Sign in to follow this  
TQR

Motorsport

21 minutes ago, time said:

My 1991 Oxford dictionary does include 'gifted' as a verb, meaning to 'bestow', so it would appear to have been around in that sense for a lot longer than I thought. (For the record I also disapprove of this usage). I have heard 'trousering' being used, in the sense that 'pocketing' would have sufficed, but 'toying', surely has been around for years, as in toying with someone's affection/emotions etc.?

I'm aware that it's been around as a verb for a long time, but it hasn't been commonly used to mean "give" until recently.

As for trousering and toying, yes, they are fine in the contexts you describe.  What I mean is the equivalent of the recently adopted "Snacking" instead of "Snacks" in supermarket jargon, and indeed "Gifting" instead of "Gifts".

13 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

'It is what it is.'

:evil:

'24/7'

:evil: :evil:

:2guns:“1,000%”

8 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

:2guns:“1,000%”

This is one of Mr LB the Second’s biggest annoyances, so I ensure I use it on a regular basis. 

Horrifying crash in Bahrain just now. Romain Grosjean is a lucky, lucky man to walk away from that.

60B50AFE-4260-42F4-843D-1C01BBE3A661.jpeg.d8d16e6e232f3796c3e7a4b57fae7a53.jpeg

597015FD-DB84-4A88-AF7A-CC3F8AE8DBD2.thumb.jpeg.06e69ce3863741f52b92c946accaffaa.jpeg

7BA3F62D-27F7-44F3-B330-11F20CD0FBC7.thumb.jpeg.f0b4d2c98eddd4c6e49f8a2b3948b4ed.jpeg

• Shocked 1

Fucking hell...

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Wow, he was lucky the marshals knew what they were doing. Tetsuya Ota's crash in 1998 is a perfect example of how not to respond to fire.

• Like 1

Romain’s being kept in hospital overnight with burnt hands. Otherwise okay.

On 29/11/2020 at 20:46, The Quim Reaper said:

Romain’s being kept in hospital overnight with burnt hands. Otherwise okay.

Cor, what I’d give for a man with fingers that wide :lol:

• Haha 1

A most extraordinary Grand Prix in Sakhir as George Russell and Valtteri Bottas’ 1-2 for Mercedes gets raped in a ditch by their pit crew.

They put mismatched Bottas tyres on Russell’s car, then after spending half a minute sodding about with Bottas’ car they sent him back out on his old, fucked out tyres. Meanwhile, they have to pit Russell again for tyres that are designated for his car, only for one of those to go pop.

Mercedes’ 44 points ended up being 7. Someone in their garage is very, very fucking sacked.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

A most extraordinary Grand Prix in Sakhir as George Russell and Valtteri Bottas’ 1-2 for Mercedes gets raped in a ditch by their pit crew.

They put mismatched Bottas tyres on Russell’s car, then after spending half a minute sodding about with Bottas’ car they sent him back out on his old, fucked out tyres. Meanwhile, they have to pit Russell again for tyres that are designated for his car, only for one of those to go pop.

Mercedes’ 44 points ended up being 7. Someone in their garage is very, very fucking sacked.

I do hate modern Formula One!

Murray Walker has died

The intention of this thread was more discussion rather than deaths (that’s what the Chequered Flag thread on the main forum is for), but this is Murray Walker. Huge, huge loss to the world of motorsport.

He helped me fall in love with it when I was a littlun, same goes for my Dad. Old or young, professional or just a fan, he was an icon and an inspiration to all. His commentary was perfectly imperfect, with his “prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong” and his “excuse me while I interrupt myself” urgency. I enjoy watching classic Grands Prix on the F1 channel when I’ve a couple of hours spare, and that’s partly down to enjoying the race being punctuated by Murray and his ‘isms’, and also partly down to him again that motorsport is such a big part of my life.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The intention of this thread was more discussion rather than deaths (that’s what the Chequered Flag thread on the main forum is for), but this is Murray Walker. Huge, huge loss to the world of motorsport.

He helped me fall in love with it when I was a littlun, same goes for my Dad. Old or young, professional or just a fan, he was an icon and an inspiration to all. His commentary was perfectly imperfect, with his “prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong” and his “excuse me while I interrupt myself” urgency. I enjoy watching classic Grands Prix on the F1 channel when I’ve a couple of hours spare, and that’s partly down to enjoying the race being punctuated by Murray and his ‘isms’, and also partly down to him again that motorsport is such a big part of my life.

Yes, It is fitting that he is discussed on this thread too, the man WAS British motorsport.

I don't think there is or ever will be a man who loved the sport so much and made everybody else love it in his commentating.

It was never the same when he retired, it will never be the same now that he has gone.

• Like 1