The Old Crem

15. Glynis Johns

For someone who is 96, in a nursing home (The location of which seems to be uncertain) and a regular on the Crowd - Sourced list, I was shocked to find she does not have her own thread.

But now she does.

• Like 4

Perhaps she is a good choice if the Committee wants to grow a centenarian again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Book said:

Perhaps she is a good choice if the Committee wants to grow a centenarian again.

Maybe but she has been in a care home for several years now so not sure healthwise she is set for 100.

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Maybe but she has been in a care home for several years now so not sure healthwise she is set for 100.

Include and find out ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Book said:

Beverly Cleary and Marsha hunt would've been my suggestion, they are already in their 100s...

• Like 1

I can’t really see any of the current centenarian batch to make the Deathlist it alive apart from Captain Tom Moore (who isn’t really Deathlisty imo) and Clarissa Eden. All of the rest of the centenarians still alive are far more niche names than actual A List/notable names. Besides, they generally don’t put a ton of brand new centenarians on the list anyhow...

11 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I can’t really see any of the current centenarian batch to make the Deathlist it alive apart from Captain Tom Moore (who isn’t really Deathlisty imo) and Clarissa Eden. All of the rest of the centenarians still alive are far more niche names than actual A List/notable names. Besides, they generally don’t put a ton of brand new centenarians on the list anyhow...

Lovelocks the other possible.

Although, a word in defence of Captain Tom: he is now very famous, very old and very frail. He might not have been the first of those 6 months ago, but then its an extreme case of the likes of Dick King-Smith making his breakthrough aged 60. Fame is fame and he's a household name zeitgeist now so if they pick him, it's still a good degree above the likes of fame of a Genesis Porridge or a Bill Gates's dad already getting on the list.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

David Rockefeller was put on in 2017 at the age of 101... Both my suggestions are arguably more famous than Gates Sr so I dont see why not...

Capt Tom Moore is a good idea.

54 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Beverly Cleary was a more succesful 20th Century author then Deathlist regular Herman Wouk.  She certainly would merit a spot on the list if alive Jan 1.,though I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

For someone who is 96, in a nursing home (The location of which seems to be uncertain)

I could have sworn she was at the Motion Picture & Television Country Home. She should probably be pretty well insulated from Covid,however at retirement home's all it takes is 1 mistake and suddenly a nursing home goes from safe place to hotbed for something like Covid or the flu to spread.  So a decent pick for 2021 imo if they go that route with Glynis

1 hour ago, msc said:

Lovelocks the other possible.

Although, a word in defence of Captain Tom: he is now very famous, very old and very frail. He might not have been the first of those 6 months ago, but then its an extreme case of the likes of Dick King-Smith making his breakthrough aged 60. Fame is fame and he's a household name zeitgeist now so if they pick him, it's still a good degree above the likes of fame of a Genesis Porridge or a Bill Gates's dad already getting on the list.

James Lovelock would be a very worthy choice 

7 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

James Lovelock would be a very worthy choice 

BBC interview with Lovelock at his home in Dorset put on their site 6 hours ago. Still got his marbles if nothing else. 101 and looking good.   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-53644147/james-lovelock-gaia-theory-creator-on-coronavirus-and-turning-101

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bentrovato said:

BBC interview with Lovelock at his home in Dorset put on their site 6 hours ago. Still got his marbles if nothing else. 101 and looking good.   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-53644147/james-lovelock-gaia-theory-creator-on-coronavirus-and-turning-101

For 101 he looks pretty darned good. However at that age he could go overnight but I am not going to hold my breath. On that evidence could make 105. He is on my list.

I've long been a drum-banger for Glynis around these parts and see absolutely no reason why she shouldn't be a DL callup: one of the last remaining leading ladies of 50s Hollywood, truly iconic role in a movie everyone has seen (Mary Poppins) and also one of the last remaining Batman 66 villains.

JrK7.gif

• Like 7

Thanks for creating her own thread.  For my taste she is famous enough and would definitely be a nice new entry for the list. On the other hand, there are many other (maybe better?) actress-alternatives like  Eva-Marie Saint (who won Academy Award) or Cicely Tyson, who was nominated for an Academy Award at least.
  • Like 4

I would be happy to see her on the list next year but I have to agree with @TomTomTelekom : there is some more famous and successful actresses who need to be on the list like Tippi Hedren, Eva Marie Saint, Gina Lollobrigida or Arlene Dahl (who is rarely mentioned here but quite prominent)

• Like 2

I personally don't feel any of those mentioned are "more famous".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

there is some more famous and successful actresses who need to be on the list like Tippi Hedren, Eva Marie Saint, Gina Lollobrigida or Arlene Dahl

One day I would love to see Oscar-winning actress Estelle Parsons on the DL.

93 this November but seems to be fit.

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

I personally don't feel any of those mentioned are "more famous".

Even Tippi Hedren ? I mean... come on « The Birds », « Marnie » : one of Hitchcock’s favorite actress, maybe the last one alive ! She player with Sean Connery in Marnie, has her own star on the hollywood hall Of fame etc... you can’t say she’s not famous enough 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Even Tippi Hedren ? I mean... come on « The Birds », « Marnie » : one of Hitchcock’s favorite actress, maybe the last one alive ! She player with Sean Connery in Marnie, has her own star on the hollywood hall Of fame etc... you can’t say she’s not famous enough 

I still don’t know her. And this is the thing, it’s all subjective. It’s not worth discussing whether anyone is famous enough to warrant being on the DL because everyone will have a different opinion all the time.

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I still don’t know her. And this is the thing, it’s all subjective. It’s not worth discussing whether anyone is famous enough to warrant being on the DL because everyone will have a different opinion all the time.

Stop making me feel old, you. :D

Tippi Hedren with The Birds, Eva Marie Saint with North by Northwest, Glynis Johns with Mary Poppins are all sort of on the same level, but obv Glynis has the edge with her role in a kids film presumably all of us have seen at some point. Fame wise, Saint also has On The Waterfront so edges ahead somewhat career wise but we're talking shades of difference between 3 worthy contenders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

That's not what I said.

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Vera Miles another Hitchcock blonde is still alive as is Kim Novak who unless I'm confusing her with someone else was also a Hitchcock blonde. 

• Like 2

On 04/08/2020 at 10:50, TomTomTelekom said:
Thanks for creating her own thread.  For my taste she is famous enough and would definitely be a nice new entry for the list. On the other hand, there are many other (maybe better?) actress-alternatives like  Eva-Marie Saint (who won Academy Award) or Cicely Tyson, who was nominated for an Academy Award at least.

Glynis was also nominated for an Academy Award - for her role in Fred Zinnemann's 1960 film "The Sundowners". In fact, she is now the oldest living actor or actress to be so nominated.

• Like 4

A rather good wartime Ealing film is “The Halfway House” (1944) - Glynis plays a spooky Welsh girl and her real life father Mervyn, who was in near enough every British film of the era, plays her father. I think Glynis is the earliest credited survivor in Ealing’s films - her and Leslie Philips are probably the only major actors from their 1940s films since the death of Sally Ann Howes (“Dead of Night”, 1945) - and that feels very striking. 

• Like 4