Joey Russ

Advent Avalanche 2020

Congratulations, Spade! 

Congratulations, Spade. You make this look too easy.

I'd like to thank Floyd Little's hospice nurse. Gets the drive for 5 back into motion for 2021.

• Like 2

Salute to Spade, king of the quick dead pool. 

Very welcome to try yer luck in the Deathrace, Spade

As a bit of a bonus, Spade's pick also would've received a QO too

Bollocks and arse.

By which, of course, I mean hearty round of applause to Spade, nice going! :clap:

Also looks like the Mad Hatter gets silver in the end. Well done to him. :) 

Really hope that @The Mad Hatter shows up more often...

On 30/11/2020 at 19:09, gcreptile said:

2 people who, surprisingly to me weren't picked: Dovid Soloveitchik and Tabare Vazquez.

Ah, so the latter would have been a 3rd place.

So that’s our podium set then, and it’s only been a week since the game began. Which begs the question how many people picked will die before Christmas Day. 22 still lives...

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

So that’s our podium set then, and it’s only been a week since the game began. Which begs the question how many people picked will die before Christmas Day. 22 still lives...

I still think Nick Hitchon may be long dead but no one will care for another 5 or 6 years.

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I still think Nick Hitchon may be long dead but no one will care for another 5 or 6 years.

I doubt it. I imagine the university that he taught at, if nothing else, would announce his death so he’s likely still alive 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

He's alive and still teaching a full course as of the 2020-2021 academic year btw.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I doubt it. I imagine the university that he taught at, if nothing else, would announce his death so he’s likely still alive 

2 minutes ago, msc said:

He's alive and still teaching a full course as of the 2020-2021 academic year btw.

Thanks - too late for my team now anyhow. He would have been in if I had had msc power of research (patience). Cheers

21 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Thanks - too late for my team now anyhow. He would have been in if I had had msc power of research (patience). Cheers

Hah its just coincidence I happened to look it up a week ago out of curiosity.

At least you can find out what happens to him. I've never picked her because she's as famous as my aunt, but campanologist Julie McDonnell (?) fell off the radar about 2 years ago.

On 30/11/2020 at 19:02, drol said:

4)Litsa Menounos: those tweets are worrying. Advanced glioblastoma, surely not long.

So, what was exactly up with Litsa Menounos? Well, she is hospitalised with COVID-19 and her cancer is growing.

34 minutes ago, drol said:

So, what was exactly up with Litsa Menounos? Well, she is hospitalised with COVID-19 and her cancer is growing.

I mean, technically she was in every episode of some godawful sounding reality TV show so shes just about eligible, but talk of boring sounding picks...

Anyhow, glio/covid sounds like a tag team that will make that a moot point...

I watched 30 minutes of Maria M's video podcast yesterday to form track, and being as she kept saying "I may need to leave at any minute" and had her mobile phone right in front of her the whole time, I don't think anyone needs to worry about picking Litsa in 2021.

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 18:02, drol said:

With all picks taken, here is a quick analysis before it's too late. Most likely to win:

1)Zafarullah Khan Jamali. On life support after heart attack, also left weak by COVID. Was prematurely announced dead, seems the most obvious winner.

2)Floyd Little. The pick everyone has to beat. Has been in hospice care for a week, could go any day.

3)Saleh Ajeery. In ICU with COVID-19 at 100 and with a plethora of health issues doesn't leave much to imagination. Still, no news in two days, likely stable for now.

4)Litsa Menounos: those tweets are worrying. Advanced glioblastoma, surely not long.

5)Divya Bhatnagar. Critical in ICU with COVID. Still, very young and should make it (but I won't be sure)

6)Rob Orkies. The less famous of them all, a common person with cancer and COVID-19. When, not if and will be very soon.

A bit less likely:

1)Hubert Auriol: yes, critical in ICU with COVID, but is relatively young and no news in a week. Most people of his age manage to recover. Watch out anyway.

2)Ged Stokes. He is overdue with advanced cancer. Could be the great surprise.

3)Larry King. Improving, makes him less likely.

4)Tommy Lasorda. Improving, makes him less likely.

Whale, Limbaugh, Smith could be winning picks too. The other will need lot of luck. Note that I got last MMDP prediction completely wrong, so expect Prince Philip to die tomorrow.

Obvious pick who was not picked: won't say it now, as it could still be used as a reserve pick.

Ged Stokes being reported dead:

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Ged Stokes being reported dead:

Another DDP lock down the drain. At this rate it'll be me putting up Sinead O'bloody Connor!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Another DDP lock down the drain. At this rate it'll be me putting up Sinead O'bloody Connor!

Another Cumbrian casualty from my already submitted team - it's got to the point I'm having to pick some extra subs to send to YW :-(

• Like 1