Sign in to follow this  
CalebH

Ion Iliescu

Romania's President from 1989-1996 and 2000 to 2004 and one of they key figures of the Romanian Revolution.  Was to ill to go to trial for military crimes in 2016. Was allegedly healthy enough to stand trial in 2020 before Covid.

Age,90  no gurantee too far in the future. Wish him well despite some mixed actions during his career

• Like 3

Why have you started a thread on him?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Toast said:

Why have you started a thread on him?

Nearly a unique for one of my teams bar for a theme team!

Vaguely recall a story from the Romanian revolution of Ileiscu hedging his bets when Ceaucescu called on him by pretending to have an injury and wearing a fake cast! I can't find this online now but I'm sure it showed up in a BBC documentary once.

Next week, someone is going to start a thread for my 90 year old grandmother considering the things way are going aren’t they? 

• Like 2

I’m in favour of thread creation being tightened. I remember it being proposed in the past.

• Like 3

tbh crap threads die a death. There's also been a few that looked weird but the Cmme went "we'll use that one, thanks". If Iliescu is unworthy of comment, and I've used up all my knowledge in the previous post, this will fall to Page 14 before you can say "Norman Lear has his own thread?"

What's with all of these new fucking threads

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, msc said:

tbh crap threads die a death. There's also been a few that looked weird but the Cmme went "we'll use that one, thanks". If Iliescu is unworthy of comment, and I've used up all my knowledge in the previous post, this will fall to Page 14 before you can say "Norman Lear has his own thread?"

It just clutters the forum up though.  It makes it harder to find references. 

People need to be exceptionally interesting or regularly newsworthy to merit their own thread.  Just being old/ill isn't enough.  Most will fit into an existing general thread.

The opening post here would be fine in 'Ideas and Possibilities', which is where it belongs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Next week, someone is going to start a thread for my 90 year old grandmother considering the things way are going aren’t they? 

Would she get an obit?

3 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

Would she get an obit?

I shall not disclose that. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Leon Brittan said:

What's with all of these new fucking threads

Maybe if you were a more regular visitor you'd know. 

• Facepalm 1

Hospitalised yesterday "urgently" due to discomfort, his wife with him in hospital, rumored dead on facebook, but apparently has already been discharged in "relatively good condition". :banghead:

Edit: Or maybe he's been sent home to die? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arghton said:

Hospitalised yesterday "urgently" due to discomfort, his wife with him in hospital, rumored dead on facebook, but apparently has already been discharged in "relatively good condition". :banghead:

Edit: Or maybe he's been sent home to die? 

Nah.

• Like 1

https://www.romaniatv.net/ion-iliescu-are-probleme-de-sanatate-medicul-mircea-beuran-a-ajuns-de-urgenta-la-locuinta-fostului-presedinte_8036861.html

Not dead, but his conditions continue to worsen or at least not be good. 

The latest news about him dates back to September when he was taken to hospital for check-up routine without hospitalization, but yesterday a doctor was photographed bringing him various assistance and control tools. 

Apparently he needs constant health care.

• Like 2