Sign in to follow this  
The Great Cornholio

Des O'Connor

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

But he was in on the 'joke(s)' and it boosted his career. Des was no 'flake and I'm sure he and his bank manager sent a thank you card to E&E (and Eddie Braben).

I realise that, but there was still nothing funny about their "jokes".   What's funny about continually insulting someone unless the insults are really witty and original?  eg Blackadder.

M&W were just school playground level. 

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well I did say he was a probable!

I got the ' he will get to 90' bit wrong tho.

I was going to say "that was a good call by LFN" based on previous but I might retract it with this hitherto unseen 90 lark from last month. :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

I was going to say "that was a good call by LFN" based on previous but I might retract it with this hitherto unseen 90 lark from last month. :D

Bastard.:lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

I realise that, but there was still nothing funny about their "jokes".   What's funny about continually insulting someone unless the insults are really witty and original?  eg Blackadder.

I understand where you are coming from on this.

On the face of it, their jokes would have been seen as vicious and nasty if Des hadn't actually been in on them. There is a scene where they all are, I think, walking down a staircase and Des disappears. He was well in on the piss taking to be fair.

He, himself, once said that he had no problems with M&W making fun of him but he didn't appreciate others trying to get in on the act and doing the same.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He has been dead for hours now and not a sniff of that cunt Coffin Lodger coming on here and posting about how absolutely devastated he is and how he watched him on everything he was in blah blah blah.

Sounds like you're missing him :D

• Shocked 1

Very sad news, first time I watched Countdown was when he was in it. 

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Sounds like you're missing him :D

...like I would miss syphilis.....:D

1 minute ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Very sad news, first time I watched Countdown was when he was in it. 

Now don't  start giving everybody the impression that you are educated!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Now don't  start giving everybody the impression that you are educated!

So I guess we wont be rating Countdown hosts like Bond stars then? :lol:

(Because frankly Nick Hewer irritates the shit out of me.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

So I guess we wont be rating Countdown hosts like Bond stars then? :lol:

(Because frankly Nick Hewer irritates the shit out of me.)

Whiteley was the best host.

That is how bad they have all been.:)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He has been dead for hours now and not a sniff of that cunt Coffin Lodger coming on here and posting about how absolutely devastated he is and how he watched him on everything he was in blah blah blah.

All those tears have drowned his fucking keyboard.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Toast said:

Each to their own I suppose. Personally, I find their insults quite amusing, but I realise that they might not be to everyone's taste. It is easy to forget nowadays that M&W were playing to the mass family audience. Their humour had to appeal to everyone from young kids up to grannies. There are not many modern comedians who could pull that off, but with so many more outlets now for their work, they don't need to. It does mean however, that M&Ws stuff doesn't come across as particularly edgy or original, and maybe doesn't stand up so well to modern audiences.

And what's wrong with school playground humour? Next you will be trying to tell me that fart jokes are not funny! 

On 02/10/2020 at 18:00, Kenny McCormick said:

Very surprised to find there isn't a thread for presenter, singer and comedian Des O'Connor (who turns 89 in a few months). 

Des is getting pretty old now, plus considering he has a 16 year old son to look after at his age I reckon that surely has to wear him down. A good candidate for 2021 DL?

Looks like your thread was the kiss of death for him !:(  R.I.P  to a broadcasting legend 

47 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Each to their own I suppose. Personally, I find their insults quite amusing, but I realise that they might not be to everyone's taste. It is easy to forget nowadays that M&W were playing to the mass family audience. Their humour had to appeal to everyone from young kids up to grannies. There are not many modern comedians who could pull that off, but with so many more outlets now for their work, they don't need to. It does mean however, that M&Ws stuff doesn't come across as particularly edgy or original, and maybe doesn't stand up so well to modern audiences.

And what's wrong with school playground humour? Next you will be trying to tell me that fart jokes are not funny! 

:lol: I'm not what you would describe as a " modern audience".  I was at school during their heyday.  Didn't find them funny then and my mother detested them. 

Their humour was very puerile and their most memorable sketches relied heavily on guests, usually because of their incongruity.

School playground humour should stay in the school playground where nobody's getting paid for it.

As for humour generally, in my book anything goes as long as it's funny.  It has to be funny.  They weren't.

Virtually nothing is intrinsically funny; there are things that I find funny that you won't and vice versa. 

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Does that leave just Gordon Ramsay now left for celebrities who claim to have been professional footballers but weren't?

Bradley Walsh

Nicky Byrne

Matt Smith 

MC Harvey

Wolf from Gladiators 

Rod Stewart 

Olly Murs

Steve Harris

and Martin Keown. 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, time said:

Virtually nothing is intrinsically funny; there are things that I find funny that you won't and vice versa. 

You're not wrong there, old timer. On the whole, I find tragedy funnier than comedy. 

3 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

You're not wrong there, old timer. On the whole, I find tragedy funnier than comedy. 

As the saying goes, comedy is tragedy plus time (in which case, my life should be fucking hilarious).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Bradley Walsh

Nicky Byrne

Matt Smith 

MC Harvey

Wolf from Gladiators 

Rod Stewart 

Olly Murs

Steve Harris

and Martin Keown. 

Is this some sort of conspiracy? Where's David Icke?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Is this some sort of conspiracy? Where's David Icke?

He actually was one sadly.

I liked Des O'Connor as a person. A genuinely warm, nice man who wasn't afraid to laugh at himself, had little ego considering his extensive career and only wanted to entertain. 

His programmes were too light and fluffy for my liking but he was a good egg. RIP Des. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He actually was one sadly.

The man claims to be the son of God and that it's his destiny to save the World. In reality he couldn't even save a free kick. 

2 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Bradley Walsh

Nicky Byrne

Matt Smith 

MC Harvey

Wolf from Gladiators 

Rod Stewart 

Olly Murs

Steve Harris

and Martin Keown. 

Bradley Walsh was a professional for Brentford but never played a first-team game:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180212201634/http://world.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10421~883335,00.html

4 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Bradley Walsh

Nicky Byrne

Matt Smith 

MC Harvey

Wolf from Gladiators 

Rod Stewart 

Olly Murs

Steve Harris

and Martin Keown. 

Nicky Byrne was on the bench for Leeds for a PL game I think. They'd 2 keepers out injured at the same time and weren't able to call another one back from loan in time