Joey Russ

The 6th Crowdsource Deathlist (2021 edition)

1 minute ago, Moaning Minnie said:

Looks on paper like this could get double (20-30) the main list (10-15)

Could easily see the spread being even greater than that

In case you can’t figure it out, this thread is you doing Joey’s research for him.  How damn dumb do you have to be?  This thread is brought to you by the same Okie bedwetter that started the Who Should be on Deathlist 2021 thread. What the hell is wrong with you people?  Granted, I applaud Roey for coming up with a way to get dumbasses to give away info.  
SC

• Facepalm 2

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

In case you can’t figure it out, this thread is you doing Joey’s research for him.  How damn dumb do you have to be?  This thread is brought to you by the same Okie bedwetter that started the Who Should be on Deathlist 2021 thread. What the hell is wrong with you people?  Granted, I applaud Roey for coming up with a way to get dumbasses to give away info.  
 SC

I mean it was msc's idea as he ran it several years, dementia setting in early?

Just annoyed you didn't think of it?

3 minutes ago, Moaning Minnie said:

I mean it was msc's idea as he ran it several years, dementia setting in early?

Just annoyed you didn't think of it?

I was annoyed when my cunning plan to get people to do my research for me instead led to hot tips on Prince Philip and Bob Dole for years...

:D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

80% of names sent are like geriatic celebs,and the other 20% are punts/personal faves or  common ill board names like Limbaugh/Whale/Ryan O'Neal. No one with a potential unique is gonna submit like Guardian sportwriter with lung cancer or former NBA Backup center with Brain cancer as a crowdsource entry.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

80% of names sent are like geriatic celebs,and the other 20% are punts/personal faves or  common ill board names like Limbaugh/Whale/Ryan O'Neal. No one with a potential unique is gonna submit like Guardian sportwriter with lung cancer or former NBA Backup center with Brain cancer as a crowdsource entry.

To be honest if you were in the business of pick stealing you'd be far far better of running a pool like the Hares or Deathrace........ you get a full 25 or 20 names - so enough to be a good crop but not reams of random people making up numbers - so it usually includes a couple of DDP rejects thrown alongside a DDP team or some other names that are borderline famous by DDP standards so could be punts on unique in DDP with a risky obit. 

No one's going to submit dodgy or obscure names to Crowdsourced as they'd never make it if no-one else is meant to know of them, a team v team pool though is ripe for good DDP names. 

(This is why I make a point of submitting DDP team before looking at entries, I'm not sure I've always made such a point of that though - i.e the year I finished a respectable 55th.... ;) ) 

12 minutes ago, msc said:

I was annoyed when my cunning plan to get people to do my research for me instead led to hot tips on Prince Philip and Bob Dole for years...

:D

The Hare's needs a host/entry manager for 2021 if you're leaving the DDP ;):P

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Tit.

In other news, no Schafernaker. Again. I’m fucking disappointed with you all. That aside, this list pisses all over the official DL.

9 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Tit.

In other news, no Schafernaker. Again. I’m fucking disappointed with you all. That aside, this list pisses all over the official DL.

I love the fact that in about 30-40 years team he's going to be a valid pick and we'll have a genuine right to be annoyed if he isn't on the list.

(also jesus christ, he's older than I thought - had him down as early to mid 30s) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, there’s 10 minutes left to go, and as such it is time to reveal the drops, DQs, and Near Misses: 

Drops: Harry Reid, Imelda Marcos, Desmond Tutu

DQ’s: None needed

Near Misses: Marsha Hunt, Bobby Charlton, George Shultz, Loretta Lynn, Trevor Peacock, Ozzy Osbourne, Nichelle Nichols, Anne Buydens, Jiang Zemin, Bernard Tapie, James Lovelock

Lata Mangeshkar is a drop?

Just now, The Old Crem said:

Lata Mangeshkar is a drop?

This is what I get for not double checking the posts I just wrote down (but yes Mangeshkar is the drop rather than Marcos). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

This is what I get for not double checking the posts I just wrote down (but yes Mangeshkar is the drop rather than Marcos). 

Ah shit. I was looking forward to her thread.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Tit.

You really think the official list is that poor?

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

You really think the official list is that poor?

Pst, it’s an inforum joke FYI. 

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Pst, it’s an inforum joke FYI. 

Oh it's just that there seems to have been more backlash than usual against the official  list.I think both the crowdsourced and official list are both good.A handful of omissions from the official disappointed  me but it's not poor imo.

• Like 1

LARRY KING DEAD, ONLY ON CNN*

1/50

9934466_012221-cc-getty-larry-king-img.jpg.0fef79ced0c31efbf0994b20d85b9d08.jpg

23rd January 2021

Talk host legend Larry King has died at 87 to bring its first score to the crowdsource list. He began his career back in 1957 for a local Miami station, and went through various gigs in that time frame. From conducting an interview with Bobby Darin to being a color commentator for the Miami Dolphins he slowly began to rise in the ranks in local TV, although his career was briefly in jeopardy when he was accused of grand larceny. Eventually, he began his show Larry King Live in 1985. The topics that he covered was really wide topics including UFO conspiracy theorists to interviews with celebrities and politicians. Perhaps his most important interview was when Ross Perot announced his candidacy for President in 1992, which lead to the most successful run of a third party run since John B Anderson, ie absolute garbage. He quit doing Larry King Live in 2010, where he was unfortunately replaced by twat Piers Morgan. Outside of his talk show appearances he was known for his seven wives, which made him a male version of Elizabeth Taylor. He also made an appearance in WWE Raw in 2012, and had the pleasure of taking a four minute phone call during Dave Rubin's live show. In recent years, his health became a major focus on his life. First he faced a cancer bout in 2017, and then went into a coma for a few weeks. However, it was COVID that seemingly ended it for him (although the cause of death is not officially confirmed despite the likeliness of what caused it). Really, how the fuck did the committee not bring him onto their list? This was his second appearance on the crowdsourced list, jumping all the way to 12th on the list.

*tribute to a DDP team sadly no longer playing

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am well aware that I need to catch up on the remaining 6 obituaries from last year, but unfortunately my wellbeing still isn't that great. However, I will try to keep up with the current year's list and hopefully not have a backlog like last year. 

• Thanks 2

CAPTAIN TOM'S DEATH WALK

2/50

captain-tom-moore.jpg.7859bb19cd2bc0892e1cddf3ad519fc8.jpg

2nd February 2021

COVID-19 personality Captain Tom Moore has died from the very same thing that brought him to fame to bring the crowdsource list up to its second score. Captain Tom was a World War 2 veteran where he was a part of the Fourteenth Army (also known as the Forgotten Army), serving in Burma during his time in the army. He eventually became an instructor after returning to the UK before he demobilized in 1946. After the army he became a sales manager in York where, apart from a single appearance on gameshow Blankety Blank, he seemed destine to fade away from the limelight completely. That all changed in April 2020 however, where he decided to start a fundraising campaign near his 100th birthday. All of a sudden, his life rejuvenated, at least as much as any 100 year old man could. He smashed his fundraising goal, and he raised over 30 million pounds by his 100th birthday. He then became a media darling, giving over 150 interviews until to his death. He also topped the UK charts, proving once again that you don't need any vocal talent to top the charts these days. Finally, he go knighted by the Queen for his fundraising efforts, and eventually was able to appear in the Guinness Book of World Records. His last year was frankly more eventful than anything I've ever done, and his constant media coverage made him a shoo in for the Crowdsource List, debuting at the 23rd spot on the list. 

• Like 3

SPINKS KO'D

3/50

leon-spinks.thumb.jpg.89215f0fbc0a9c54ebd3dfac98acecde.jpg

5th February 2021

Professional heavyweight boxing legend Leon Spinks has died to give the crowdsource list a quick follow up hit. Spinks began his career by beating future champion (and past dead pool cult pick) Michael Dokes for the AAU title in 1974. He later got a gold medal at the 1976 Summer Olympics, beating out Sixto Soria for the gold medal. By the end of his amateur career, he only had 7 losses total and 133 KOS, so it was perhaps an omen to how well he would do once he got to the professional league. He defeated many folk in 1977 and eventually got Scott LeDoux to a draw in the same year. It was in 1978 however where his most remembered match occurred. He faced the all time great Muhammad Ali in February 1978, where Ali underestimated Spinks and lost the heavyweight title to Spinks. It ended up being the only time Ali lost a title to anybody. Spinks refused to defend the heavyweight title against Ken Norton however, and he was stripped of the title because of it. He eventually rematched Ali, where this time the legend easily defeated Spinks. Spinks slowed down after that, eventually being defeated by Larry Holmes in order to get the heavyweight title back and moving to cruiserweight soon afterwards. He still boxed up to 1994, but despite his mixed record in the end, he still had that record of being one of the few boxers to beat Ali. In late 2019, it was announced that he had prostate cancer, and while at first it seemed like not that big of a threat, it eventually became clear it was much more severe as 2020 went along. As such, he easily punched his way past the competition to get a top 10 spot on his debut year.

• Like 2

On 09/04/2021 at 19:40, YorkshireBanker said:

On pace for another 20+ hit year

Might get a fourth obit before the 20th hit..

Jimmy Greaves the 14th hit for the slightly forgotten Crowdsourced Deathlist!

Hello, I am well aware that this has not really been updated at all during the year. Over the last 6 months or so my overall motivation for keeping up with dead pooling has declined a lot. This is why I’m announcing today that I am retiring from hosting any dead pools barring the yearly Advent Avalanche. Now I won’t be retiring from dead pooling all together but I am probably taking a much more limited approach for the time being. I am sorry this hasn’t been taken care of, but hopefully someone can step up to the plate in hosting both this and the Deathlist cup as they really are amazing pools in general, and I don’t want either of them to die out because of a lack of a host. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no issues taking back the Crowdsourced List (its remarkably little time in the year overall) as I slide out of the DDP hosting, but after 2 years of the DDP I am not up to hosting the Deathlist Cup. But surely someone else will step in if its as popular as folk claim.