Sign in to follow this  
The Daredevil

Who is the best official James Bond?

Who is the best official James Bond?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sean Connery’s demise got me thinking about this. In my opinion, Connery remains the all time best James Bond. 

My order of Eon official James Bonds

1. Sean Connery 

2. Roger Moore

3. Daniel Craig

4. Pierce Brosnan

5. Timothy Dalton

6. George Lazenby

• Like 1

Fuck me. This argument has raged for years (and years and years), and in fact for um, years.

No offence but,

What we really need is a poll on DL about it.

Oh wait, you did. How nice.

• Haha 3

Toast thinks that En Passant is being ironic, and he really means that we don't need a poll on it.  :)

• Haha 1

Of course we don't. The answer's Roger. B)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

Toast thinks

Ahahahahahaha, callbacks to earlier gags are always the best to those who follow along.

NIce of you to upgrade my decidedly low brow sarcasm to witty irony though, thanks.

• Like 1

It's Dalton and I really can't see any other argument with the possible exception of Connery for nostalgia's sake. The fact people are earnestly voting Craig makes me want to never sit near any of you people in a cinema.

• Like 1

I tend to regard this argument in the same way as the "best Doctor" argument; its the one you were most familiar with during your formative years, therefore the correct* answer is Moore.

*other correct answers are available.

21 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It's Dalton and I really can't see any other argument with the possible exception of Connery for nostalgia's sake. The fact people are earnestly voting Craig makes me want to never sit near any of you people in a cinema.

I am a big fan of Dalton but I always thought he tried to play Bond as a character rather than a charachature. 

Doctor Who: Tom Baker

James Bond: Roger Moore

Superstars winner: Brian Jacks

Children's TV host: Keith Chegwin

Playschool presenter: Floella Benjamin

Beauty pageant: Miss World

Generation Game host: Larry Grayson

[OK maybe the last one's a bit much]

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am a big fan of Dalton but I always thought he tried to play Bond as a character rather than a charachature. 

And this is bad because?

Arguably there's a long running arc from OHMSS to Licence to Kill, but with 4 actors. I've often thought OHMSS would have worked better with Roger Moore instead of George Lazenby, especially as the death of Tracy Bond is a recurring trauma throughout the Moore era. Dalton ends it in Licence to Kill by getting the revenge for Felix he was never able to fully achieve for himself.

1 minute ago, Youth in Asia said:

Doctor Who: Tom Baker

James Bond: Roger Moore

Superstars winner: Brian Jacks

Children's TV host: Keith Chegwin

Playschool presenter: Floella Benjamin

Beauty pageant: Miss World

Generation Game host: Larry Grayson

[OK maybe the last one's a bit much]

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee (shitloads of BBC repeats from 1990-5)

Kids TV - Tony Hart

Playdays/bus/school - Dave Benson Philips (who went on to do Get Your Own Back)

Generation Game - Bruce Forsyth*

TV personality in general: Terry Wogan

Best "doesn't fit into any of the above": Shadow off Gladiators. Watching him smash scrubs on Duel was always fun. Then he got sacked for drugs.

Showing up my early 90s TV landscape here.

*I was going to say Bob Monkhouse here, but Wiki says he never hosted it? I have strong memories of Monkhouse hosting a BBC gameshow in the early 90s but can't find evidence of it online...Around the time Jim Davidson hosted Big Break.

14 minutes ago, msc said:

*I was going to say Bob Monkhouse here, but Wiki says he never hosted it? I have strong memories of Monkhouse hosting a BBC gameshow in the early 90s but can't find evidence of it online...Around the time Jim Davidson hosted Big Break.

He hosted $64,000 Question on ITV in the early 90s. Maybe that's what your thinking of. 

Or Wipeout? It was on the BBC in the early nineties but he didn't host it until the late nineties, when Big Break was still running.

Or maybe your ageing memory is playing tricks on you :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

He hosted $64,000 Question on ITV in the early 90s. Maybe that's what your thinking of. 

Or Wipeout? It was on the BBC in the early nineties but he didn't host it until the late nineties, when Big Break was still running.

Or maybe your ageing memory is playing tricks on you :lol:

That must be it! :lol:

1 hour ago, msc said:

Bob's Full House?  Celebrity Squares?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

Bob's Full House?  Celebrity Squares?

Bob's Your Uncle? I don't remember this one, but it was broadcast in '91 & '92, and from the description is more Gen Game-y than  Full House or Squares.

Anyway, I think we can all agree he was the best host of The Golden Shot.

Wipeout seems closest but it started in 1998 which is far too late.

Although a trip through imdb brings up GagTag which I have vague memories of. UKGameshow calls it "not original and just not funny". imdb also claims Monkhouse first appeared on Noel's House Party in 1994 and we knew who he was by then. Lots of random snippets of memories of forgotten 90s gameshows in the mind, like Dermot Morgan's England v Scotland, Lose a Million (which seemed like the easiest gameshow ever tbh), Small Talk, etc.

There was one where Bob used to do an extended monologue at the start, which was easily the best bit of the show. 

I grew up with Pierce Brosnan and so I guess you could say he's "my Bond". Goldeneye is my favourite Bond movie.

I voted for Roger Moore, sorry, not sorry!