Hpresti

Beverly Cleary

Aww. I mean, she had a good long life but its still sad to see writers I used to read die. I liked her books, they were of that very 1950s style where not a lot happens and people live happily with their pet dogs. 

• Like 2

A hit for me. 

• Like 1

Absolutely disgraceful they left a 104 year old woman off the list. We missed big time

• Like 2

Another one off my list, she had a good long life-  I loved reading her books when I was a kid- yes, she should have been on the list, but maybe she's not so famous over there in the UK-

On 30/05/2017 at 18:19, Joey Russ said:

Funny thing, I actually have heard of Gord Downie before his cancer diagnosis. I haven't heard of Clearly before joining the deathlist forums, and I do live in America. 

But you are a guy, and as such would not have read her books as a kid- I think they were mostly read by girls.

6 minutes ago, chiesa52 said:

But you are a guy, and as such would not have read her books as a kid- I think they were mostly read by girls.

You’re responding to a post when I was a bit more naive. A few years have past and I now recognize how influential an author she was. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, chiesa52 said:

I’m a male, and I read many of her books

• Like 1

No age at all. RIP.

On 25/02/2021 at 06:42, anthonyd46 said:

About 6 weeks away from 105 years old.

18 days short of her 105th birthday sadly

What a big old miss.

Will newish accounts stop suggesting her in the Ideas and Possibilities threads now ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leon Brittan said:

Absolutely disgraceful they left a 104 year old woman off the list. We missed big time

No, we didn’t. They did. Just like they ‘missed’ everyone else who’s fucking died this year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pedantic argument: Have I now ‘outlived’ Ckeary or do I have to live to 105 to do that?  It’s thoughts like this that have me awake at 5am.

• Haha 1

It feels like everyone I dropped died since the start of the year. I think I may haven’t understood the concept...

• Haha 1

She had a good run.  I may have mentioned before (perhaps on the Olivia de Havilland thread?) that I had a great aunt who lived just shy of her 105th birthday as well.