Wickerman

The Big Book of DeathList's Great mistakes

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

It's a shame he never did a guest appearance in Father Ted.

I wonder if the committee thought he had died already.Strikes me as the sort of pick they would go for.

Hah, might have been too scary for them. Ever heard of Pastor Jack Glass? Scottish Protestant minister who came to fame for picketing Billy Connolly shows for being blasphemous. Ian Paisley said he was a bit of an extremist.

I repeat. Ian Paisley thought that guy was a bit extreme....

Btw the Big Yin loved him. A Jack Glass appearance guaranteed a sell out crowd for him! :D

Dropping General Jaruzelski a few years ago was inexplicable - he went the following year. It was a miracle he'd made it that far, was perma hospitalised and had impending death written all over him.

• Like 2

No idea if comedian/actor Patrick Harrington was named yet, but the Committee should have been allowed to park in (mentally) handicapped parking spots in 2016 for leaving him off the list.  He lasted what — 8 days into January?  
Worst Miss by far since I joined in 2014.

SC

Edit - I see I misinterpreted the thread.  Scroll along.

On 06/08/2020 at 23:56, Joey Russ said:

No. Just no. 

But as a measure of the Committee, how interesting would a shadow list be of candidates who had previously been rejected from the main list.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

But as a measure of the Committee, how interesting would a shadow list be of candidates who had previously been rejected from the main list.

What a most wonderful idea :)

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

No idea if comedian/actor Patrick Harrington was named yet, but the Committee should have been allowed to park in (mentally) handicapped parking spots in 2016 for leaving him off the list.  He lasted what — 8 days into January?  
Worst Miss by far since I joined in 2014.

SC

Edit - I see I misinterpreted the thread.  Scroll along.

I for one had never heard of the bloke, and am none the wiser now.

As for misinterpreting the thread, I don't really know what it's supposed to be for.  Nothing new, that's for certain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I for one had never heard of the bloke, and am none the wiser now.

As for misinterpreting the thread, I don't really know what it's supposed to be for.  Nothing new, that's for certain.

Same.

I even thought maybe it's some American I should have heard of but haven't, so googled the name.

The only Patrick Harrington of any prominence at all is a QC from Wales who acted in some high profile murder cases and was recently involved in a car accident on the M4,

Unless he has a sideline in stand-up / comedy roles even wiki is unaware of it's not him, furthermore even if he does dabble at weekends or something it's been kept so quiet that by definition it can't be a big miss or even a miss at all really, never mind the worst.

12 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Same.

I even thought maybe it's some American I should have heard of but haven't, so googled the name.

The only Patrick Harrington of any prominence at all is a QC from Wales who acted in some high profile murder cases and was recently involved in a car accident on the M4,

Unless he has a sideline in stand-up / comedy roles even wiki is unaware of it's not him, furthermore even if he does dabble at weekends or something it's been kept so quiet that by definition it can't be a big miss or even a miss at all really, never mind the worst.

Sir Creep probably meant this chap who was fairly popular in the 2016 DDP. A glance at his Wiki shows he was quite notable in the States, but I suspect a bit like a version of a Peter Barkworth, who won several BAFTAs and was one of those TV faces for years but likely never made a dent in popular culture outside of the UK.

I was going to say Clive Swift but Keeping Up Appearances did sell to America and was quite popular, much to my surprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pat Harrington was in the original One Day at a Time, which I don't recall ever being broadcast on UK TV.

https://tvrdb.com/listings/ <---TVRDB seems to back me up, unless it was on BSkyB or something.

I think I said it at the time but Jim Bowen has always felt like an obvious miss. 

• Like 1

Mary Wilson  felt like a miss to me.Incredibly  obitable as a poet and widow of Prime Minister  Harold Wilson. Died aged 101.

I just hope they dont make the same mistake with Clarissa Eden if she is still alive at the end of the year. 

• Like 2

I regret taking Fred Kroesen off my list after 4 years, and then he goes and dies in April

• Facepalm 1

However I have to admit that the 1991 list was a brilliant and shining example of the committee’s genius :evil2:

On 06/08/2020 at 18:34, Paul Bearer said:

Here come all the fucking experts. 

I still think a shadow team composed of rejects from the main list which would be an interesting addition and reinforce the wisdom of the committee. We could have a subsidiary page what happened to the rejects the 25 plus. Some of them have died with no recognition.

On 08/08/2020 at 22:16, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Mary Wilson  felt like a miss to me.Incredibly  obitable as a poet and widow of Prime Minister  Harold Wilson. Died aged 101.

I just hope they dont make the same mistake with Clarissa Eden if she is still alive at the end of the year. 

Yeah, but it ain't like she does a lot, or has done a lot since becoming a widow. Unlike Dame Vera who was summat of a public figure until the last few years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, but it ain't like she does a lot, or has done a lot since becoming a widow. Unlike Dame Vera who was summat of a public figure until the last few years.

Well yes sort  of but historically  significant  like say Nancy  Reagan who didn't  really  do much in her latter years either but was deathlisty. 

On 10/08/2020 at 18:14, Wickerman said:

However I have to admit that the 1991 list was a brilliant and shining example of the committee’s genius :evil2:

To be fair  almost every single one of the 1991 list died, just not in 1991 that's all ! 

What I'm afraid of is that Pervez Musharraf or Abdelaziz Bouteflika will be dropped from the list in 2021 because they aren't in the news a lot nowadays. Especially Bouteflika won't probably last a long time because of his health problems even though I've already seen some Algerian instagram accounts make memes about him being immortal.

Eh, could care less about Musharraf. I believe the reason he even made the list this time was that he had a death sentence on him near the end of the year, only for those charges to be dropped around the new year.
For Bouteflika, I think it depends on the amount of survivors remaining at the end of the year. I don’t necessarily think he’s a bad pick. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Eh, could care less about Musharraf. I believe the reason he even made the list this time was that he had a death sentence on him near the end of the year, only for those charges to be dropped around the new year.

Do you mean you couldn't care less?  Because that makes more sense in the context.

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

Do you mean you couldn't care less?  Because that makes more sense in the context.

Cue that David Mitchell video clip...Oh nvm, here it is....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The spelling of Prince Philip's name?

(73 pages of posts on the thread before it was corrected).

• Like 2