Wickerman

The Big Book of DeathList's Great mistakes

Found some mistakes from earlier lists:

Listing someone who was never on the list in the obits section:

GrahamGreenGaffe.JPG.173b6cc5639a56e901f2cf17aeac83a1.JPG

Unless he was on the missing 1988 list, I have no idea why Graham Greene is mentioned.

Mobutu Sese Seko is the only post-1996 hit that didn't get an obit. 

MobutuMissingObit.JPG.d05fbb38bcc0807ee9360e6d092e9fe7.JPG

And just like Bette Davis and Wilfrid Brambell, Arthur Marshall was another posthumous name- he died in 1989 and made an appearance in 1992. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes but who hasn't sung the rewritten lyrics to the Kim Carnes classic since?

Beautiful just beautiful :clap::rolleyes:

Can’t believe people are forgetting about William Hartnell for the added posthumously names. Arguably the biggest of the four above too...

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Can’t believe people are forgetting about William Hartnell for the added posthumously names. Arguably the biggest of the four above too...

It just keeps getting better and better :D

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

As a Who fan I love the idea of Billy Hartnell being bigger than Bette Davis. :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Oh come on, cut us some slack - he'd only been dead a mere 14 years, and the list was compiled in a public house not a public library. The internet was barely a glint in Tim's eye in late 88.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

There's bit in the DDP archives where Big Iain apologizes for needing to add extra points to teams from the previous year. This is because everyone involved in the game missed the death of Hollywood actor Roy Rogers and found out sometime the next year. Young ones don't realise how revolutionary the Deaths in (insert current year here) Wikipedia page was for deadpoolers. :D

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, msc said:

There's bit in the DDP archives where Big Iain apologizes for needing to add extra points to teams from the previous year. This is because everyone involved in the game missed the death of Hollywood actor Roy Rogers and found out sometime the next year. Young ones don't realise how revolutionary the Deaths in (insert current year here) Wikipedia page was for deadpoolers. :D

I remember one of Roy Roger's obituaries was written by someone who  predeceased him. I know that isn't that unusual, but it was the first time I had seen that.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Harvey Weinstein, Leonard Fenton and Rolf Harris might also be worth considering for next years list. After a rotten few days with this virus I hope you will be all pleased to know I am starting to turn a positive corner. 

Interesting threesome there. Is there something about Mr Fenton we should know? 

• Haha 1

John Hume was a massive miss! Could have used the title ExHume  Body or something ! 

I  have a suggestion.Why not for once keep everyone still alive on the list for next year and just replace the dead ones! That is after all going to be a bigger number than usual ! I have noticed that a lot of people who are dropped tend to die compared to new ones just added. I think we wil get a bigger death toll than ever that way 
!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I  have a suggestion.Why not for once keep everyone still alive on the list for next year and just replace the dead ones! That is after all going to be a bigger number than usual ! I have noticed that a lot of people who are dropped tend to die compared to new ones just added. I think we wil get a bigger death toll than ever that way 
!

No. Just no. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wickerman said:

Making his first appearance at number 8 in the 1989 DeathList was Wilfred (sic) Bramble (sic) - age 77 - Steptoe.
Wilfrid Brambell (correct names) who played Albert in the BBC sitcom Steptoe and Son in fact died on the 18th of January 1985 Aged 72. :facepalm:

DeathList mistakes don’t come much bigger than that. :o :D

Do they? :old:

To be fair, it wasn't that easy to look things up and check stuff out in those pre-internet decades.

I can’t see Betty White being dropped due to her age. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

To be fair, it wasn't that easy to look things up and check stuff out in those pre-internet decades.

In the 90s I used to listen to the radio a lot and heard a number of death announcements that turned out to be wrong information, including Alec Guinness (he was ill, but lived until 2000), Verity Lambert (died in 2007) and of all things, Al Gore's death in 1998 in a helicopter crash. It turned out to be based on a misunderstanding of a phone call (Gore's flight delayed due to a crash became him in the crash iirc). None of this was trolling, just communication was a lot slower and easy to misconstrue in the days before widespread internet and mobile phones.

The flipside to this is that when they announced the death of the great Dermot Morgan, I assumed it was one of these errors at first.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Toast said:

Very true, however accurate research was still possible with many reference sources and other resources available. University and community libraries are wonderful things -_-

9 hours ago, Toast said:

Agree but to miss the death of such a star as Bette Davis ?

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

Mate, we gave about as much a shit back then as we do now. Clive Dunn was about 21 years old, but we still stuck the cunt on  every year for a laugh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Mate, we gave about as much a shit back then as we do now. Clive Dunn was about 21 years old, but we still stuck the cunt on  every year for a laugh.

Yeah I understand... just puzzled to see that about Bette :scratchhead:

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

If you were away from TV and newspapers for a few days, yes, it was quite possible to miss that sort of news.  Happened to me regularly as I was often out of the country.  Somebody might mention it (I remember the barman on the ferry telling me of Ayrton Senna's death, for instance) but if nobody was talking about it, it often went under my radar.

3 hours ago, Wickerman said:

Very true, however accurate research was still possible with many reference sources and other resources available. University and community libraries are wonderful things -_-

Yes, but libraries couldn''t keep up with current events to the minute.  Their resources were hard copies.  You could look up Bette Davis in an encyclopedia, Who's Who, film guides etc, but it would rarely be the latest edition.

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Yeah I understand... just puzzled to see that about Bette :scratchhead:

Her death, like just about everyone else's back then, was on the news that night, in the paper the next day, and that was it. Easy to overlook something five years later.

eta. Its still easy to overlook these things now, with wall to wall 24/7 coverage. Imagine my surprise when I found out that not only had Walter Swinburn died a couple of years ago, but I was the one who posted it in DL.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Toast said:

If you were away from TV and newspapers for a few days, yes, it was quite possible to miss that sort of news.  Happened to me regularly as I was often out of the country.  Somebody might mention it (I remember the barman on the ferry telling me of Ayrton Senna's death, for instance) but if nobody was talking about it, it often went under my radar.

Yes, but libraries couldn''t keep up with current events to the minute.  Their resources were hard copies.  You could look up Bette Davis in an encyclopedia, Who's Who, film guides etc, but it would rarely be the latest edition.

I had a great reference book, but it was printed in 1997 so that me that Alec Guinness, Yehudi Menuhin and Alf Ramsey were all still alive in 2000, and the latter of those I only knew for sure had died in 2002 when the BBC called him "the late, great..."

Even having home internet didn't help at the very beginning. Despite being a massive childhood Hitchhikers Guide fan, missing the papers and TV at the time meant I only learned of Douglas Adams stupidly young death two months later. Even as recently as 2006, I managed to miss the news on Linda Smith dying (and I liked her, she was funny) until it showed up as a memorial article in the Radio Times about 3-4 weeks later.

Although the DDP did once solve an age old mystery for me. I have vivid memories of the BBC News obit for this demagogue type yelling about God from a park bench, and I had no idea who it was, if I'd made it up even. Then one day flicking through the DDP archives and there's that old guy staring right back at me.

soper_1.jpg

Lord Soper, apparently: pacifist, teetotaler, shouty God man...

• Like 1

It is easy to miss things, I for one have only just realised that Peter Falk has died.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, msc said:

Although the DDP did once solve an age old mystery for me. I have vivid memories of the BBC News obit for this demagogue type yelling about God from a park bench, and I had no idea who it was, if I'd made it up even. Then one day flicking through the DDP archives and there's that old guy staring right back at me.

soper_1.jpg

Lord Soper, apparently: pacifist, teetotaler, shouty God man...

It's a shame he never did a guest appearance in Father Ted.

I wonder if the committee thought he had died already.Strikes me as the sort of pick they would go for.