Spade_Cooley

Tom Parker

Before the “who?” brigade bombard the thread with their ignorance, The Wanted were basically the Poundland One Direction that never made it big overseas. They had a fair few top 20 songs in the early 2010s and were adored by my age group before 1D came along and even after.

Definitely a very popular pick in 2021 if he makes it. 

Aaaaahh....  the Tom Smith of 2021? Would you joker the "terminally ill" 13-pointer in his first year after diagnosis?

Edit: Glioblastoma, by the way.

Horrible news.

No surgery available and stage four means he is very likely to die by June I will say.

49 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Horrible news.

No surgery available and stage four means he is very likely to die by June I will say.

So, the reality show to replace him is scheduled to start in July, then!

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, the reality show to replace him is scheduled to start in July, then!

Unlikely the Wanted have been finished for a while (through everyone expected the inevitable reunion in the mid 2020's.)

Isn't one of the other members of The Wanted due to be on Strictly Come Dancing this year? No doubt that will give this sad situation and the group itself greater prominence. 

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Aaaaahh....  the Tom Smith of 2021? Would you joker the "terminally ill" 13-pointer in his first year after diagnosis?

Edit: Glioblastoma, by the way.

Glioblastoma for deadpoolers is like Fulham at home for fantasy football players. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Isn't one of the other members of The Wanted due to be on Strictly Come Dancing this year? No doubt that will give this sad situation and the group itself greater prominence. 

One was on a few years ago and won if I remember correctly

3 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

One was on a few years ago and won if I remember correctly

And another one (Max) is on this year - and he is the closest in terms of friendship to Tom I think.  It was said in the interview that he has visited him a few times recently.

3 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Before the “who?” brigade bombard the thread with their ignorance, The Wanted were basically the Poundland One Direction that never made it big overseas. They had a fair few top 20 songs in the early 2010s and were adored by my age group before 1D came along and even after.

Definitely a very popular pick in 2021 if he makes it. 

I'm not going to say "who?" because a mere glance at the rest of the internet shows this has exploded the internet and the band were clearly quite massive with teenage girls about a decade ago. (The late 00s equivalent of a Take That or McFly/Busted, I guess.)

That said, did you ever feel completely out of touch?

• Like 2

Both Girls Aloud and The Wanted are at risk of losing a member, though I can’t help but think this one will go quicker than Sarah Harding...

From OK magazine - he has had chemo and radiotherapy and he is looking for alternative miracle therapies - OK tells us the average life expectancy is 3 to 18 months.  He has not asked for a specific prognosis but has been told it's terminal.  Interested in clinical trials both in the UK and abroad. Already at the stage through where physiotherapy  is being done to help mobility.  Planning 6 months of chemo from December.

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/tom-parker-brain-tumour-kelsey-22820686

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Unlikely the Wanted have been finished for a while (through everyone expected the inevitable reunion in the mid 2020's.)

They're all "finished" until some unmissable opportunity presents itself. What - exactly - troubles the various Wanteds 24/7 to the point it's a bigger earner than the reunion album and tour all tastefully concocted in praise of their fallen comrade, or summat?

36 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

OK tells us the average life expectancy is 3 to 18 months.

What sort of Average is that?

Excluding outliers the life expectancy is 3 to 18 months from diagnosis is my translation.

Diagnosis 6 weeks ago is start of September. 16 months before end of 2021.

With my joker pick for this year Tom Smith looking like he's going to cost me a top 10 it's going to be a tough call to make come December.

47 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm not going to say "who?" because a mere glance at the rest of the internet shows this has exploded the internet and the band were clearly quite massive with teenage girls about a decade ago. (The late 00s equivalent of a Take That or McFly/Busted, I guess.)

That said, did you ever feel completely out of touch?

Not this time, as I am aware of the band, although I couldn't have named any of the members (or recognised any, come to that).  I couldn't hum any of their songs either.

This source says from diagnosis someone has 12-18 months on the clock - with 25% living past 12 months.

Probably goes without saying that Tom Parker is a good candidate for next year's list.

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

From OK magazine - he has had chemo and radiotherapy and he is looking for alternative miracle therapies - OK tells us the average life expectancy is 3 to 18 months.  He has not asked for a specific prognosis but has been told it's terminal.  Interested in clinical trials both in the UK and abroad. Already at the stage through where physiotherapy  is being done to help mobility.  Planning 6 months of chemo from December.

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/tom-parker-brain-tumour-kelsey-22820686

I’ll be surprised if he makes 2021.

Is he going to be the next Leah Bracknell

Given a year to live only to still be around in 3 or4 years from now 

34 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

Is he going to be the next Leah Bracknell

Given a year to live only to still be around in 3 or4 years from now 

I feel like Sarah Harding is a much more likely recipient of that title than Parky. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I feel like Sarah Harding is a much more likely recipient of that title than Parky. 

Same - Breast compared to gioblastoma has a lot more -'live for years with advanced cancer' cases.

"Come on, Parky!"

"Don't be silly, Parky!"

"Come on, Parky!"

"Don't be stupid, man!"

"Come on man, die!"

Dear Sir, 

I would like to complain about this post, about people dying of glioblastoma. I myself have had glioblastoma all my life and have never once...waaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh....

All I can think about is that his second child isn't even born yet and both kids won't have a father growing up other than a step dad depending what his wife does in the future.

I used to listen to The Wanted but they never had big popularity compared to One Direction, Take That, JLS and other boybands around same time. Very sad news overall about his cancer.

• Like 2