Sign in to follow this  
The Daredevil

André Maranne

Why, you ask? Well, I‘ve been researching into Maranne’s precise date of birth. If anyone’s interested I can keep you updated on what I find, now on Maranne’s own thread. 

Apart from that, Maranne will be 95 sometime next year and is famous in the UK for Pink Panther films, Fawlty Towers, Darling Lili, Doctor Who etc. He is also my favourite living actor and I think he really deserves his very own thread. Such a great actor and his mysterious date of birth may continue to prompt interesting discussion. Furthermore, Toby Hadoke said in April 2020, Maranne cannot remember being in Doctor Who. Dementia maybe?

Apologies for all this waffle, but I wanted to explain why I started a specific thread for Maranne. I felt I may have too much information on him for his related threads like the James Bond one (he only appeared in Thunderball for a few seconds by the way) which are not specifically designed just for news on Maranne and as I anticipate he’ll be on the 2021 DL, he would have his own thread soon anyway.

I have made lots of 2021 DL suggestions but I ask for Maranne over any of my other suggestions, please DeathList committee. This legend should not be a DL miss.

In future, I will try not to make new threads unless they are absolutely necessary, this one was just important to me. 

• Like 1

Amusingly (for me) I was just watching Andre 10 mins ago in Yes Prime Minister as the European Commissioner.

As he was in a bunch of stuff I loved as a kid I was quite sad to learn he died in 1992. Then delighted to learn that despite that handicap, he was still replying to fan mail in the past decade! :lol:

imo he's worthy of a DL spot (this argument is dead forever after some recent picks tbh) but unlikely to be picked!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

As he was in a bunch of stuff I loved as a kid I was quite sad to learn he died in 1992. Then delighted to learn that despite that handicap, he was still replying to fan mail in the past decade! 

I felt exactly the same way there.

4 hours ago, msc said:

Amusingly (for me) I was just watching Andre 10 mins ago in Yes Prime Minister as the European Commissioner.

As he was in a bunch of stuff I loved as a kid I was quite sad to learn he died in 1992. Then delighted to learn that despite that handicap, he was still replying to fan mail in the past decade! :lol:

So he's not  dead then? :unsure:

4 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Why, you ask?

*full stop*

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

So he's not  dead then? :unsure:

Given his current address, his current phone number, his until recent fan mail replying and that he looks after his wife are all known information, it's a tough one. He might just be alive...

Although I did like the person on another forum who said "he was alive in Brighton in 2005 but then I lost track". He's lived in the same bloody house for the better part of 60 years!

• Like 2

Post containing Maranne's phone number hidden.

We already have enough proof he's still alive; posting that kind of info is a bit too much.

• Like 2

Oh, no! I was just going to phone him tonight.

"Hello! Is it André Maranne speaking?"

"Yes, I am André Maranne"

"Are you alive?"

"I suppose"

"You sure?"

"I am"

"CoffinLodger still not conviced..."

"Tell him to fuck off"

A worthy call.

• Haha 8

I'm in the mood for some André Maranne fan fiction. Anyone?

Preferably some erotic story between him and the Pink Panther (comic version).

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if Maranne’s wife, Moira, had died recently, as I cannot find her on www.britishphonebook.com but I can find André under surnames Maranne and Maillol (birth name). Moreover, Toby Hadoke tweeted in April 2020, that André was currently caring for his wife full time.

In any case, I suspect Moira’s death would be a terrible blow for André and I still would strongly recommend having him on the 2021 DL.

According to Wikipedia, dead! Currently trying to get some confirmation on whether this is correct.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

20 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

According to Wikipedia, dead! Currently trying to get some confirmation on whether this is correct.

Death date appears to have been removed on Wiki. The silence elsewhere suggests an error?

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Death date appears to have been removed on Wiki. The silence elsewhere suggests an error?

Yeah, it’s gonna be bollocks. Nothing anywhere on the web, and just one recent mention of his name on Twitter which was just to question his baseless Wiki update.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Not necessarily.

If there is an unsourced death date on a page [ANY page – doesn't matter if they're well known or not or if it's been on there 1 minute or 1 week], if it is not supported by a reliable source then we as editors have to scrub it off. I take a lot of them off myself as soon as I see them. It doesn't mean I don't believe they're true in many cases. In fact, many are "supported" by tweets, facebook posts, forum murmurs etc. 

In this situation, you can tap the "geolocate" button on the IP of the editor and it shows they're located where Maranne has lived for decades.

Add in the fact he's done no interviews and made zero appearances since the early 1990s. The idea that his death could occur off radar for several weeks isn't the wildest idea. 

I believe it's true. If Hadoke doesn't confirm, then the England and Wales Probates may do in the next few months.

Better get an answer soon. DDP points for me at stake here. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not necessarily.

If there is an unsourced death date on a page [ANY page – doesn't matter if they're well known or not or if it's been on there 1 minute or 1 week], if it is not supported by a reliable source then we as editors have to scrub it off. I take a lot of them off myself as soon as I see them. It doesn't mean I don't believe they're true in many cases. In fact, many are "supported" by tweets, facebook posts, forum murmurs etc. 

In this situation, you can tap the "geolocate" button on the IP of the editor and it shows they're located where Maranne has lived for decades.

Add in the fact he's done no interviews and made zero appearances since the early 1990s. The idea that his death could occur off radar for several weeks isn't the wildest idea. 

I believe it's true. If Hadoke doesn't confirm, then the England and Wales Probates may do in the next few months.

Better get an answer soon. DDP points for me at stake here. :lol:

Is he not remotely notable in the Brighton area? Surely the local press at least would have mention that Hollywood actor and Brighton resident Andre Maranne has died at the age of whatever he is?

We'll wait and see I guess. But the Scavenger Hunt could have a messy end if someone else dies before we get confirmation! :lol:

• Like 1

Was said to be dead on Wikipedia again, this time by a different user, stating Maranne died on April 14th 2021. Has since been taken down. 

1 hour ago, msc said:

Dead

André Maranne obituary | Register | The Times

Alas, Ulitzers gut feeling was correct. Shame, great actor.

Knew it. Still, very sad but at least he didn't die off radar.

Could someone be really naughty and please cut and paste this obit here (or in a DM to me)?

Would love to read this without signing up for a £27 per month Times subscrip with one month free (then forgetting to cancel it in a month :rolleyes:).

Edit: Got it, cheers!

Is anyone owning up to being Oldfashionedfan36825?

• Haha 2

Given The Daredevil was a massive Andre Marianne fanboy, that might be him...

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Knew it. Still, very sad but at least he didn't die off radar.

Could someone be really naughty and please cut and paste this obit here (or in a DM to me)?

Would love to read this without signing up for a £27 per month Times subscrip with one month free (then forgetting to cancel it in a month :rolleyes:).

Here's the first bit

C&P'd from twitter.

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Given The Daredevil was a massive Andre Marianne fanboy, that might be him...

That was my thought!

44 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Was told by a friend last week who lives near the late Andre Maranne in Brighton that his wife Moira passed away earlier this year, less than a year after him. I wasn't going to write this on here in case it was incorrect but their house has just been sold on Rightmove (I think it's okay to share this) which pretty much confirms it. It's not a big shock as she had been in ill health for a long while and Andre was a carer for her, but still very sad. I had the pleasure of meeting her once and she was a lovely lady. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/122712965#/?channel=RES_BUY

Posting here for cleanliness.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Posting here for cleanliness.

Any idea how old she was? I read that she was widowed during WW2 before she met André, making her probably older than him. What year did you meet her? And did you ever get the honour to meet André?

I guess the only other reason why their house would go on the market would be because she needed to move into a care home.