ebless

22. Desmond Morris

Turning 93 in January and a worthy consideration for the 2021 list. Here's the Desmond Morris thread. 

• Like 2

For any newbies hereabouts - Desmond is the one on the left

977684122-6ce4075b-6a3e-44bc-8507-a5cda1

• Haha 1

Don't know why but I always get him mixed up with Desmond Wilcox who died 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Don't know why but I always get him mixed up with Desmond Wilcox who died 20 years ago. 

Morris had the good fortune not to be married to Esther Ratbag, that's how I differentiate them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh aye and another brainy ex-television presenter off the radar but alive and obitable is 83 year old James Burke

James_Burke_(science_historian).jpg

• Like 1

I've had him on my list, for a few years, now.

10 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Morris had the good fortune not to be married to Esther Ratbag, that's how I differentiate them.

And he got to fuck Diana Dors.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Handrejka said:

And he got to fuck Diana Dors.

Jesus!

Next thing you will be telling us is that he let Una drop a log onto his chest!!:lol:

11 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Me too, in fact when I read this yesterday I went to Wikipedia because I couldn’t remember his surname, which lead me to Rantzen’s entry, a woman of fairly low morals it appears.  

20 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

For any newbies hereabouts - Desmond is the one on the left

977684122-6ce4075b-6a3e-44bc-8507-a5cda1

Damn. Thought he was the one on the right.

He punched massively above his weight with women (see also Arthur Miller), he pissed off all the sorts of people who get pissed off easily (Bible belt politicians, humourless orthodox academics, Guardian writers), a science popularist who writes easily accessible books but doesn't dumb down as if Joe Public can't understand evolutionary theory written without flowery scientific language, played a big part in conservation of the leopard, big football fan. imo there's a lot to like about Desmond Morris, even if you think he spends too much time thinking about breasts. (Clearly a unique stance in society, that one!)

Speaking of the Guardian's corrections page in 2013:

Esther Rantzen had an affair with and went on to marry Desmond Wilcox, not Desmond Morris as a preview of the TV show Piers Morgan's Life Stories said (Watch this, 22 February, page 30, G2).

Poor sod.

49 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Me too, in fact when I read this yesterday I went to Wikipedia because I couldn’t remember his surname, which lead me to Rantzen’s entry, a woman of fairly low morals it appears.  

Just been having a read myself. Crikey, two affairs with two different men, one of which was married to her friend and continued for 8 years before the wronged wife agreed to a divorce because Rantzen was pregnant. :blink: Apparently in 2018, she was granted a Coat of Arms for some reason. Interesting choice of motto... :rolleyes:

Dame Esther Louise Rantzen, DBE, of the London Borough of Camden | Two  roses, Heraldry, Art

3 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Aye, unlike Morris who was married to the same woman for over 65 years

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, msc said:

He punched massively above his weight with women (see also Arthur Miller), he pissed off all the sorts of people who get pissed off easily (Bible belt politicians, humourless orthodox academics, Guardian writers), a science popularist who writes easily accessible books but doesn't dumb down as if Joe Public can't understand evolutionary theory written without flowery scientific language, played a big part in conservation of the leopard, big football fan. imo there's a lot to like about Desmond Morris, even if you think he spends too much time thinking about breasts. (Clearly a unique stance in society, that one!)

Why aren't Netflix or HBO making a Desmond drama series. I'd watch that.

How much is too much?

For many years while Desmond Morris was presenting Zootime, his namesake Johnny Morris (no relation) was presenting a similar programme on the only other  UK channel called Animal Magic. Only one of the presenters resorted to animal impressions.

• Like 2

I’m sure all the apes approve of this pick

Looks to be the oldest debutant this year? I guess his fate is sealed.

8 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Looks to be the oldest debutant this year? I guess his fate is sealed.

I stand by my post from the other year above - a big animal conservationist and a good science writer. Hopefully the whole oldest debut thing trend ceases for a bit.

• Like 1

I don't know much about this pick,but weirdly perfect timing for a Zoologist to be on the list when you have the Monkey NFT fad that happened.

11 hours ago, Grimgrass said:

He gave a video interview in May:

Based on this, he doesn't look to me like someone on the verge of death but you never know at his age.