Octopus of Odstock

Dementia afflicted footballers

Both count. Five unique hits pretty good going. Even if entire team unique, none of them were at deaths door on Jan 1st iirc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Both count. Five unique hits pretty good going. Even if entire team unique, none of them were at deaths door on Jan 1st iirc.

I agree. Meanwhile, Most Unique Picks 2020 not only got 0 deaths but also only ended up with 15 uniques. I know, you’re all sad for this one...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Sol Kerzner had undisclosed cancer - lucky stab in the dark.

Bobby Wilson and Davie Sneddon were both known to be ill last year.

Khrushchev and Latham - just their time I guess.

Ian Hamilton isn't gone yet but I was sure he was nailed on for this year - there's been some discussion elsewhere about him recently, but honestly he's looked like he was going to drop three years ago.

Still time to hit a six...

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Yes, I saw that. They are all just quoting the Club. For now, I have neither day nor place. In the end, they are not necessary - but I'll wait for something more specific.

Chris suttons father Mike Sutton has passed away. He played for Norwich and suffered with dementia. His twitter has announced 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

Chris suttons father Mike Sutton has passed away. He played for Norwich and suffered with dementia. His twitter has announced 

Scottish Sun obit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s 3 from OoO’s list on the front page gone in just 3 days.

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That’s 3 from OoO’s list on the front page gone in just 3 days.

Maybe now some people will realise that this list is a very useful one for DDP (or whatever death pool) purposes than just trashing the idea. 

• Like 4

2 for the price of one - both brothers., George and Hugh Ryden. There were five brothers in total - 3 played football, 2 didn't. All 3 who played football had or have dementia. The other 2 don't/didn't.

Link (lambasting, rightly, the PFA as well)

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20210105/283167201187978

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Former Northern Ireland midfielder and Workington manager Tommy Cassidy has been suffering from Alzheimer's since 2017.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/18995355.former-workington-reds-boss-tommy-cassidy-suffering-alzheimers-disease/

Amazing!!!

Not the dementia, it's amazing to see his management of Wukkie listed as second in the reasons we might know the man! 

Could also go in the World Cup thread (and the prison thread for his match fixing scandal) but Peter Swan, former England player, member of the 1962 World Cup squad, former OoO DDP pick and one of Sheffield Wednesdays best defenders has died of dementia https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-legend-and-1966-nearly-man-peter-swan-dies-aged-84-3107950

• Like 3

Perhaps worthier of a thread of his own but I'm gonna hold off on it because I don't care about him that much tbh, but there's a lot of talk on Twitter that Terry Venables is in the final stages of Alzheimer's. Googling around, I can't find him being interviewed or making any public appearance since 2017, and according to talk here he's long sold the hotel he used to run due to "ill health".

• Shocked 2

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Perhaps worthier of a thread of his own but I'm gonna hold off on it because I don't care about him that much tbh, but there's a lot of talk on Twitter that Terry Venables is in the final stages of Alzheimer's. Googling around, I can't find him being interviewed or making any public appearance since 2017, and according to talk here he's long sold the hotel he used to run due to "ill health".

Now, if that is true, it would be a real shock!

He has been notable by his absence from pretty much anything recently. It wouldn't be a surprise considering his age and the era he played in. 

• Like 1

LFN's a huge Spurs man, keep in mind. Someone on here did suggest Terry recently as a punt but I can't find it now.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 17:09, Spade_Cooley said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/14/terry-venables-seeking-cleared-bbc-inquiry-martin-bashirs-methods/

Apparently tells friends (often Journo speak for off record briefing) his response to this but of course it could be his family speaking on his behalf.

Last interview is this from April 2018. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5665959/TERRY-VENABLES-EXCLUSIVE-Mo-Salah-best-world-Messi-Ronaldo.html

Still waiting for Odstock's defence of footballers vs footballers and CTE vs dementia.  Dumb fucking thread.  
Anything is a worthier thread, @Spade_Cooley.  We had a football thread or two....apparently they were too broad in scope and this ultra-specific one was needed.  
Can't wait for the 'footballers hurt while on holiday' thread.  'Wives of footballers'.  Etc  
Maybe a few chef threads 'while baking', 'while broiling', 'while bbqing'.  Possibilities are endless.  Someone make OoO an Admin.

SC, 5 of the 30 original names have died in just over a month. People enter dead pools mostly with the intent to pick people that might die. I'd suggest a 16 per cent hit rate after one month would maybe help a few DP players think hmmm 'might be worth choosing an old footballer' and it's in one place for them to choose. 

There were far more threads started every day back in 2004 and 2005 that would've annoyed you, be thankful that you are of your time. 

• Like 8