arghton

Military commanders

On 18/02/2022 at 11:31, Ulitzer95 said:

Obituary as confirmation.

From the U.S. Army/Navy/Air Force/Coast Guard etc., there seems to be just three "high ranking" officials left who were born in the 1910s:

Harry E. Goldsworthy (wiki, b. 1914), Ronald R. Van Stockum (wiki, b. 1916), William A. Jenkins (wiki, b. 1917).

Goldsworthy 108 in April and still pretty active. I reckon he'll outlive Roberta McCain and become a bit of a DL legend within time.

Ehm, no. Harry Goldsworthy had been dead for two days when this was posted.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, drol said:

You DARE put Reality above the Deathlist Forum?

1 hour ago, drol said:

Crazy considering how lucid he was 10 months ago in the clip below, though I suppose he was 2 months shy of 108 so I can't say it's a surprise. Anyone can simply pass away in their sleep at that age.

If any users have names they want me to predict very long lives for (i.e. you want me to jinx it so they drop dead immediately), speak up now.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Crazy considering how lucid he was 10 months ago in the clip below, though I suppose he was 2 months shy of 108 so I can't say it's a surprise. Anyone can simply pass away in their sleep at that age.

If any users have names they want me to predict very long lives for (i.e. you want me to jinx it so they drop dead immediately), speak up now.

Christina Crawford, Loretta Lynn,Vera Miles,  Susan Harris and Pope Benedict please!

Fond of  them all bar the last name but they are clogging up my long and short lists!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

If you could predict Henry Kissinger that would be hugely appreciated. Thanks. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 20/10/2021 at 13:38, arghton said:

Remaining Chiefs of Defence who served in WWII/born before 1930:

Stamatis Vellidis (1928-) Hellenic National Defence General Staff (Greece) 1989-1990

https://armyvoice.gr/2021/11/pethane-o-epitimos-archigos-geetha-stratigos-vellidis/

https://www.ieidiseis.gr/politiki/117177/stratigos-stamatis-vellidis-1928-2021-o-eksolothreftis-ton-stagonidion-tis-xoyntas

Went through the names on that list. 

According to multiple sources Stamatis Vellidis died at the start of November 2021. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

"Boris" Johnson and the entire Tory front bench.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

"Boris" Johnson and the entire Tory front bench.

Ok, here goes: Boris Johnson and the entire Tory front bench will not live to grand old ages.

EDIT: Whoops. Got it the wrong way round. Guess you're stuck with them now! ;):P

• Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ok, here goes: Boris Johnson and the entire Tory front bench will not live to grand old ages.

EDIT: Whoops. Got it the wrong way round. Guess you're stuck with them now! ;):P

You are clearly a Tory fan.:)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You are clearly a Tory fan.:)

Well you know, they can be right sods at times, but you grow fond of them running about begging for treats and thinking they own the place.

No, sorry, not tories, that's terriers...

:D

• Haha 1

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/gen-sf-rodrigues-retd-passes-away-375050

General Sunith Francis Rodrigues, Chief of the Army Staff of the Indian Army 1990-1993, Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee 1991-1993 and Governor of Punjab 2004-2010 dead at 88.

I was going to add him to the "old Indian politicos" suggestions list I posted under two weeks ago but googled him and he looked a bit too healthy. And wasn't really a political figure.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.com/persian/afghanistan-60646758

Shahnawaz Tanai, Afghanistani Lieutenant-General, Chief of General Staff and Minister of Defence 1988-1990 dead at 72.

General_Shahnavaz_Tanai_in_1980s.jpg.b3de2ca544a7e77f480b36d3bd522830.jpg

A pretty big name in 1980s/1990s Afghanistan, major commander during the Soviet-Afghan war, fiercely pro-Soviet and attempted a coup against President Najibullah in 1990 with Mohammad Hasan Sharq and Gulbuddin Hekmatyar. Thought I'd have mentioned him here atleast once, but apparently I hadn't. 

Retired Adm. Thomas B. Hayward, a former chief of operations who is credited with restoring Navy pride in a post-Vietnam era that saw the transition to a volunteer force and the re-emergence of the Soviet naval threat, has died. He was 97.

Hayward died Thursday, but the Navy’s announcement of his death did not say where he had been living. The Navy also did not provide a cause of death for Hayward, nor did it announce any funeral services for him. 

Hayward served for 39 years, enlisting in the Navy’s V-5 aviation program in 1943 and retiring in 1982 after four years as chief of naval operations. He was the 21st person to occupy that role.

SC

• Like 1

On 27/12/2020 at 14:43, drol said:

Li Guang, one of the last founding Major Generals of PLA, dead at 106. Don't know how many are left, way less than ten (so not as Tuskegee airmen) with the eldest being 107. Three of them died in recent months.

Zou Yan, one of the remaining founding Major Generals of PLA, prematurely dead at 106. Five of them left, ages between 99 and 109.

• Like 2

Roberto Bendini, Chief of the General Staff of the Argentine Army 2003-2008 dead at 76 from pancreatic cancer:

https://www.infobae.com/politica/2022/04/14/murio-roberto-bendini-el-ex-jefe-del-ejercito-que-bajo-los-cuadros-de-videla-y-bignone/

Most known for removing the pictures of former Argentine dictators Jorge Videla (1925-2013) and Reynaldo Bignone (1928-2018) from a wall as a symbolic event when the President (Nestor Kirchner) urged the armed forces to never use state terrorism and weapons against the Argentine people again.

On 18/02/2022 at 10:31, Ulitzer95 said:

Obituary as confirmation.

From the U.S. Army/Navy/Air Force/Coast Guard etc., there seems to be just three "high ranking" officials left who were born in the 1910s:

Harry E. Goldsworthy (wiki, b. 1914), Ronald R. Van Stockum (wiki, b. 1916), William A. Jenkins (wiki, b. 1917).

Goldsworthy 108 in April and still pretty active. I reckon he'll outlive Roberta McCain and become a bit of a DL legend within time.

Ronald van Stockum died last night, aged 105, per tweet.

• Like 3

Just now, time said:

Ronald van Stockum died last night, aged 105, per tweet.

You literally just ninja'd me by about a minute!

There's an obituary here as confirmation. Also picked in the Centenarian Deadpool I think?

This means that William A. Jenkins (wiki, b. 1917) is the last high ranking U.S. military official born in the 1910s.

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You literally just ninja'd me by about a minute!

There's an obituary here as confirmation. Also picked in the Centenarian Deadpool I think?

Not sure. I mentioned him there, but didn't pick him as he felt too healthy. 

Meanwhile the military centenarians I picked, Haifeng and Musuguri, are still somehow alive even though it seems like both of them have been dying for atleast two years now.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 12:58, drol said:

Zou Yan, one of the remaining founding Major Generals of PLA, prematurely dead at 106. Five of them left, ages between 99 and 109.

Here's an article on them 

https://www.toutiao.com/article/7091976837533925922/

Translated some of it. Picture under text:

1. Zhang Lixiong or Zhang Xiong (1913-2024) participated in peasant riots in the early 1930s. "Was in the group that started the long march", miraculously survived. He apparently often donates money to areas and people that have been struck by disaster, had a long political career and wasn't afraid to stand against conservative politicians.

lixiong.thumb.jpg.d8cacd8f2d3691bfb3dede1a2bec13a8.jpg

He was apparently hospitalised for a whole year 2020-2021, in very bad condition and "deteriorated multiple times", wore an NG tube in some of the pictures. However seems like he was discharged later, tough guy.

2. Tu Tongjin (1914-2023) Joined the red army in 1929 according to that article. Regiment doctor during the Long March, later became a neurosurgeon. Article doesn't seem to have a recent picture of him so I assume he isn't in good health. 

Here's a picture I found from the internet, but it's over 2 years old:

gentongjin.jpg.0584d78651ab9de5a32cb6c841023635.jpg

3. Wang Fuzhi (1923-) Youngest out of them, lied about his age to join the army. Surveyor during the long march. Seems to be doing great.

fuzhi.jpg.d4bc28692a20e3483eeb2026d75cf80a.jpg

4. Yang Yongsong (1917/1919-2022) Another who miraculously survived the long march despite how he "had enormously bloated legs" and other medical issues when it ended.

yongsong.thumb.jpg.ae2b1a85905bb6d85dab2f2da713a159.jpg

Died on the 1st of September 2022.

5. Wen Jian or Liu Shatong (1918-2023) As far as I know the only one who didn't participate in the Long March.

jian.thumb.jpg.afe10dffb2e0221026da845bdf269d7c.jpg

Reading on the topic there were 10 founding marshals, 10 full generals, 57 generals, 177 Lt. Gens and 1360 Maj. Gens. 

Last marshal died in 1992, last general in 2009, last Lt. Gen in 2015. According to INF NEWS, all five living Maj. Gens are still in good health but I really doubt that.

On 20/10/2021 at 13:38, arghton said:

Remaining Chiefs of Defence who served in WWII/born before 1930:

Tahar Zbiri (1929-) Algeria's first Chief of Staff of the People's National Army, 1964-1967. Frail and was hospitalised with covid a year ago.

Tahar Zbiri was visited by Algeria's Mujahideen minister earlier this month, apparently now completely bedbound:

zbiri.png.9e4af7d4509d1823769450002e1cae87.png

On 11/09/2020 at 15:34, arghton said:

200693984-800x_.jpg.288979a3039469f3886a3c840a0a526e.jpg

Gustav Hägglund (born 1938) was the head of UNIFIL, was involved in the arab-israeli conflict of 1978 and known for his hate towards overweight women, investing in a pyramid scheme in 2008 and hunting animals in Africa.

First Chairman of the European Union Military Committee 2001-2004

What I understand from recent news is that the good old bigot's wife has suffered from Alzheimer's for a couple of years and while being her carer he started using antidepressants:

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008871760.html

Article is behind a paywall but seems to be doing better now. His wife, Ritva,  lives in a care home now. 

Forgot to mention this one:

Anton Tus (1931-2023) Croatia's only living five-star general and first Chief of the General Staff 1991-1992. Can't find any recent articles, I wonder how he's doing.

Algeria's Minister of Mujahideen, the President's advisor and the Minister of Health visited three old Algerian military figures of the Algerian War today.

1. Colonel Tahar Zbiri (Arabic wiki, French wiki) 93-year-old who served in the Algerian War as the leader of Wilaya I 1961-1962. And the first Chief of Staff of the Army of Algeria 1964-1967. He's been in very bad health for years and had a bad case of covid in 2020. Seems a bit better than in May, though.

zbiri.png.3a80f2ba740138c0513f530ac4d36e39.png

2. Youssef El Khatib/Youcef Khatib (Arabic wiki, French wiki). 89-year-old who was the leader of Wilaya IV 1961-1962 after the death of Djilali Bounaâma. Later a Bouteflika critic. He's in the middle and seems to be doing great for his age.

youcef.png.b1a6cc1999355df5588a775918ea0d55.png

3. Djamila Boupacha, now 84, militant who attempted to bomb a cafe in Algiers in 1959 and was arrested for it in 1960. She was raped and tortured, and this case gained wide attention, especially after she brought her torture case to trial with Tunisian-French lawyer Gisèle Halimi, and after publicity by Simone de Beauvoir. She gained support of multiple prominent French artists and politicians during the trial including Pablo Picasso. Pretty much a national symbol. Seems to be doing fine.

boupacha.png.d2c9770d7ae3e13d214df6bd0f6c1e9a.png

On 22/05/2020 at 00:26, YoungWillz said:

Lady Letitia Inge (nee Thornton-Berry) has died: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/241982/inge

She was the wife of Field Marshal Peter Inge, Baron Inge, who remains alive and a soon to be pick on the DDP if I'm not mistaken.

Field Marshal Peter Inge Times Obit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/field-marshal-lord-inge-kg-obituary-3rvlqx36m

Don't say I told you so, I think someone did pick him this year @gcreptile so straight to QO.

• Like 5

Lt. Gen Fu Kuiqing dead at 101. Sohu covered his life story in January.

Was already a lieutenant general when Tien An Men facts happened. Not among the founding lt generals though.

• Like 3