Octopus of Odstock

Dementia afflicted footballers

37 minutes ago, En Passant said:

"Oh damn you're right. I completely forgot to give you your medal, Here you are, how silly of me."

And when I show it to you, your response is that of an 8 year old.

Done here.

I'm way past worrying about embarrassing myself, that ship sailed long ago. Can you say the same?

If it's not blatantly evident yet, I don't care. 

29 minutes ago, En Passant said:

TL:DR

Wind your neck in tiger, you make some fun points. but steady on with the insults.

I assume you're an adult. If you're this badly affected by a spazoid across the planet calling you an idiot, then the internet probably just isn't for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banana said:

If you're this badly affected by a spazoid across the planet calling you an idiot, then the internet probably just isn't for you.

Not in the slightest, beats being bored rigid  by Iain  or The Old Crem. or sometimes yw 

Go well spazoid :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Banana said:

You guys are fucking idiots

Yeah, it’s always everyone else, never you.

You sound like a hybrid of Creep and Kenny; the breathtaking arrogance of the former, the pathetic irascibility of the latter and the pigheadedness of both.

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Yeah, it’s always everyone else, never you.

You sound like a hybrid of Creep and Kenny; the breathtaking arrogance of the former, the pathetic irascibility of the latter and the pigheadedness of both.

I admit, I came off pretty harsh and I apologize. However, i still stand by that you made an incredibly ignorant statement. 

all in all, this is like the 4th thread dedicated to footballers, so why not conglomerate it with all CTE cases in sports, no?

Anybody taking bets on whether Deathsperm and Banana have the same mother?

3 hours ago, En Passant said:

Not in the slightest, beats being bored rigid  by Iain  or The Old Crem. or sometimes yw 

Only sometimes?

You have balls of steel my good man!:D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Banana said:

all in all, this is like the 4th thread dedicated to footballers, so why not conglomerate it with all CTE cases in sports, no?

Although im happy for all the relevant stuff to go into Time Added, my reasoning for separate threads is that you wouldn't lump all the music threads together. All of them are devoted to slightly different strands. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Anybody taking bets on whether Deathsperm and Banana have the same mother?

Yes please

3 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Although im happy for all the relevant stuff to go into Time Added, my reasoning for separate threads is that you wouldn't lump all the music threads together. All of them are devoted to slightly different strands. 

For what it's worth, I'd much rather have a separate thread on dementia in football, a separate thread on dementia in rugby and a separate thread on dementia in American Football than the mindless threads currently popping up about who's going to die last. Why should worthwhile threads be tarred with the same brush as some of the inanity on here?

• Like 2

I have given this some thought over a cup of tea and a biscuit (garibaldi).

I think this thread is fine and I see no reason to merge it with anything.   I'm just pleased to have the great Octopus posting regularly again, I trust his judgement and am not about to start moderating his input (unless he PMs half the forum with p0rn and calls them ****s), even then I'd probably ask him nicely not to do it again.

I don't want to sound dismissive, but the energy we expend on this forum squabbling about thread etiquette could possibly power a small town for a fortnight.  Should we not be asking ourselves how we might harness this energy in a more constructive way? 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I have given this some thought over a cup of tea and a biscuit (garibaldi).

I think this thread is fine and I see no reason to merge it with anything.   I'm just pleased to have the great Octopus posting regularly again, I trust his judgement and am not about to start moderating his input (unless he PMs half the forum with p0rn and calls them ****s), even then I'd probably ask him nicely not to do it again.

Ah bollocks, I was building myself to do that on Christmas Day to you all

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Ah bollocks, I was building myself to do that on Christmas Day to you all

Well, don't leave me out.

• Haha 1

Fun fact Chess Players have an even greater likelihood of having dementia than Football Players but Chess players are nerdy permanent virgins that no one cares about so I won't make a thread about it. Just food for thought.

37 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Fun fact Chess Players have an even greater likelihood of having dementia than Football Players but Chess players are nerdy permanent virgins that no one cares about so I won't make a thread about it. Just food for thought.

You and Banana are made for each other.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You and Banana are made for each other.

You must be a chess player

Someone posted about Ernie Moss today, which led me to Dawn Astle's twitter page.

On there, she links to any kind of dementia related news with footballers. Unfortunately most of them are deaths but in the latest, she has revealed ex Grimsby stalwart and Lib Dem councillor Dave Boylen and former Arsenal defender (and the man who ruthlessly hacked Paul Allen down in the 1980 Cup Final) Willie Young both have dementia. I've added them in along with Cropley.

Also, worth mentioning that Astle also linked to a report which says Tony Parkes' dementia is so bad now, he's been moved to a care hme. He's gone downhill a lot more rapidly then thought.

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Also, worth mentioning that Astle also linked to a report which says Tony Parkes' dementia is so bad now, he's been moved to a care home. He's gone downhill a lot more rapidly then thought.

Yep, he was living with his daughter at the start of lockdown, but she's got two very young children and his condition has deteriorated during isolation and he became too much to handle alongside the kids so she had to move him into a home. She's said he hasn't handled it very well and she can't see him in person which he doesn't understand. There was an article in the Daily Telegraph a couple of weeks ago, online behind a paywall no doubt. Very sad, legend at my club.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 22:48, ebless said:

You can add Peter Cormack of Liverpool, Hibernian and Partick Thistle 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/legendary-hibs-player-peter-cormack-speaks-out-about-his-dementia-920231

Also Davie Sneddon of Kilmarnock, Dundee, Preston and Raith Rovers 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39103570

My DDP pick for this year, Davie Sneddon, reportedly dead:

OldWillz supported the Killie - maybe that's my Christmas present from him. If a Qobit arrives soon, that's five unique hits on my main team.

• Like 1

Just now, gcreptile said:

I see it! I am pretty sure, there'll be a "real" obit, soon, too.

Live reporting pages have always been used and awarded points before  - so it's a real obit for the DDP, ha! It'll filter through to The Herald I presume and maybe the Killie page on the BBC. But it's the festive and no need to wait. :lol:

Now, is it a record for 5 unique hits on one team, @msc? Probably not, but a quarter of my team have been felled - which surprises nobody more than me!

My shameless teams had 4 uniques, twice, but that's because it was an ... untapped market....

I think 5 hits is very, very likely to be a record. I have just checked the first 5 years of the DDP (fewer players, more uniques?). Nobody had more than three.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1