The Old Crem

Bobby Charlton

With news of his Dementia diagnosis being made public and his likely future appearances on the List I have opened a thread for him.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think him and Babs will be the next "big dementia names" they wind up picking.

• Like 1

True depends how far advanced it is but he is too big a name to leave off future lists he will probably die in next 2 or 3 years probably too early for next year but can’t leave him of just in case. Sad news a true legend. 

2 hours ago, Fergie86 said:

True depends how far advanced it is but he is too big a name to leave off future lists he will probably die in next 2 or 3 years probably too early for next year but can’t leave him of just in case. Sad news a true legend. 

I doubt he has that long.

He's been out of the spotlight for ages. Missed his own brother's funeral. I think he was diagnosed a while back and that the family have more or less been forced to reveal the diagnosis due to the death of 4 of his '66 teammates this year and his repeated absence/silence. The tabloids were probably trying to get in touch persistently.

It depends if he is going into a special care home or even if he catches Covid. But I put bets on him going in the next two years.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I doubt he has that long.

He's been out of the spotlight for ages. Missed his own brother's funeral. I think he was diagnosed a while back and that the family have more or less been forced to reveal the diagnosis due to the death of 4 of his '66 teammates this year and his repeated absence/silence. The tabloids were probably trying to get in touch persistently.

He looked well enough at Gordon Banks funeral  18 months ago and looked like he was still a fair bit more independent than Jack was by then.  Will be gone by 2024 but hard to pinpoint.

3 hours ago, msc said:

Yeah, I think him and Babs will be the next "big dementia names" they wind up picking.

Certainly.

Well enough to have his vaccine photo taken but not well enough to attend his brother's funeral. 

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

image.thumb.png.231dba41b3e9b7398000c8bd757cfaa4.png

Gets his vaccine - doesn't look too bad

He looks very normal.

He looks very thin and not quite there (which we know is true) however he doesn't look on the verge of death. Probably 2-3 years left if Covid isn't a factor. 

I think it would be worth putting him on the list next year assuming he's still going. 

Everybody I have seen photographed having the vaccine has had a mask on.......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Depending on how confused he gets, they may not have made him wear one. Just a hypothesis.

42 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Depending on how confused he gets, they may not have made him wear one. Just a hypothesis.

Exactly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

black-brown-people-covid-19-vaccine-tria

I’m sorry, is this Peter Falk or something?

(Probably a good choice on paper. That said, I think he still has a few years left)

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m sorry, is this Peter Falk or something?

(Probably a good choice on paper. That said, I think he still has a few years left)

Fame wise he is a good choice (and that’s why he is one my shadow list) but I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him still alive in 2023. 

Didn’t realize he never got another thread reply since January 1st last year! Which is odd too since I think there were some updates on him as well 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Didn’t realize he never got another thread reply since January 1st last year! Which is odd too since I think there were some updates on him as well 

There's crossover with other threads, notably Boys of 1966, so people will have commented on him there.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

One brother just died of dementia and cancer and another brother also has dementia:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sir-bobby-charltons-family-lose-29021748

I wonder if it was a genetic link as well as football. All four siblings getting dementia is quite unusual even with football. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I wonder if it was a genetic link as well as football. All four siblings getting dementia is quite unusual even with football. 

It must be, one of the brothers didn’t play soccer.

Also, the article stated Bobby was so ill with advanced dementia he could not attend his brother’s funeral (like he couldn’t attend Jack’s in 2020). Looks like a lock for 2023.

• Like 1

Just now, The Daredevil said:

It must be, one of the brothers didn’t play soccer.

Also, the article stated Bobby was so ill with advanced dementia he could not attend this funeral (like he couldn’t attend Jack’s in 2020). Looks like a lock for 2023.

Probably but dementia is a disease where some people who seem certain to go just linger on in horrible health.

• Like 1