Grim Reaper

Helmut Schmidt

Guest new

He has been in decline for a few years now and with the recent death of his wife the odds are not bad, especially when taking into consideration his heart surgery saga. He himself, however, thinks he might have a few more years left in him and is continuing to work as a publisher and occasional political commentator. I personally believe he could be right but at 90 plus, all bets are off. While watching this Helmut we should also keep a keen eye on "Helmut the second", Helmut Kohl. Being Schmidt's immediate successor, Kohl is significantly younger and just married a gal half his age but is also a few 100 pounds overweight and has been featured during some recent official functions where his pronounciation was barely understandable and his walk appeared more than just a little bit unstable and quite slow

Low hanging fruit I suspect.

I think Kohl would be a banker next year if he manages to survive this one - which looks a bit doubtful. B)

Mr Schmidt has been quoted 2 days ago in New York Times, on the Greek Financial crisis that "Germany should show some heart" to our plate smashing, financially challenged european comrades.

I wonder if this is a sign, that he knows that he may be giving fiscal advice very soon to the Greek Gods??

Guest Your friendly Guest

I was a bit shocked when i saw him on TV in a wheelchair. He once said he had pain while walking in an interview some time before when he was not in the wheelchair yet so I think he could walk if he could bear the pain but it's still a bad sign. It's amazing that he had heart trouble for decades and has a heartmaker and is a chain smoker for probably all his life and is almost 94 now. Maybe the menthols keep him fresh. I think he still has a few more years because he just seems to be stable by nature no matter what. Helmut Kohl on the other hand already looks like his own wax figure and is in declining health although younger. He would be a better bet indeed. I know that this is maybe not the place because you want your bets to come true, but Helmut Schmidt is one of the few likeable politicians we have in Germany and I really wish him at least 6 more years with the ability of chainsmoking in interviews and therefore living against all odds as usual.

Guest Guested

He looks remarkably good for a 93 year old in that video and clearly still got his marbles. Although people in their 90s can go at any time despite appearing to be healthy (especially men, just look at Mr Dunn) on the balance of probabilities he might have a few more years left in him.

He looks remarkably good for a 93 year old in that video and clearly still got his marbles. Although people in their 90s can go at any time despite appearing to be healthy (especially men, just look at Mr Dunn) on the balance of probabilities he might have a few more years left in him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he outlasts the younger Helmut

Guest Guest

We don't seem to have mentioned this bloke anywhere but Richard von Weizsäcker, President when Kohl was Chancellor, is still alive at 92. He maybe one to keep an eye on.

Indeed.In fact there are currently 57 former presidents and prime ministers over the age of 90 as you can see here http://en.wikipedia....g_state_leaders I've been keeping an eye on them all.Only one has died this year so far

We don't seem to have mentioned this bloke anywhere but Richard von Weizsäcker, President when Kohl was Chancellor, is still alive at 92. He maybe one to keep an eye on.

Indeed.In fact there are currently 57 former presidents and prime ministers over the age of 90 as you can see here http://en.wikipedia....g_state_leaders I've been keeping an eye on them all.Only one has died this year so far

Very interesting list.

I am a bit concerned that most of the names on the list that are familiar are only so because I have read them on this site.

May be teachers of A level politics should get each of their students to compile a statesman Deathlist and offer a prize so it would encourage them to do Research.

Helmut Schmidt has recently been on a media tour:

Here he is saying that the EU is in a deep institutional crisis:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/altkanzler-helmut-schmidt-sieht-eu-institutionen-in-der-krise-a-902711.html

Here is his new book that came out last month:

http://www.amazon.de/Ein-letzter-Besuch-Begegnungen-Weltmacht/dp/3827500346/ref=la_B001HPX2P2_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369912412&sr=1-1

Here he is talking on german television about China last week:

http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/talk/beckmann/sendung/02052013-weltmaechte-der-zukunft-100.html

He still looks remarkably well and is probably going to last a while longer. He mentions though that it's "his last visit to France", or that it was "his last visit to China."

Ex-Chancellor 'hoards 38,000 cigarettes'

Famous for his love of smoking, popular German ex-Chancellor Helmut Schmidt apparently has 38,000 menthol cigarettes stashed in his house. He is, a top politician let slip on Tuesday, scared the EU will ban them.

• Like 1

Ex-Chancellor 'hoards 38,000 cigarettes'

Famous for his love of smoking, popular German ex-Chancellor Helmut Schmidt apparently has 38,000 menthol cigarettes stashed in his house. He is, a top politician let slip on Tuesday, scared the EU will ban them.

I guess that means he'll be the "star" of a shite documentary on Channel 4/BBC3 any day now. "EuroHoarders" perhaps?

Guest hatefulpric

Beg to differ, Helmut just bought upwards of 3,000 packs of menthol cigarettes, which he is stowing in his freezer, because the EU plans on banning them. So I think he has designs on staying around for a while if he's still smoking at his age.

Seems like notable German and Japanese people never die. Maybe winning WW2 wasn't the better deal after all. :smoking-smiley:

http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/6398

You know, this is – how can I say – my farewell visit to Russia, because it has become very difficult for me to travel; I didn’t even really want to come here, because it truly is quite difficult for me. But ultimately, you must say your proper goodbyes to your neighbours, right? I have already visited China, the United States, Italy and France. But it was particularly important for me to come here, because I remember that at the end of the last century, in 1999, at the end of this century, at the end of the next century – we will always remain neighbours. In spite of any economic developments, or military developments, we will always be bound by fate; we will always remain neighbours. Granted, we have Poland and Ukraine between us, as well as other nations. But in good times and in bad times, we nevertheless remain neighbours forever – neighbours who depend on one another.

Guest Guest

Schmidt will live to be 100 and more .I bet all my money on it

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum 95. Geburtstag, Herr Schmidt! :party:

And he still smokes like a chimney!

Low hanging fruit I suspect.

Not bad then, for low hanging fruit three years ago!

• Like 1

His press secretary, Klaus Bölling, is dead at 87:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/ex-regierungssprecher-klaus-boelling-ist-tot-a-1000637.html (german link)

The man himself is still in adequately good shape. Two weeks ago, he was talking about how the two major german parties are pretty much alike nowadays:

http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/helmut-schmidt/ist-es-egal-wer-deutschland-regiert-38287944.bild.html (also a german link)