msc

DDP 2021 Town Hall

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I remain baffled as to why death notices are excluded.

Has there ever been a situation in eternity where a death notice has been faked (for DDP purposes)?

No but one could be. It's £30 to get a death notice published in The Times. It's too great a temptation.

• Thanks 1

I believe the issue is DDP players can game the system by paying for death notices for their picks in theory? The floor is open for folks views anyhow.

EDIT - Or I could have waited 2 mins for Spade to reply...

• Thanks 1

I just think the DDP offers no reward really. Laying out cold hard dosh for a few points seems well....

And given the exclusion of FFBI I petition for their reinstatement.

(Bloody Philip Latham....) :lol:

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I just think the DDP offers no reward really. Laying out cold hard dosh for a few points seems well....

And given the exclusion of FFBI I petition for their reinstatement.

(Bloody Philip Latham....) :lol:

I can see the pros and cons of them, and the non Cmme are currently 2-1 against so more opinions are useful. The Cmme's slow ongoing investigations of next years game didn't even consider the death notices so far.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I remain baffled as to why death notices are excluded.

Seriously?  That would mean absolutely anybody would count.  (If they died, obviously.)

It would completely dispense with the requirement that picks should be famous or notable in some way.

Just now, Toast said:

Seriously?  That would mean absolutely anybody would count.  (If they died, obviously.)

It would completely dispense with the requirement that picks should be famous or notable in some way.

Not really.

The hurdle for submission to the DDP still exists - you have to get your pick through the admission process and that has nothing to do with whether a notice is published in a national. We aren't talking about the Evening Times or the Express and Star here.

I think the bigger issue is that Philip Latham should’ve gotten a QO in general. The fact that other publications didn’t make an obit for him is really stunning. 
I still don’t think the paid death notices should come back mind, then you could pick any obscure person, pay the notices the right amount of money and get points, and I really don’t think that’s moral. 

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

Aww great, that PM I just sent to the other 2 Cmme members on this is already out of date. :lol:

3-1 (Spade, Toast, Joey; Willz) against now.

It's also fascinating that many of the List of the Lost actually don't have death notices in a national.

Hey, only thinking out loud for a giggle and the opportunity to mention Latham again. But although this won't matter going forward, tell me again why folk who do pick famous folk are diminished by the Gemma Sissons of this world. I mean look even at Karl Butler with his BBC obit.

Seriously telling me there aren't more local celebs who are getting national coverage? Meh. Quote morality at me? Meh. ;):lol:

25 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not really.

The hurdle for submission to the DDP still exists - you have to get your pick through the admission process and that has nothing to do with whether a notice is published in a national. We aren't talking about the Evening Times or the Express and Star here.

What hurdle is that? 

Also, how about including The Stage for Qobit purposes?

Retains the British Qobit requirements and covers the UK.

Anyway, that's enough thinking out loud.

These types of picks aren’t going to make or break a team. And if they do, then you would just be able to game the system and pay for it. Just pick better names people. 

Edit: you could always just pester the writers of these obits on twitter and hope they actually do one. 

• Like 1

Personally if I look back at the DDP from my time here there really isn't any evidence people are picking their dying mates for points on a game.

Plenty of niche picks but nothing apart from the FFBI that really rankles.

Let's face it - John Blow, local gardener who once shook hands with Her Majesty and had a cup of tea is likely to get a TV local obit. And they are allowed. Not sure I'm seeing an increase in John Blow types....

(John Blow is made up, before anyone asks!).

Acht as they say in these parts. "We the people seeking a more perfect DDP..." :lol:

As everyone's least favourite bossy sod, consider this one more week to go "bring back this QO", "what about this" "I want 10 points for a unique pick" and so on before the Cmme seal the game tweaks for 2021.

11 hours ago, msc said:

As everyone's least favourite bossy sod, consider this one more week to go "bring back this QO", "what about this" "I want 10 points for a unique pick" and so on before the Cmme seal the game tweaks for 2021.

Allow a mention on Last Word to count.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2020 at 23:03, msc said:

At  a very quick glance of the Who's Dead section - Leanne Barrett, Karl Butler, Gemma Sisson. Still alive - Debbie Winn, James Matthews, Lisa Fry etc.

Think about 20-30 names in total out of 10, 000. Which just goes to show how unneeded they are.

Cancer mum Debbie Winn died in July - only this local obit though:

https://www.bridgwatermercury.co.uk/news/18866833.teens-charity-walk-memory-mum/

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Cancer mum Debbie Winn died in July

Debbie Winn lost in July surely?