Spade_Cooley

Shinzo Abe

Longest-serving Japanese PM in history, already stepped down from the role once in 2007 due to chronic ulcerative colitis, has recently visited hospital twice in the space of a few days - sparking concern about his health across Glorious Nippon. He's refused to reveal what the purpose of the visits was, and chronic ulcerative colitis is a risk factor for colon cancer.

• Like 3

Also his polling figures have dropped a lot recently which usually means Curtains in Japan - but then he really is Teflon in a country where leaders tend to have relatively short spans in office despite the same party winning almost every election. 

It's official he's resigned 

Geez what a year. Fortunately Japan hasn’t had that many covid cases compared to the rest of the world. I can’t imagine what would happen if a long time political leader resigned in a country hit hard by covid.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

It's official he's resigned 

It's not official yet, he should be standing down officially in about 55 minutes. But yeah, he's outta here and we now have to decide do we believe it's just colitis or has he got something much more serious going on. Odds on him revealing more in his resignation speech are slim to none imho.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It's not official yet, he should be standing down officially in about 55 minutes. But yeah, he's outta here and we now have to decide do we believe it's just colitis or has he got something much more serious going on. Odds on him revealing more in his resignation speech are slim to none imho.

With his will to cling onto power over the years, I'd be a bit surprised if a manageable pain condition made him resign after all this. But that's just suspicious old me...

9 hours ago, msc said:

With his will to cling onto power over the years, I'd be a bit surprised if a manageable pain condition made him resign after all this. But that's just suspicious old me...

Most likely would’ve stood down at the next election scheduled for the back end of 2021 but going before the Tokyo Olympics are (planned to be) held in under a year? I think your suspicions will be proved right. 

• Like 1

A lot of information flying on Twitter. 

Seeing it reported in multiple places that he has no vital signs (dead). Some are also reporting he was shot in the chest from behind by a shotgun.

We will likely have a death confirmation soon....RIP

Twitter speculation is saying some sources have him dead. Reliability of them questionable atm though…

• Like 1

BBC World Service has been saying there are reports that Abe has cardio-something-doodah* issues, ie - possibly dead. 

*medical term (look, I've got Covid and been up all night)

A lot of sources saying that he is showing no vital signs 

• Like 1

Seems like they are delaying the announcement. Probably want all their ducks in a row first

• Like 1

If it’s two shot guns shots to the back from a sawed off shotgun like they are saying he is unfortunately gone. 

1 hour ago, arghton said:

NHK article

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220708/k10013707601000.html

Shot at twice, according to witnesses with a shotgun, possibly in cardiopulmonary arrest. Another witness says it was "something bigger than a pistol". Unconscious according to a government official.

This has now been added to that page:

The situation at the time of transportation (as of 1:30 pm)
According to the information sent to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications at 1:30 pm, former Prime Minister Abe seems to have cardiopulmonary arrest, with a gunshot wound and bleeding in the right cervical region, and subcutaneous bleeding in the left chest

"Grave condition"

Literally, probably.

Other than that, seemingly no change on cardiopulmonary arrest which you can only be in for so long...

• Like 1

No way he survives this.

They are just delaying a death announcement.

• Like 3

Currently receiving blood transfusion amid attempts to still save his life.

Screenshot_20220708-082151_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Very sad. Wish and hope he recovers. :(