I swear we had one of these but can't find oy, a snooker equivelant for the football thread in EC. 

Discussion of snooker, the sport, as we enter the World Championship as we head into the new season. 

I'm really looking forward to O'Sullivan vs Thepchaiya Un-Nooh. 

Should be good. 

• Like 1

We used to have a poster called Deathray, it''s oddly surprising he never started one.

He promoted a few snooker forums around here that he'd started, curious that making a whole new forum seemed easier than a thread. Oh well.

He's banned now mind, nothing to do with snooker though.

• Haha 2

O'Sullivan breezes an 8-1 lead overnight against Thepchaiya - who didn't really make more than a handful of mistakes. Not quite as close as most of us hoped....

Yan Bigtao takes a 7-1 overnight lead in a dull morning session that went on so long they only played 8 of the scheduled 9 frames. There due to finish tomorrow afternoon.

Higgins books his place in the second round a comfortable 10 v 5 over Matthew Stevens......

Both of this evening sessions, Neil Robertson 5 v 4 LLiang Wenbo and David Gilbert 4 v 5 Kurt Maflin are nicely poised.... 

I don't think we need another snooker thread.  We already have one.  However, if the other admins are happy to keep this one too, then so be it. 

Are we starting threads for every single ‘sport’ ever invented now?  Bagsy me starting one about curling, or Olympic knitting, or extreme toenail clipping.

3 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Are we starting threads for every single ‘sport’ ever invented now?  Bagsy me starting one about curling, or Olympic knitting, or extreme toenail clipping.

Well, football has its own thread and that sport is about as entertaining as plucking hairs out of your own bollocks with a JCB digger, so motorsport and beer sports (à la snooker) are absolutely worthy of discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

I don't think we need another snooker thread.  We already have one.  However, if the other admins are happy to keep this one too, then so be it. 

It's pretty clear what the intention of this thread is - a bit like the footy one - talking about the sport rather than those who once played and are now dead, unless your going to merge football with Time Added you don't really have much case to lock/merge this one with the Alex Higgins one.... 

25 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Neither of those sports are anywhere near as popular as motorsports or snooker. 

59 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Neither of those sports are anywhere near as popular as motorsports or snooker. 

Balderdash!  You haven’t lived until you’ve been in a screaming crowd of 50 thousand people cheering on a particularly tricky ‘knit one purl one’ manoeuvre! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Eye of the beholder though Lardy. What if, say, it had been Motorcycle Racing?

Though I will admit that probably is a better fit for this place than that notoriously hazardous snooker, Willie Thorne, Alex Higgins, Bill Werebeniuk going back a bit and adding 35 pints a session notwithstanding...hmmm, come to think of it, As you were.

Anyway, I'd enter Olympic Knitting, I must stand a chance if I learn how to.

12 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Though I will admit that probably is a better fit for this place than that notoriously hazardous snooker, Willie Thorne, Alex Higgins, Bill Werebeniuk going back a bit and adding 35 pints a session notwithstanding...hmmm, come to think of it, As you were.

Covered under the Motorsports thread that was literally started a few hours ago....

And this thread isn't about likeliness of death, it's about the matches.

Robertson in a commanding position 8-5 up and 40 points to the good. 

16 minutes ago, En Passant said:

There’s already a chequered flag topic though, and a snooker thread, don’t see the point of duplicated threads meself. But there isn’t one for knitting! 

23 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

And this thread isn't about likeliness of death, it's about the matches.

What you really need then is, let me think, ah yes, a snooker forum.

Thing is, if there were threads for all sports "results" as opposed to being at least tangentially connected with, you know, carking it. the actual Deathlisty stuff would be buried under 135 threads of football drivel and so would everything else.

17 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

But there isn’t one for knitting! 

A tragic oversight,.

I shall fix that immediately by starting my 2nd ever thread.

Ok, actually, you know what? Nvm.

• Haha 1

Just now, En Passant said:

What you really need then is, let me think, ah yes, a snooker forum.

Thing is, if there were a threads for all sports "results" as opposed to being at least tangentially connected with, you know, carking it. the actual Deathlisty stuff would be buried under 135 threads of football drivel and so would everything else.

A tragic oversight,.

I shall fix that immediately by starting my 2nd ever thread.

Ok, actually, you know what? Nvm.

No it wouldn't, because these threads are in Extra-Curricular deliberately to avoid that issue.... 

27 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

There’s already a chequered flag topic though, and a snooker thread, don’t see the point of duplicated threads meself. But there isn’t one for knitting! 

Admittedly it's not a specific sports-knitting thread and is more for rodent-related news, but I'm sure nobody would object to you using the Knitting for Hamsters thread.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

No it wouldn't, because these threads are in Extra-Curricular deliberately to avoid that issue.... 

Bit of history then, as i said up above somewhere, that Deathers used to post about snooker results from time to time, but there wasn't a great deal of response (though I may be mis-recalling, perhaps others can correct me on that). I even checked on one of his snooker forum 'here' links, but it was sadly a 404 not found.

However, I wish you good luck in your endeavours.

33 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Neil Robertson has won through to next round...

Well, I think I will have a celebratory wank now, such is the frenzy of excitement that is snooker.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well, I think I will have a celebratory wank now, such is the frenzy of excitement that is snooker.

It's brilliant is it.

Some old school antics from Kurt Maflin tonight after losing position on a 147 attempt

hau7jqdrhne51.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=402f0b5e0a434e48f69287a0a4c7aa52804b5d00

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Dust, anybody, no? Dust?

Oh, sorry, wrong thread :lol:

Yan Bigtao narrowly avoids getting the bottle-job champion of the world award by winning 10-7 after being 9-2 up at one point..... 

An incredible match between Jack Lisowski and Anthony McGill tonight. 

McGill eventually winning 10-9 with an excellent pot on the blue from about 10.5-11ft distance from the blue to the white with just the blue, pink and black on the table and both players needing blue and pink to win..... 

Now that's a good close match.... 

On the opposite spectrum Ronnie beat Thepchaiya-Un_Nooh 10-1 in a crucible record of 108 minutes for a Best of 19.

So the first round is almost over and the second round is almost upon us. Due to the way crucible matches are scheduled (to guarantee at least 8 frames a session for viewers or more normally ticket paying audience) we won't know 2 of the second round players until after the first 2 round matches are underwater. In addition there's still 1 match to be finished tonight, I'll update as we get clarity.

So the draw for the second round currently looks like.....

(Best of 25 over 3 sessions - 8 frames, 8 frames, 9 frames) 

Judd Trump v Yan Bigtao (6 & 7 August)

Martin Gould v Kyren Wilson (8 & 9 August)

John Higgins 3 v 5 Kurt Maflin (5 and 6 August)

Anthony McGill v Jamie Clarke (7, 8 & 9 August)

------

Mark Williams 5 v 3 Stuart Bingham (5, 6 & 7 August)

Ding Junhui v Ronnie O'Sullivan (7,8 & 9 August)

Mark Selby v Noppon Saengkham (6 & 7 August)

Barry Hawkins v Neil Robertson (8 & 9 August)

What an exciting second round. But the standout match is of course that Ding v Ronnie match, the kind of match you'd expect to be a quarter or a semi, not a second round.

Higgins makes first 147 at the crucible for 8 years since Stephen Hendry in 2012. Bringing the all time total at crucible to 11 (3 by Hendry, 3 by O'Sullivan and one each for Ali Carter, John Higgins, Cliff Thorburn, Jimmy White and Mark Williams.) 

4 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Higgins makes first 147 at the crucible for 8 years since Stephen Hendry in 2012. Bringing the all time total at crucible to 11 (3 by Hendry, 3 by O'Sullivan and one each for Ali Carter, John Higgins, Cliff Thorburn, Jimmy White and Mark Williams.) 

Good achievement but he is out of the tournament I’m sure he would prefer to still be in it but not make the 147, still money will be a nice way to soften the blow. I feel a bit sorry for bloke who was winning the highest break prize before the 147 yes it is a nice little earner for Higgins but £15K highest break prize or whatever it was would of probably been life changing for him. 

Well played Kurt Maflin though glad he knocked Higgins out he has been into enough finals and won it 4 times let someone else have a go as long as it isn’t Ronnie O’SullIvan I know will get slated for this but I hate how every tournament turns into the Ronnie show like know one else matters, yes he is a genius on the baize and he is one of if not the greatest players to pick up a cue but everything around him is so Over the top, his constant threats of Quitting the game and how he doesn’t enjoy it anymore all done so he gets more attention does my head in he makes out he is doing Snooker a favour just by turning up and everyone in snooker just play up to him. Great player but his antics and the over top coverage he gets every time he plays whilst never getting criticism like the rest of the players in case it upsets him really annoys me. 

• Like 1