Paul Bearer

Nana Mouskouri

Watching bbc4 ATM.  I remember as a kid watching her show on the tellybox in the 60's/70's. Born 1934, aged 85 now.  

Might be worth a punt? 

• Like 4

She's been on my list, for a few years, now. 

• Like 1

If this were everbody's wake up song, the world would be a better place:

By the way, Nana will turn 86 on October 13. She is still very well known and respected in Germany and if she dies once it will be big in the News.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Book said:

By the way, Nana will turn 86 on October 13. She is still very well known and respected in Germany and if she dies once it will be big in the News.

Imagine how huge it’d be if she died twice :o

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Book said:

If this were everbody's wake up song, the world would be a better place:

If I had to wake up to that I'd reach for the rope. Song rather than Nana, but she never floated my canoe either.

14 minutes ago, Book said:

She is still very well known and respected in Germany and if she dies once* it will be big in the News.

Oops: *one day

Occasionally I check up on her. She's a huge star internationally.  She seems to be doing okay for now. But she could be on the list in 1-2 years.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Occasionally I check up on her. She's a huge star internationally.  She seems to be doing okay for now. But she could be on the list in 1-2 years.

In France she’s a real star, the generation following Greco’s and Cordy’s one. A real important singer alongside with Mireille Matthieu who is a few years younger (74 now) 

• Like 1

Does her title of "best-selling female artist of all time" hold water? I can believe that she was very successful back in the day, but 350 million records seems exaggerated.

4 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Does her title of "best-selling female artist of all time" hold water? I can believe that she was very successful back in the day, but 350 million records seems exaggerated.

Seems like an urban myth to me.

Madonna is the best selling female artist of all time. She’s sold somewhere in between 275 to 300 million records, depending on the source. I believe Rihanna is second at around 250 million.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Seems like an urban myth to me.

Madonna is the best selling female artist of all time. She’s sold somewhere in between 275 to 300 million records, depending on the source. I believe Rihanna is second at around 250 million.

It's all Greek to me.

(You knew someone was going to say it....)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

R.I.P

You're heading in the right direction to having your posts put on mod preview. 

• Thanks 3

Definitely one to consider for the list next year. It's quite definitely possible at 86 to die from something sudden.

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

In France she’s a real star, the generation following Greco’s and Cordy’s one. A real important singer alongside with Mireille Matthieu who is a few years younger (74 now) 

I am pretty sure Mireille Matthieu was quite a regular on TV here when Sunday Night At The London Palladium was on TV in the 70s.

Nobody could understand a fucking word she was singing.*

*..unless you spoke French.

• Like 1

She's another one I used to get told I look like, and this was before I started wearing glasses.

26 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

She's another one I used to get told I look like, and this was before I started wearing glasses.

Nah, you don't look like her Handy.:D

5 hours ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Who isn't?

Pfft, so I'm a whore, what can I say? ;) :P

• Haha 1

Interestingly, nobody fancied her as a pick on the Eurovision category of this round's Scavenger Hunt, possibly the oldest qualifying person not picked. Make of that what you will. She represented Luxembourg in 1963 with 'À Force de Prier' - finished 8th. It doesn't really go anywhere in all honesty.

I considered her, but seeing that she is still quite active, decided against picking her.  Which is probably bad news for her.  :D

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Toast said:

I considered her, but seeing that she is still quite active, decided against picking her.  Which is probably bad news for her.  :D

Same.

On 28/09/2020 at 23:26, RoverAndOut said:

Interestingly, nobody fancied her as a pick on the Eurovision category of this round's Scavenger Hunt, possibly the oldest qualifying person not picked. Make of that what you will. She represented Luxembourg in 1963 with 'À Force de Prier' - finished 8th. It doesn't really go anywhere in all honesty.

I wasn't expecting anyone from 1963 to still be alive so I went with whoever was after that point. Nana would've been on my list otherwise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dying Probably said:

I wasn't expecting anyone from 1963 to still be alive

:blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

86 today. Thank G** she has a thread.

• Like 2