Spade_Cooley

Shinzo Abe

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Ex-pm in country with low gun ownership shot dead.

Hmmm...

That quite frankly may have played a role in this happening

I've seen the video - the first shot missed him and, while his bodyguards reacted fast, they were nowhere near fast enough for people meant to be guarding a major politician - got in position to protect him about a second after the second shot hit him. You'd imagine that if this was a country with more gun deaths (Japan has about 10-20 gun deaths a year - one year with about 40 was considered to be an abnormal high), the guards would be better trained to react between shots 1 and 2. 

That and, in terms of gun ownership, you really can't do much if the person is nuts enough to make their own tbh. It was a full on homemade shotgun, with rumors floating that the ammo was homemade as well. Ammo was def black powder based on the sound of the shots, and at that point, no amount of legislation banning gun ownership will help.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Sean said:

Seems likely.

We could easily see Johnson May and Cameron all going out of respect.

Yeah I would so may will definitely definitely 

18 hours ago, CastAway said:

I've seen the video - the first shot missed him and, while his bodyguards reacted fast, they were nowhere near fast enough for people meant to be guarding a major politician - got in position to protect him about a second after the second shot hit him. You'd imagine that if this was a country with more gun deaths (Japan has about 10-20 gun deaths a year - one year with about 40 was considered to be an abnormal high), the guards would be better trained to react between shots 1 and 2. 

That and, in terms of gun ownership, you really can't do much if the person is nuts enough to make their own tbh. It was a full on homemade shotgun, with rumors floating that the ammo was homemade as well. Ammo was def black powder based on the sound of the shots, and at that point, no amount of legislation banning gun ownership will help.

A true "no shit, Sherlock!" moment as Japanese police consider security on the day may have been "flawed"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62106442

• Like 1

Oh aye, and...

Ahead of that funeral - if any of our posters have an insight into sales in Japanese hardware stores of - say - metal tubes and strong black tape, tip us that insight, eh? There's always some short term pool going on somewhere^_^

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, CastAway said:

There was no ammo as such, it was a muzzle loader with electronic ignition and the propellent was black powder at best, from the smoke it looked more like firework flash powder. As you said no amount of gun control would stop anyone from knocking up something like that if they wanted, they could even use match heads in what was basically a metal tubed Roman candle.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2022 at 21:22, Philip said:

Possibility of Donald Trump making his first overseas trip post presidency to attend the funeral. The two were known to be close.

As Trump really not left the USA for year and half? Not even for private visits rather than anything public?

50 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

As Trump really not left the USA for year and half? Not even for private visits rather than anything public?

Nope he only leaves Florida every couple of weeks for a rally.

Finally got a hit for my assassinated prime minister slot.

I so hope more of this happens and becomes a snow ball affect 

• Confused 1

I hear they are going to rename the street where the assassination took place Abe Road.

(Not really...but what if they did?)

On 08/07/2022 at 03:56, gcreptile said:

Also notable in the economic world for trying to create some inflation in Japan after decades of stagnation. His "Abenomics" had an effect for 2-3 years before things went back to zero. Even now, Japan's inflation is fairly neglectable in comparison with outher countries.

I wonder though what the motivation was to kill him.

The motivation was that he was deeply connected to the Moonie cult.

• Like 2

On 08/07/2022 at 07:07, CastAway said:

From what I can figure from reports + social media, it was a right-wing ex-military guy who was upset Abe's policies when he was in charge weren't right wing enough

Funny how this wasn't true at all.

• Like 1