TQR

Punt Pool

A pick from earlier alerted me to an exploitable loophole in the health rules. 

Derek Draper was the pick. Happily, he failed on the grounds of fame, but he has made me decide to add ‘multiple organ failure’ to the ‘no heart attack/stroke in the last 5 years’ rule. 

Well done to the picker, and just to make it clear, this does not affect any of the entries I’ve had so far.

I’ve done my best with the time I have available to me at the moment to check all submissions thoroughly and get them confirmed quickly. I will be double- and treble-checking every single name near Christmas time (when I have some time off, hooray) on all criteria. Big thanks to the submissions I’ve had who’ve helped me with links to various stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m a bit surprised that Ted Turner was DQ’d for fame reasons, though regardless he does have Lewy Body’s Dementia so he wouldn’t have been accepted regardless I think

Ah yes, good point. I only came across this after putting him to the consultants (2 no’s). But yes, he’s a health DQ too.

37 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m a bit surprised that Ted Turner was DQ’d for fame reasons, though regardless he does have Lewy Body’s Dementia so he wouldn’t have been accepted regardless I think

Slightly surprised at a few of those failing on fame grounds too. Ted Turner is historically one of the most powerful figures in American broadcasting and was also satirised more than once in the first few seasons of Family Guy (although I confess he's one of those people I always forget exists).

While he failed on health grounds ultimately, I've also heard of Willie Mays (sportsman, no?) but am flabbergasted at the Alice Munro DQ. She's definitely got articles written about her and her Wikipedia is long enough, I'm assuming she fails on the ground of not having published anything new recently, but hell, the woman won the Nobel Literature Prize, why does she need to write anything else?! :lol: I don't claim to know anything about anything she's written, but I'm surprised she failed the fame test.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Double-checked this. Mary Quant was born in 1930, although for a long time she claimed a 1934 DOB. So Mary Quant is ineligible for this game.

A perfect example of why one should always quantify one's team before entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Slightly surprised at a few of those failing on fame grounds too. Ted Turner is historically one of the most powerful figures in American broadcasting and was also satirised more than once in the first few seasons of Family Guy (although I confess he's one of those people I always forget exists).

While he failed on health grounds ultimately, I've also heard of Willie Mays (sportsman, no?) but am flabbergasted at the Alice Munro DQ. She's definitely got articles written about her and her Wikipedia is long enough, I'm assuming she fails on the ground of not having published anything new recently, but hell, the woman won the Nobel Literature Prize, why does she need to write anything else?! :lol: I don't claim to know anything about anything she's written, but I'm surprised she failed the fame test.

Well, all it needs is 2/5 people to not know who they are for them to be DQ’d, and she got 3. There may well be some surprises like this.

3 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Well, all it needs is 2/5 people to not know who they are for them to be DQ’d, and she got 3. There may well be some surprises like this.

These things happen. When I ran that countdown of DLyness during the summer, one person had never heard of Sean Connery and called him "some American actor".

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I've just realised that means each of the four consultants has the power to veto a pick.

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've just realised that means each of the four consultants has the power to veto a pick.

Only if I’ve also never heard of them, but I haven’t been making a habit of telling them that :D

I put the names to the consultants even if I know who they are; I’m just one vote out of five.

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Only if I’ve also never heard of them, but I haven’t been making a habit of telling them that :D

I put the names to the consultants even if I know who they are; I’m just one vote out of five.

Oh, I thought you were just referring the ones you didn't recognise yourself.  Fair enough.

I’m supposed to play this game, and I’m finding out some fuckwit five person comedy troupe you call your consulting team never heard of Ted Turner??  

How about putting a goddamn AMERICAN on your team of consultants you 23-year old wet-behind-the-ears noob!  

SirC

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

I’m supposed to play this game, and I’m finding out some fuckwit five person comedy troup you call your consulting team never heard of Ted Turner??  

How about putting a goddamn AMERICAN on your team of consultants you 23-year old wet-behind-the-ears noob!  

SirC

Fuck off Creepy. Enough of the interweb is dominated by your lot.

We've just had a week dominated by your elections where an utter cretin with no redeemable qualities whatsoever still got 70 million votes.

There's a world outside the US borders, not that you lot think so*.

I know who Ted Turner is thanks.

Rude? Fire with fire. It's all some folks understand.

*those that post as you do that is.  There are plenty of perfectly pleasant Americans hereabouts.

• Like 3

TQM reading yet another entry (shown below) along with cronies.

082D6D64-1CAC-4DEA-B36B-8D1158A0DDB6.jpeg

30 minutes ago, En Passant said:

So do I, he used to be Jane Fonda's husband.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Fuck off Creepy. Enough of the interweb is dominated by your lot.

We've just had a week dominated by your elections where an utter cretin with no redeemable qualities whatsoever still got 70 million votes.

There's a world outside the US borders, not that you lot think so*.

Rude? Fire with fire. It's all some folks understand.

*those that post as you do that is.  There are plenty of perfectly pleasant Americans hereabouts.

Your entire post was off topic but for your knowledge of said TT, which unless you are one of the five Chosen Ones (four plus TQM), is of zero import.  
Thanks, now we have three to go.

Ok, I'm bored and I can't sleep again. How do you know there isn't an American amongst the four that aren't TQR himself? 

Incidentally, whilst I know who Ted Turner is, can you name the owner of a tv station or network outside America without recourse to google? Just curious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I’m supposed to play this game, and I’m finding out some fuckwit five person comedy troupe you call your consulting team never heard of Ted Turner??  

SirC

Who’s to say there isn’t one? You ignorant cunt. 3/5 of us did know Ted Turner. One short. That’s the rules. My rules.

And nobody said you’re supposed to play this game; it’s entirely your choice and it certainly won’t be made any better with you in it. Now get your head out of your arsehole, you fucking flag-shagging embarrassment.

TQR

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SirC

That wouldn't actually help that much Sir Creep because if only 1 of the 5 knew them then he would still be booted out.

The point of this pool (or at least my understanding of it) is that the fame bar is set very high. I actually tried to prove that Ted Turner and Alice Munro decisions on Fame were wrong following the rules but they aren't - they both succeed on the wiki and the article (rules 1 and 4) but fail on rules 2 and 3 - at that point you need 4 out of 5 people to know who they are (and they failed that test). Very harsh on both of them but the rules are well set out.

PS Try not to be such a twat. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I’m supposed to play this game

No you’re not, now fuck off

• Like 2

My tactic for the game was to pick people so obviously famous TQR would just go "Oh aye, them" rather than "hmm, how many Facebook followers?" Which sucks for old writers but thems the rules. Diana Rigg would have failed to qualify for this due to her whole nearly dying in 2017 lark. Of course she doesn't qualify now for the whole actually dying lark.:(

@The Quim Reaper welcome to the fun of deadpool hosting. :D

PS Ted Turner has had Lewy Body Dementia for at least 2 1/2 years so wouldn't count...

A 2017 review found survival from disease onset between 5.5 and 7.7 years, survival from diagnosis between 1.9 and 6.3 years, and a shorter survival time after diagnosis than in AD.

1 hour ago, msc said:

My tactic for the game was to pick people so obviously famous TQR would just go "Oh aye, them" rather than "hmm, how many Facebook followers?" Which sucks for old writers but thems the rules.

Yes, yes and yes. I deliberately made the fame rules in the hope that people would do just that, go “oh fuck checking all that, I’ll pick proper household names”. It’s simply a side effect that the rules then eliminate people like Alice Munro.

And you make a good point, Ted was a health DQ anyway, but certain chippy fuckers will overlook such minute details.

19 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Alice Munro.

Boooo!! :)

But no, it gave me the excuse to go with the person I wanted to pick on instinct anyway, Johnny Depp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Boooo!! :)

But no, it gave me the excuse to go with the person I wanted to pick on instinct anyway, Johnny Depp.

That’s the spirit!! :D Big names like Depp. Get your Depps out for the lads, people!

While I have your attention people, I erroneously typed Willie Mays in the DQ list when he wasn’t. The person who picked Mays knew all along he was allowed. *slaps own wrist*

My 5 picks for example.

1. Big name TV star of yesteryear.

2. A lister, had a reputation as being a dog but generally highly respected nowadays.

3. Never off TV when I was a kid, still writes regularly. Not a fan.

4. Massive actor, figuratively and literally.

5. One of the most famous music acts in the world. You could easily name 4 or 5 of their hits without googling.

10 minutes ago, msc said:

My 5 picks for example.

1. Big name TV star of yesteryear.

2. A lister, had a reputation as being a dog but generally highly respected nowadays.

3. Never off TV when I was a kid, still writes regularly. Not a fan.

4. Massive actor, figuratively and literally.

5. One of the most famous music acts in the world. You could easily name 4 or 5 of their hits without googling.

Even your subs were fucking quality :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1