Hpresti

Beverly Cleary

Children's author Beverly Cleary is 101 and possibly nearing her final day.

Seemed well in the last interview I saw of her.Doubt she would make the DL as she is only well known in America I think.

• Like 1

Who? 

8 minutes ago, Hpresti said:

Children's author Beverly Cleary is 101 and possibly nearing her final day.

Maybe she won't live happily ever after then.

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Who? 

Childrens author. Wrote a whole bunch of books in the 1950s. Not as read today, I don't know.

Her stuff is dated but decent enough.

Also, very old, but not very notable in the UK.

• Like 1

Her Ramona Quimby books were popular among American schoolchildren for decades.  There was a tv adaptation starring Sarah Polley in the late 80's. There was also a  Ramona movie 5-10 years ago in which Selena Gomez played her older sister Beezus

Been mentioned before and does not merit a separate thread.

• Like 1

If someone is "notable" or not depends also on the own personal perspective.

In my opinion she is well known enough, not only in USA and i would mean on a worldwide perspective she is even more notable than people like bracknell, downie, sandy gall, gay byrne or erroll christie

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

If someone is "notable" or not depend also on the own personal perspective.

In my opinion she is well known enough, not only in USA and on a worldwide perspective i would mean she is more notable than people like bracknell, downie, sandy gall, gay byrne or erroll christie

Funny thing, I actually have heard of Gord Downie before his cancer diagnosis. I haven't heard of Clearly before joining the deathlist forums, and I do live in America. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Funny thing, I actually have heard of Gord Downie before his cancer diagnosis. I haven't heard of Clearly before deathlist, and I do live in America. 

sure, this is what I meant with "worldwide perspective". may be possible that he enjoys a local fame in USA or Canada. but otherwise in the world he is largely unknown. Just check the main media from asia or rest of europe, beside UK,  or for example check the non english speaking country-specific wiki pages, he has even no entry in almost everyone of them, on the whole he`s a nobody in most parts of this world. in Terms of world-wide name-recognition he is not in the slightest comparable with really well known people like kirk douglas, helmut kohl, Olivia NJ and so on,

Nothing for bad, only my humble opinion ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomTomTelekom said:

In my opinion she is well known enough, not only in USA and i would mean on a worldwide perspective she is even more notable than people like bracknell, downie, sandy gall, gay byrne or erroll christie

People on the Deathlist always get a thread.  But it's not up to us who goes on the DL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Sandy Gall is a very distinguished journalist and presenter who is a household name to people over a certain age.Gay Byrne is incredibly famous in Ireland and I think most people in Britain know who he is.Leah Bracknell was on a TV soap for many years that aired several episodes a week so is pretty well known.Downie is a more obscure name to the Brits but is big in Canada and amongst a certain amount of music fanatics in the UK.Errol Christie is quite an obscure pick who many of us hadn`t heard of until he got ill.He is a boxer who was socially well-connected and appeared on ITV`s boxing program which I assume was very well watched.

• Like 2

According to wikipedia her books have sold 91 million companies. I doubt even 20% of that have ever watched an Errol Christie boxing match. I can see people making the case she doesn't belong on deathlist 50 in 2018,but as one of the most prolific children's authors ever she easily meets the bar for being notable enough for her own thread.

She is on my theme team and I don't think she deserves her own thread. If the committee decided to put her on the list next year I would not object but until the the Authors thread would suffice. 

• Like 2

As much as a talented author she is, I believe the clock is ticking for her.

Long live Cleary!

Edited by Death Impends
Merged into preexisting Beverly Cleary thread - in the future I would recommend doing a quick search to see if a name already has an appropriate thread

On 31/05/2017 at 01:41, CaptainChorizo said:

According to wikipedia her books have sold 91 million companies. I doubt even 20% of that have ever watched an Errol Christie boxing match. I can see people making the case she doesn't belong on deathlist 50 in 2018,but as one of the most prolific children's authors ever she easily meets the bar for being notable enough for her own thread.

Hell yeah

But it's copies, not companies, right?

Don’t worry, she’s not dead. She’s turned 104 today :birthday:

• Like 8

We keep bringing up Beverly Cleary as a notable old person, yet there isn't a thread for her.

She has written books such as Henry Huggins (1950), Ralph S. Mouse (1982) and Ramona's World (1999).

She's also 104, which means that she's quite the safe bet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

We keep bringing up Beverly Cleary as a notable old person, yet there isn't a thread for her.

She has written books such as Henry Huggins (1950), Ralph S. Mouse (1982) and Ramona's World (1999).

She's also 104, which means that she's quite the safe bet.

That reminds me... do we already have a thread for Norman Lloyd?

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That reminds me... do we already have a thread for Norman Lloyd?

Yes, started by great troll Africa7777 or some other number and originally full of spelling mistakes. Here you go:

12 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:

About 6 weeks away from 105 years old.

thanks for the news...

RIP

She has got push notifications from the Washington Post and New York Times and has already got a Q/O in the Sun.