Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Deathlist Art Gallery - Our Favourite Pictures

Post your favourite paintings or works of art here. 

Or any that you think are striking, or have an interesting story.

Starting with Gas by Edward Hopper.   A simple but slightly unnerving scene that could be in a Stephen King story.

1160577472_GasbyEdwardHopper.thumb.jpg.3344ac0b878f745338f99fda13f5cbb0.jpg

• Like 3

Bear with me on this. I went to the Tate Modern about 4 years ago now, expecting to find lots of sophisticated classics to ponder over. One of the first exhibits I saw was this:

T12359_10.thumb.jpg.984241d7c24d85408b60096e4d32b551.jpg

I've just looked it up, it's Untitled by David Shrigley OBE. Fancy not coming up with a title for this; surely the name creates itself?

Now, I'm no art critic, but this is just profanity scrawled in a fire ball that's parked in front of an isosceles triangle. There's no real rationale to it, and yet many things to discuss: is this a protest at solar eclipses in general "Fuck the eclipse :rant:", or could it perhaps be missing a comma and be the petrified utterance of someone who's afraid of the dark "Fuck, the eclipse! :o"? What was going through the artist's mind when he created this piece? Was he pissed? What was his reaction when he completed the piece? And, indeed, what was the reaction of the first person he showed this to - did they try and get him sectioned?

I know it's fucking daft but it stood out because it taught me that even the most simple and silly things can be oddly intriguing, and also that, on the basis of the quality of the work, I could become an artist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Predictable, perhaps. 

5B31502D-2075-4549-BEF7-1006D060BDDA.jpeg

That's going to fucking give me the sort of horrifying nightmares that no type of cheese could possibly manage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dali's Christ Of St John Of The Cross.

How vandals nearly destroyed Glasgow's iconic Salvador Dali ...

Unless you've actually stood in front of it, you can't explain how breathtaking it is, even if it's somewhat iconographic.

If you are ever lucky enough to have the chance to see it in person, do.

• Like 3

Let's follow that with this, then!

The Shadow Of Death by William Holman Hunt.

William_holman_hunt-the_shadow_of_death.thumb.jpg.25dba2c5f7068f878899d61a42941358.jpg

A very interesting painting, full of symbolism.

http://www.williamholmanhunt.org/shadow-of-death

I freely admit that I adore the Pre-Raphaelites.  I love paintings that tell a story, or show us part of a story and leave us to guess the rest.

Spoiler

Relativity by M. C. Escher:

mc-escher-relativity.thumb.jpg.bf9bdf1325d14ca4835fa4b8e628b690.jpg

Can't lie that I'm not equipped to understand most visual art. Maths passed off as art, like this, is more up my street. There's no kind of emotional provocation in this picture. All it asks of you is to decide which way is 'up'.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Toast said:

Let's follow that with this, then!

The Shadow Of Death by William Holman Hunt.

William_holman_hunt-the_shadow_of_death.thumb.jpg.25dba2c5f7068f878899d61a42941358.jpg

A very interesting painting, full of symbolism.

http://www.williamholmanhunt.org/shadow-of-death

I freely admit that I adore the Pre-Raphaelites.  I love paintings that tell a story, or show us part of a story and leave us to guess the rest.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

I'm quite fond of Frans Hals' portraits; here's a painting of a bloke holding a skull.

Portrait of a Man Holding a Skull | Art UK

• Thanks 1

Two painters have always stood out for me, Claude Monet with his waterlilies and Wassily Kandinsky:

Claude Monet Japanese Bridge Original | Claude Monet - Japanese ...

Wassily Kandinsky - 193 Artworks, Bio & Shows on Artsy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really like the Art Déco Style, especially the style of Tamara de Lempicka.

KUNST114019.jpg

• Like 3

I was always a fan of Van Clomp.

Screenshot_20200724-125622.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Dali's Christ Of St John Of The Cross.

How vandals nearly destroyed Glasgow's iconic Salvador Dali ...

Unless you've actually stood in front of it, you can't explain how breathtaking it is, even if it's somewhat iconographic.

If you are ever lucky enough to have the chance to see it in person, do.

I have and I stood in front of it for about 15 minutes whilst Mrs GUN wandered round looking at old pots and stuff that she would never remember beyond the afternoon - I couldn't understand why anyone was looking at anything else there apart from this painting (but I was pleased they were). 

• Like 1

Whilst I am a big fan of Flaming June by Lord Frederic Leighton I saw the painting below by him, Cymon and Iphigenia, which I like even more. 

For anyone interested (from Wikipedia) the painting depicts Iphigenia sleeping in the woods and Cymon, a young nobleman, stands gazing at her beauty which fills him with inspiration.[9] After seeing her, Cymon changes from a badly mannered lout to an ideal polymath. Nahum felt it "emphasised the transforming power of beauty."

I wanted a print for my house but Mrs Gun wouldn't have it despite me even trying to convince her that it reflected the transformational impact her great beauty had had on me.

Cymon looks down on the sleeping Iphigenia who is lying with her arms raised above her head

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As a noted umm art connoisseur, I wouldn't say they're particularly big.

2 scratched hives?

34 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As a noted umm art connoisseur, I wouldn't say they're particularly big.

The Barbara Windsor effect .....

Could you post your contribution, Harry, your avatar is too small for us to appreciate it.

29 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Whilst I am a big fan of Flaming June by Lord Frederic Leighton I saw the painting below by him, Cymon and Iphigenia, which I like even more. 

For anyone interested (from Wikipedia) the painting depicts Iphigenia sleeping in the woods and Cymon, a young nobleman, stands gazing at her beauty which fills him with inspiration.[9] After seeing her, Cymon changes from a badly mannered lout to an ideal polymath. Nahum felt it "emphasised the transforming power of beauty."

I wanted a print for my house but Mrs Gun wouldn't have it despite me even trying to convince her that it reflected the transformational impact her great beauty had had on me.

Cymon looks down on the sleeping Iphigenia who is lying with her arms raised above her head

Sadly my beauty always seemed to have the opposite effect  :unsure:

But that's fabulous, I've never seen that one before. 

Typically in a Pre-Raphaelite scene there is so much more than a first glance suggests.  The other sleeping people, the dog, the sun setting ...

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Could you post your contribution, Harry, your avatar is too small for us to appreciate it.

I've added it to the original post. Technically, I suppose the artwork is a photograph, as it's Boty standing in front of a self-portrait. Arguably underrated, possibly because she didn't look like O'Keeffe or Kahlo, let alone Monet or Pollock.

Is that enough namedropping for everyone?

• Thanks 1

I might join in then. So you might have heard of horror writer M.R. James given the number of TV adaptations of his work the BBC and others have done. Or complete steals ala Drag Me To Hell. Or the 50s Night of the Demon, which is a bloody good horror film.

What you might not know is that the original collections of his work were meant to be illustrated.

Anyhow, in 1904, plans were made for his best friend, James McBryde to fully illustrate a collection of 8 tales. And then, after drawing 4 of the pictures... McBryde took ill of appendicitis, and died aged 29. His wife Gwendolyn was 3 months pregnant and when Jane was born, M.R. James became her legal guardian and financially supported the family for the rest of his life. But he put a block on anyone illustrating his stories while he lived, as no one could do them the justice he felt James McBryde could.

2015-08-24-a-frightful-collaboration.jpg

• Like 1