msc

DDP 2021 Town Hall

So in 5 months, we'll be into another DDP year, somehow. To quote Spade in 2017, Consider this thread an open platform for any suggestions, questions or long-running issues you have with the DDP, the scoring, the website itself or just go "STOP CANCER MUMS" repeatedly.  Obits, bonus points, whatever you like.

But first and foremost, have a gander at this announcement concerning a rule change for the Derby Dead Pool going forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fitting that someone whose first DDP hit was Etta James announces one of the big "at last" moments of the DDP.

• Like 2

Just now, Death Impends said:

Fitting that someone whose first DDP hit was Etta James announces one of the big "at last" moments of the DDP.

Unanimous decision by the three Cmme members on passing some sort of ban. We got permission to borrow Deathray's Rules too from, err, a passing stranger. As much as I got fecked off with his spamming us about it in January, it is the clearest set out rules around on what constitutes FFBI.

• Like 3

This isn't going to please everybody, but I do think this kind of centrism is the only real solution to the problem. It does allow us to keep the Kate Granger/Samantha Last-style picks while rooting out (to name two of DQSP's alumni) Jay Clark (literally just a "cancer dad's last Christmas" pick) or Paul Briggs (who was braindead and not of any note up until he had his motorcycle accident).

At long fucking last...... 

This really is a step forward for the DDP and dead-pooling as a whole. 

Congrats to the DDP committee  for finally tackling this cursed issue head on... 

Oh and while were on the subject of changes - can we fuck off the Drop 40 bonus and go back to just having the unique bonus. To me the Drop 40 bonus has just encouraged lazy teams..... 

Agree with/well done on tightening both the FFBI and the theme teams.

Question: does the ban extend to family members of famous individuals (à la Andrea Swift, Brett Sinclair, Angie Douthit, etc.) ?

21 minutes ago, Banana said:

Question: does the ban extend to family members of famous individuals (à la Andrea Swift, Brett Sinclair, Angie Douthit, etc.) ?

Brett Sinclair was a minor actor with an IDMB page so is arguably notable in his own right - Andrea Swift also has IDMB page for her producing work and self appearances - many pre cancer.

19 minutes ago, Banana said:

I think it would be really useful if you worked down the checklist provided for each of these people and published the result as you see it based on the flow of questions.

Then maybe someone from the Committee will be along to tell you if you got it right or not :D

• Haha 1

I thought that the new rule concerned FFBI people, and not "family of the famous" * which is a different category.

*  Yet.

On another point, I would be restricting people to one main team, plus one theme team if they wish.  I think that's quite enough for the game runners to handle, and should be enough for anybody.

32 minutes ago, Toast said:

I thought that the new rule concerned FFBI people, and not "family of the famous" * which is a different category.

*  Yet.

On another point, I would be restricting people to one main team, plus one theme team if they wish.  I think that's quite enough for the game runners to handle, and should be enough for anybody.

Yes, FFBI specific. There was lots of debate on where the line specifically was, fame wise, so it was easier to start with "these picks have to go" and then build from that point basically.

• Like 1

Any idea on if the obit requirements will be updated in any capacity come 2021? Not saying everything should come back (stuff like Yahoo and Huff Post are rightfully axed), but The Independent would be nice for some of the more interesting folk who missed out on a UK obit due to that cut (Albert Memmi a very recent example of that). 

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Any idea on if the obit requirements will be updated in any capacity come 2021? Not saying everything should come back (stuff like Yahoo and Huff Post are rightfully axed), but The Independent would be nice for some of the more interesting folk who missed out on a UK obit due to that cut (Albert Memmi a very recent example of that). 

It would reflect the modern media landscape to bring back The Independent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

I think it would be really useful if you worked down the checklist provided for each of these people and published the result as you see it based on the flow of questions.

Then maybe someone from the Committee will be along to tell you if you got it right or not :D

Apologies, I skimmed by the paragraph.

I'm okay with these changes but Maude Apatow needs to be allowed next year. She's an actress in her own right and a bit of an inside DDP joke.

4 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

I'm okay with these changes but Maude Apatow needs to be allowed next year. She's an actress in her own right and a bit of an inside DDP joke.

She will be..... she's an actress in her own right. 

6 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

I have no objection as long as she submits her team in time.

• Haha 4

What is the definition of Local. Say if a local councillor got articles based on their illness - would they be notable due to their position in the community.

9 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

An actress is obviously notable by definition. As she has several notable credits under her names I'm a bit lost as why she wouldn't be allowed.

A 23 year old actress is almost certainly a duff pick, mind you.

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

What is the definition of Local. Say if a local councillor got articles based on their illness - would they be notable due to their position in the community.

Politicians are notable.

adjective
adjective: local

relating or restricted to a particular area or one's neighbourhood.
    "researching local history"

denoting a telephone call made to a nearby place and charged at a relatively low rate.
    denoting a train or bus serving a particular district, with frequent stops.
    "the village has an excellent local bus service"

(in technical use) relating to a particular region or part, or to each of any number of these.
"a local infection"

noun
noun: local; plural noun: locals

an inhabitant of a particular area or neighbourhood.
    "the street was full of locals and tourists"

Hope that helps....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Yes. That filter is literally just STOP CANCER MUMS codified......

Anyone want to help me work out how many of this year's picks might fail the new rules.

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Anyone want to help me work out how many of this year's picks might fail the new rules.

definitely not

• Haha 1

On 01/08/2020 at 11:55, The Old Crem said:

Yes.I would think so.

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

At  a very quick glance of the Who's Dead section - Leanne Barrett, Karl Butler, Gemma Sisson. Still alive - Debbie Winn, James Matthews, Lisa Fry etc.

Think about 20-30 names in total out of 10, 000. Which just goes to show how unneeded they are.

I remain baffled as to why death notices are excluded.

Has there ever been a situation in eternity where a death notice has been faked (for DDP purposes)?