Sign in to follow this  
Joey Russ

Chadwick Boseman

6 hours ago, DeathClock said:

I wonder if they finished Black Panther 2

No, they didn't even start. It was set for 2021.

28 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

Good god. 2020 has been cruel, hasn't it? He was only 42 and had a long acting career ahead of him. R.I.P. to a legend.

43, actually. He even outlived Kobe Bryant, 41 in a helicopter crash in late January this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, unfortunately he just died: 

I’m really stunned about this one 

Another " Never heard of him" actor croaks.  Ah fuck it, I'm definitely getting old. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Another " Never heard of him" actor croaks.  Ah fuck it, I'm definitely getting old. 

You may be old to 30 year olds, but young to 90 year olds!

Starting this thread is like

Closing-Barn-Door.jpg.b6fee4ad02ac7ae79a8afef3fb430904.jpg

Didn't watch many superhero films so the name was only vaguely familiar to me, but undoubtedly very admirable to keep the many who were fans happy while going through so much pain. RIP.

5 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Whilst I am very sorry for the millions of people who were fans of this chap and even more sorry for the man himself and his family, I, for one, have never heard of him, simply because I've never seen any of his films. I even saw his name come up on Wiki Recent Deaths, shrugged and then came here. It's only whilst here that I realise a bit more who he was and what he achieved. Seems like a real talent cut down in his prime. 

Yeah, I hadn't seen any of his films either, but I do know several wise folk on film matters who had mentioned him as someone to look out for, so he presumably was a star in the making. And while I'm not really a fan of the Marvel films I know kids bloody love them.

2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

I imagine there was going to be a bit of a generational divide, but Boseman was absolutely massive on Twitter. I think he was getting close to the same amount of tweets, possibly even more, as John Lewis did when he died. 
I imagine most of the older folk aren’t super hero fans, so here’s another film with Boseman portraying James Brown to show how talented he was and why he had a bright future ahead of them had the cancer not killed him: 

6 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Almost, he was actually 43.

Deleted

Never heard of him.

4 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

Good god. 2020 has been cruel, hasn't it? He was only 42 and had a long acting career ahead of him. R.I.P. to a legend.

A 'legend' was he?

Why exactly was he a 'legend' then?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A 'legend' was he?

Speaking as aforementioned "not fan of these types of films", he was the star of a film which just made 1.4 billion dollars at the box office, and a part of a franchise that made nearly 10 billion (!) in the last 3 years. James Dean and John Belushi are legends on less bar time.

Just because folk are old they dont have to act old.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A 'legend' was he?

He was beloved from folk of my generation, with many of them being utterly heartbroken by his death. If you remember Stefan Karl Stefansson’s death, he was also beloved by younger folk who was really sad when he died. Take the response of Stefansson and multiply it by 10, and that’s an indicator of how much more well known Boseman was. 
I suppose this comment on forum perfectly sums up why some people are more upset for certain deaths than others. 

On 14/01/2016 at 15:44, Tempus Fugit said:

When I told to my father that Alan Rickman had died, his reply was, Who?

His knowledge of pop culture ceased around 1966.

When I mentioned David Bowie had died his reply was "His name sounds vaguely familiar, was he an author?"

Just goes to show that what is a significant death for some is utterly irrelevant to others

• Like 4

^thanks for reminding me to finally put a Sporcle Quiz together: English village or NFL player. Back in a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Never watched Black Panther as the critics said it was shit, but I did see 42 and he was good in it. RIP.

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

^thanks for reminding me to finally put a Sporcle Quiz together: English village or NFL player. Back in a bit.

I live near one of those villages :lol:

5 hours ago, msc said:

Speaking as aforementioned "not fan of these types of films", he was the star of a film which just made 1.4 billion dollars at the box office, and a part of a franchise that made nearly 10 billion (!) in the last 3 years. James Dean and John Belushi are legends on less bar time.

Just because folk are old they dont have to act old.

Sorry, I can't agree that someone qualifies as a "legend" based on the type and popularity of a film they were in.

The term is sadly becoming debased.  It's like referring to reality show nobodies as "stars". 

When we really need to reach for a superlative, what will we have left?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Sorry, I can't agree that someone qualifies as a "legend" based on the type and popularity of a film they were in.

The term is becoming sadly debased.  It's like referring to reality show nobodies as "stars". 

When we really need to reach for a superlative, what will we have left?

Well, just for context I don't think the two men I mentioned were "legends" either. Although as James Deans potential was likely mythical he's a good candidate. Ahem.

Although you've now seen me down the rabbit hole of discovering America has a library of living legends, many of whom are actually dead now. Which made me laugh. "The Living Legend, dead for the past 20 years..."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A 'legend' was he?

He was the title star of "Black Panther" (2016) and brought the beloved character from the comics over to the MCU. He wasn't a legend compared to others but to people from Gen X to Gen Z know who he is and he played a beloved character to many.

2 hours ago, msc said:

Well, just for context I don't think the two men I mentioned were "legends" either. Although as James Deans potential was likely mythical he's a good candidate. Ahem.

Although you've now seen me down the rabbit hole of discovering America has a library of living legends, many of whom are actually dead now. Which made me laugh. "The Living Legend, dead for the past 20 years..."

I just looked through it. Pretty weird collection of people to be considered legends. I do like Big Birds inclusion though :)

2 hours ago, msc said:

Anyone feel a theme team coming on?  ;)

• Haha 1