvious he's fighting against this shit. As my own father had suffered from this crap, I won't predict his death

Guest Guest

He's number 4. RIP

Guest WEP
BBC-obit Edited by Magere Hein
Link fixed

I mourn the death of a fine sportsman and, judging by a few interviews I've seen, nice person.

I'm glad that DL finally has its fourth hit.

regards,

Hein

I mourn the death of a fine sportsman and, judging by a few interviews I've seen, nice person.

I'm glad that DL finally has its fourth hit.

regards,

Hein

I second that! I already expressed my feelings towards Fignon more specifically here. He certainly will be remembered as one of the greatest champions in cycling.

(And a little cheer to myself for a quite lucrative DDP-success! Fignon's 9 points brought me back in the top-50, I suppose. Still feeling bitter about the missing Mayer-obit, though, that would have secured me a place in the top-20... :wub: )