Spade_Cooley

Beirut Explosion

42 minutes ago, JQW said:

Approximately 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate were in storage, according to recent news reports. That's significantly more than the amount of ammonium nitrate involved in the Texas City explosion of 1947.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

That much AN if it all detonated would give a 1.15kt yeild. The question is what else was stored there, you can see the fireworks going off in the inital fire (and may well be how it all started), but if it was used to store confiscated explosive material there could be all sorts involved. 

The ss Richard Montgomery would cause a similar size blast if it all went off, so get ready for that whole debate to pick up again.

• Shocked 1

Seen a suggestion elsewhere that fireworks or similar was the initial explosion and they in turn set off the Ammonium Nitrate 

12 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

They are now saying that many thousands are dead or injured.This is without doubt the biggest catastrophe since 911.A world changing event.We should pray for    the many dead from todays catacysm.I admit I am deeply shocked by what has happened today. I never thought I would live to see this sort of thing.  https://news.sky.com/story/lebanon-large-explosion-heard-in-capital-beirut-12042456

Sorry, i dont follow. How is this a world changing event? The China explosion in 2015 was triple the magnitude and nothing came og that except cool videos. 

Indeed some cool videos, but not sure of any other significance? Industrial accidents are not that rare.

Pres Trump saying it was a bomb. The plot thickens! https://news.sky.com/story/beirut-donald-trump-suggests-bomb-of-some-kind-caused-huge-explosion-in-lebanese-city-12042670 Experts say the Lebanese govt are lying about it being ammonium nitrate because that would have produced a yellow cloud not a red one.They say this was clearly a military grade explosion.The Lebanese govt are trying to cover something up it seems! 

6 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Seen a suggestion elsewhere that fireworks or similar was the initial explosion and they in turn set off the Ammonium Nitrate 

Heard that also, it would fit the videos and it takes a good bit of heat to set off AN. 

This is all thats left of Beirut this morning.One of the major cities of the Middle East.  Tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of Hiroshima.Just a coincidence? :unsure:

skynews-beirut-explosion_5058423.jpg

skynews-lebanon-beirut-explosion-harbour_5058188.jpg

• Facepalm 2

Considering how far away the blast was felt, I really think that is must have been a bomb, or where many explosives were stored. Could be explosives that the government wanted to keep secret explaining thief deception in regards to the chemicals involved.

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

They are now saying that many thousands are dead or injured.This is without doubt the biggest catastrophe since 911.A world changing event.We should pray for    the many dead from todays catacysm.I admit I am deeply shocked by what has happened today. I never thought I would live to see this sort of thing.  https://news.sky.com/story/lebanon-large-explosion-heard-in-capital-beirut-12042456

Kid, stop being such a twat.  Wait for the confirmation of what happened and stop speculating the cause. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we'll ever find out what actually happened here. 

A hezbollah factory going up and then setting off the nitrate seems the most likely. 

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

This is all thats left of Beirut this morning.One of the major cities of the Middle East.  Tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of Hiroshima.Just a coincidence? :unsure:

Tbf, this is a perfect example of your brain.

It is also a complete fucking mess.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Pee is stored in the balls !

This explosion in Beirut has to be the only thing that has happened in the world in the last 4-5 months that has not  been blamed on Covid19. Why not? I think I will start a petition on the Downing Street website calling for scientists to start testing whether contact with coronavirus can make ammonium nitrate explode. The public need to know before fertilizer on farms up and down the country is infected and the entirety of the UK turns into a mushroom cloud. 

3 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Pee is stored in the balls !

My boi and his straight up facts

78 dead. Surely, it must be way higher. Saw a video of a dude livestreaming really close to the fires before the 1st explosion threw his phone across the sky until it cut. 

Possible a nomination for the dumbest death along with all the people who stood close to windows to film this, only to get eyes popped out, teared apart by glass and thrown across offices, room, balcons. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Genfærd said:

78 dead. Surely, it must be way higher. Saw a video of a dude livestreaming really close to the fires before the 1st explosion threw his phone across the sky until it cut. 

Possible a nomination for the dumbest death along with all the people who stood close to windows to film this, only to get eyes popped out, teared apart by glass and thrown across offices, room, balcons. 

Where are you still seeing 78? The latest reports say 100+.

I've decided to make this a new topic as it appears yesterday's incident was not terrorist related.

I could probably have merged the posts somewhere else, but quite enjoy the thought of the thread purists getting irate, so just went for it.   

I've actually been to Beirut.  Great place when not being rocked by explosions or civil war.

My last post is marooned in the Terrorist topic - must have posted while you were moving the others.

I said,

Far too early to know the death toll.  The number of known deaths is going to be changing all the time at this stage. 

5 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Well, if it's a tribute they're sicker than we'll ever be!:unsure:

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Maybe a fireworks factory was caught up in the blast but it's too powerful to have started there. Many people tlaking of it being like a nuclear blast.Could nuclear material have been stored there? Or could this even be the first ISIS dirty bomb?  https://news.sky.com/story/lebanon-explosion-building-torn-apart-after-massive-blast-in-port-area-of-beirut-12042488

Definitely not nuclear, but it did look similar to one. New bomb? Possible.

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

My last post is marooned in the Terrorist topic - must have posted while you were moving the others.

I said,

Far too early to know the death toll.  The number of known deaths is going to be changing all the time at this stage. 

Aye, and a lot of folk near the blast (like the poor firemen), well, wont have much evidence of their existence anymore.

The Halifax blast killed 2000 people, the Texas City one over 500 people (including every fireman, again). If this winds up lower than that its been a lucky escape indeed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Probably a coincidence. Possibly 100,000 dead, with such a high population in Beirut and the blast being felt in Cyprus.