Wickerman

The Big Book of DeathList's Great mistakes

How many more have the committee got wrong over the years? Your chance to remind the committee here.

The big question now is who on the 2020 list will survive, be dropped from 2021 and then die? Your thoughts and suggestions.

• Like 1

Just now, Wickerman said:

How many more have the committee got wrong over the years? Your chance to remind the committee here.

The big question now is who on the 2020 list will survive, be dropped from 2021 and then die? Your thoughts and suggestions.

I can probably see Betty White being dropped if I'm honest. She is going very strong so if the committee wanted to be bold then I'd imagine She'd be the biggest name they'd be willing to drop.

As for the lesser known, Gates Sr probably wont make it back on the list due to the controversy of whether he is deemed famous or not... Other names likely to be dropped would be Joanne Woodward, Peter Sutcliffe, David Crosby and probably Dick Cheney too - despite having 5 heart attacks he'll probably continue on soldiering for at least another few years. My Nan had cancer 3 times, 10 years after the last diagnosis she is in her 80s doing well. You'll be surprised how robust the human body is...

Nicholas fucking parsons. Still fuming about that one :evil:

• Like 5

And each December all of us with Dead pool and shadow list entries, musing who stays and who goes.

For several years I had John Hume in my list, dropped him from the squad for this year - and he pegs :facepalm:

Little Richard should’ve been kept on. Though knowing the committee they probably would’ve dropped someone like Jerry Stiller if he did get carried over tbh. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I can probably see Betty White being dropped if I'm honest. She is going very strong so if the committee wanted to be bold then I'd imagine She'd be the biggest name they'd be willing to drop.

Considering so many bedblockers have died this year I think this makes it extremely unlikely that they’ll drop Betty White. They need to find new bedblockers now, and she’s a perfect contender...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Considering so many bedblockers have died this year I think this makes it extremely unlikely that they’ll drop Betty White. They need to find new bedblockers now, and she’s a perfect contender...

Why?  Shouldn't they be looking for people who are likely to die within the next year?  Not linger on for years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

Why?  Shouldn't they be looking for people who are likely to die within the next year?  Not linger on for years.

Was more thinking in the mind of the committee rather than what should happen...

I like the lingerers tbh? It adds a sort of sense of history and occasion to it. imo.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, msc said:

I like the lingerers tbh? It adds a sort of sense of history and occasion to it. imo.

While we might, the professed aim of the DL is not to choose lingerers.

Quoting from the DL front page:

... a list of 50 celebrities which the DeathList committee has selected for their likelihood to pass away during 2020.

• Like 1

Hosni Mubarak is an example from last year to this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

While we might, the professed aim of the DL is not to choose lingerers.

Quoting from the DL front page:

My quote hasn't saved the stuff you quoted Toast but I'm with you. Strikes me this thread is discussing different ideas of what the DL committee should be doing whilst the committee themselves have always struck me as a bit like the BBC with a staid and dependable outlook that's willing to embrace outliers and nuances as required. If both sides - i.e. the low-hanger/spectacular death crowd and the "if The Times won't report them they're basically fluff" - are mildly miffed all the time (as with a local paper reporting on the local council) it might be that the subject of their miffedness isn't doing such a bad job. 

I mean, in the room this year I'd be tempted to punt Lord Lucan (assuming him  still alive and reckoning his pick would get DL noticed by the press), but in the great DL tradition that would never do.

• Like 1

With regards to Betty White I say keep her next year.She will be 99 next year and at that age the decline can be really swift .She is an A list name and the list has lost a fair few this year and it's only August.

Joanne Woodward would be a massive miss due to how poor her health has reported to be for many years.That and again an A list name.Would rather see Woodward and White on the list until they die rather than Bill Gates Sr.

• Like 3

The names the committee would be insane not to include next year:

Barbara Windsor

George Alagiah

Doddie Weir

Linda Nolan 

Anne Nolan

Shannen Doherty

Olivia Newton John

Stan Bowles 

Carlos Menem

Trevor Peacock

Barbara Walters 

Ted Turner

Billy Connolly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

The names the committee would be insane not to include next year:

Linda Nolan 

Anne Nolan

Based on their recent photo's they look like they are In The Mood for Dying in 2020

• Like 1

I'd take strong looks at Rush Limbaugh, James Caan, Sean Connery, and Julian Assange.

• Like 1

During my time here I think Nicholas Parsons was probably the silliest miss, considering his well publicised health decline late last year. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Here come all the fucking experts. 

It’s all just a bit of harmless fun. Isn’t it? :evil2:

46 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

I'd take strong looks at Rush Limbaugh

I’d take a strong club hammer to him myself.

• Like 1

Making his first appearance at number 8 in the 1989 DeathList was Wilfred (sic) Bramble (sic) - age 77 - Steptoe.

Wilfrid Brambell (correct names) who played Albert in the BBC sitcom Steptoe and Son in fact died on the 18th of January 1985 Aged 72. :facepalm:

DeathList mistakes don’t come much bigger than that. :o :D

Do they? :old:

Edited by Wickerman
Add question
  • Haha 1

Patrick Moore not making the list in his terminal year was a massive miss.

• Like 1

Harvey Weinstein, Leonard Fenton and Rolf Harris might also be worth considering for next years list. After a rotten few days with this virus I hope you will be all pleased to know I am starting to turn a positive corner. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wickerman said:

Making his first appearance at number 8 in the 1989 DeathList was Wilfred (sic) Bramble (sic) - age 77 - Steptoe.

Wilfrid Brambell (correct names) who played Albert in the BBC sitcom Steptoe and Son in fact died on the 18th of January 1985 Aged 72. :facepalm:

DeathList mistakes don’t come much bigger than that. :o :D

Bette Davis was another.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

Bette Davis was another.

Yes but who hasn't sung the rewritten lyrics to the Kim Carnes classic since?

• Haha 1