Spade_Cooley

Simon Cowell

Come on, does anyone really expect him to make it to an advanced age? He seems to spend an inordinate amount of time in hospitals these days as well, whether he has underlying health issues or its just cover-ups for more plastic surgery is for you to decide. Anyway, he's now broken his back in a bicycling accident.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Come on, does anyone really expect him to make it to an advanced age? He seems to spend an inordinate amount of time in hospitals these days as well, whether he has underlying health issues or its just cover-ups for more plastic surgery is for you to decide. Anyway, he's now broken his back in a bicycling accident.

He's a fucking attention seeking twat. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

He's a fucking attention seeking twat. 

Agreed on general principle without seeing the news first. :D

• Like 1

I think I liked him more when he'd insult the contestants when they came on stage. Now hes more or less just a pawn in a massive cash cow TV show which is literally just the same shit over and over again. Hopefully he's hit his head in that fall so hopefully he'll start coming up with some new ideas...

I used to like the talent shows, but he ruined the old 'Pop Idol' format when he started that mentor business.  I preferred the judges to be straight-talking with no dog in the race.  Despite myself, I carried on watching X Factor for a few years because I fell into the trap of watching the audition shows for a laugh and then liking a particular competitor and wanting to follow their progress.

I stopped watching when Cowell blatantly cheated.  The phone votes didn't go the way he wanted, with viewers keeping the wrong one in, and he changed the format to get his own way, going against the precedent of earlier series.   Disgraceful.  I never watched another series after that. 

Details from Wikipedia (spoilered for space)

Spoiler

There were accusations from viewers of fixing during the semi-final when O'Leary announced that only the public's votes would decide which contestants would move on to the final, but the next day this was changed and there was a final showdown. The show's official website also stated that the result would be decided by the public vote, and Walsh confirmed that on a radio show earlier in the week.  It was the first time in the show's history that the judges were given a vote in a semi-final.  Cowell (incorrectly) stated that "There has always been a sing-off when there are five people left in the competition. This is a lot of nonsense about nothing."  However, semi-finalist, Mary Byrne said she believed the result would be solely down to the public until the day of the semi-final performances in which she ended up in the final showdown with Cher Lloyd. She claimed that Cowell wanted Lloyd in the final instead of Byrne because of Cowell constantly praising Lloyd's performances and Lloyd having a high likability from Cowell throughout the live shows.  Public supporters of Byrne also felt that their votes to get Byrne into the final were wasted and demanded refunds for their votes as they along with the viewers were not notified of the final showdown until the conclusion of the semi-final result show and due to the result not being decided by the public vote as Byrne was voted out by the judges. Byrne, viewers and Byrne supporters believed that the final showdown was put in place by producers who scrambled at the last minute, (just before the result announcement, more specifically, right after the semi-final public voting period closed and when the votes were being counted), only to prevent Byrne from having a place in the final and guarantee Lloyd's place if Byrne finished fourth in the public vote and if Lloyd finished last in the public vote. Following Byrne's comments and the accusations by viewers and public supporters of Byrne, Cowell wrote an open letter to the viewers in the Daily Mirror to address the controversy and accusations, saying:

"It's always our sole intention to try and make the show as entertaining and hopefully exciting every week. Our main focus is to ensure that the contestants are given every opportunity to benefit from being on the show and show their talent. Throughout the series I have met with fans of the show on a regular basis and have listened and acted on their feedback. I believe they have enjoyed the changes in the show this year and I feel it's been a better series as it hasn't followed the same pattern as before. This year we decided to give four contestants a second chance and introduce them as wild card entrants on the first live show. And having 16 finalists rather than just 12 meant that we introduced both single and double eliminations. We decided for the first time some weeks ago to put four people into the final and this meant having five semi-finalists. We also felt it would be fairer that there would be a sing-off rather than automatic elimination as there were more contestants. I understand new decisions are seen as controversial by our viewers but it stops the show becoming boring. As the excitement heats up, debates begin but I do want to assure people that the show is definitely not fixed. The sing-off on Sunday was something that was always going to happen regardless of who was in the bottom two. The contestants all prepared their save-me songs on Monday last week. It was always going to be sad for whoever left. [...] I have always listened to and respected our viewers and have always believed viewers ultimately make the right decision. I hope the viewers trust the show that this is a fair competition."

Voting statistics revealed that if there was not a final showdown or if Minogue or Cowell voted to send Byrne through to the final or if the result went to deadlock, Byrne would’ve advanced to the final and Lloyd would’ve been eliminated.

Wait. Is Cowell still relevant in 2020? My god, i haven't looked up anything he has done in years.

29 minutes ago, Toast said:

Mary Byrne said she believed the result would be solely down to the public until the day of the semi-final performances in which she ended up in the final showdown with Cher Lloyd. She claimed that Cowell wanted Lloyd in the final instead of Byrne because of Cowell constantly praising Lloyd's performances and Lloyd having a high likability from Cowell throughout the live shows.

And what did Syco do with that "likability", you ask? Released this crime against humanity and pushed it to #1...

• Facepalm 1

I don't (and haven't for years) watch anything like X Factor BGT, because of the ridicule of less-talented entrants and the blatant manipulation (of emotions) that goes on. Cowell, can fester in hospital til hell freezes over as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I used to like the talent shows, but he ruined the old 'Pop Idol' format when he started that mentor business.  I preferred the judges to be straight-talking with no dog in the race.  Despite myself, I carried on watching X Factor for a few years because I fell into the trap of watching the audition shows for a laugh and then liking a particular competitor and wanting to follow their progress.

I stopped watching when Cowell blatantly cheated.  The phone votes didn't go the way he wanted, with viewers keeping the wrong one in, and he changed the format to get his own way, going against the precedent of earlier series.   Disgraceful.  I never watched another series after that. 

Details from Wikipedia (spoilered for space)

Reveal hidden contents

There were accusations from viewers of fixing during the semi-final when O'Leary announced that only the public's votes would decide which contestants would move on to the final, but the next day this was changed and there was a final showdown. The show's official website also stated that the result would be decided by the public vote, and Walsh confirmed that on a radio show earlier in the week.  It was the first time in the show's history that the judges were given a vote in a semi-final.  Cowell (incorrectly) stated that "There has always been a sing-off when there are five people left in the competition. This is a lot of nonsense about nothing."  However, semi-finalist, Mary Byrne said she believed the result would be solely down to the public until the day of the semi-final performances in which she ended up in the final showdown with Cher Lloyd. She claimed that Cowell wanted Lloyd in the final instead of Byrne because of Cowell constantly praising Lloyd's performances and Lloyd having a high likability from Cowell throughout the live shows.  Public supporters of Byrne also felt that their votes to get Byrne into the final were wasted and demanded refunds for their votes as they along with the viewers were not notified of the final showdown until the conclusion of the semi-final result show and due to the result not being decided by the public vote as Byrne was voted out by the judges. Byrne, viewers and Byrne supporters believed that the final showdown was put in place by producers who scrambled at the last minute, (just before the result announcement, more specifically, right after the semi-final public voting period closed and when the votes were being counted), only to prevent Byrne from having a place in the final and guarantee Lloyd's place if Byrne finished fourth in the public vote and if Lloyd finished last in the public vote. Following Byrne's comments and the accusations by viewers and public supporters of Byrne, Cowell wrote an open letter to the viewers in the Daily Mirror to address the controversy and accusations, saying:

"It's always our sole intention to try and make the show as entertaining and hopefully exciting every week. Our main focus is to ensure that the contestants are given every opportunity to benefit from being on the show and show their talent. Throughout the series I have met with fans of the show on a regular basis and have listened and acted on their feedback. I believe they have enjoyed the changes in the show this year and I feel it's been a better series as it hasn't followed the same pattern as before. This year we decided to give four contestants a second chance and introduce them as wild card entrants on the first live show. And having 16 finalists rather than just 12 meant that we introduced both single and double eliminations. We decided for the first time some weeks ago to put four people into the final and this meant having five semi-finalists. We also felt it would be fairer that there would be a sing-off rather than automatic elimination as there were more contestants. I understand new decisions are seen as controversial by our viewers but it stops the show becoming boring. As the excitement heats up, debates begin but I do want to assure people that the show is definitely not fixed. The sing-off on Sunday was something that was always going to happen regardless of who was in the bottom two. The contestants all prepared their save-me songs on Monday last week. It was always going to be sad for whoever left. [...] I have always listened to and respected our viewers and have always believed viewers ultimately make the right decision. I hope the viewers trust the show that this is a fair competition."

Voting statistics revealed that if there was not a final showdown or if Minogue or Cowell voted to send Byrne through to the final or if the result went to deadlock, Byrne would’ve advanced to the final and Lloyd would’ve been eliminated.

Similar thing for me. I was never really into any of those shows (bar being blown away by Leona Lewis when she won) but my ex girlfriend used to watch it - I was done the year he absolutely pilloried Jedward week after week and then, when they were in the bottom two, he sent home a young jazz singer called Lucie Jones because he thought she was a bit boring. Clear then that any pretence at a singing competition was done, it was all about headlines and ratings and over a decade later, he's still trying to flog the same dead horse and ITV keep letting him do it.

This though.    This caused tears to stream down my face and legs, it was so funny.  :lol:

When they burst through the screen at the start and one of them nearly falls over,  they had me ....

Braindead TV for braindead people.

35 minutes ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

Braindead TV for braindead people.

Harsh.  There have been some really charismatic performers on TV talent shows. 

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Harsh.  There have been some really charismatic performers on TV talent shows. 

They aren't the issue per se - Cowell's stuff isn't about talent anymore, it's about making Simon Cowell richer.

Talent be damned.

Little Mix left his record label because they were not being allowed to tour in America, choose their own songs and other things. Now they are with Columbia they are getting more space to do their own things. More to it than that but they've left Syco and they are better for it.

I'm now waiting to see what Louis Tomlinson does because he left Syco this year too.

4 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Without question, the most evil human that ever walked the earth.

Hitler might have a couple things to say about that. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

Hitler might have a couple things to say about that. 

Hitler = Final Solution

Cowell = One Direction

Oh, and Jedward, Michelle McManus, Joe McElderberry, Jai McDowall, that fucking dog (and Pudsey), etc etc.

It's no contest.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Hitler = Final Solution

Cowell = One Direction

Oh, and Jedward, Michelle McManus, Joe McElderberry, Jai McDowall, that fucking dog (and Pudsey), etc etc.

It's no contest.

Good point. You won the argument!

I went through a long list on Discogs of every record label Cowell has run (Fanfare, IQ, S Records, Syco) to try and see if there was a defence for the man's output. And there really, really isn't. Even the people he had under his purview who had sporadic bursts of half-decent songs did so after leaving Cowell-owned labels (Will Young and Kelly Clarkson spring to mind). He also helped put out a hip-house track by Nigel Benn. It's not very good:

He also produced the WrestleMania album and I'm not really helping here...

He is a very clever man.

All the utter shite he puts out has made him a multi millionaire, that is the reality.

Simon Cowell never really loses, he makes the shows that finds the next 5 minute wonder, he wrings the utter fuck out of it for as long as he can then he moves on to the next search.

His strategy seems clear enough, he has made more than Clarkson, Young, Lewis and Little Mix than, probably, all of their money put together.

He is never into any act for the long haul, get in and get the fuck out ASAP.

It works for him, why should he change?

54 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He is a very clever man.

All the utter shite he puts out has made him a multi millionaire, that is the reality.

Simon Cowell never really loses, he makes the shows that finds the next 5 minute wonder, he wrings the utter fuck out of it for as long as he can then he moves on to the next search.

His strategy seems clear enough, he has made more than Clarkson, Young, Lewis and Little Mix than, probably, all of their money put together.

He is never into any act for the long haul, get in and get the fuck out ASAP.

It works for him, why should he change?

Sadly true.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

get in and get the fuck out ASAP.

Was that his relationship with Sinitta?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Without question, the most evil human that ever walked the earth.

Hmmm

Cowell is yet to send losing contestants to starve and freeze in gulags