Octopus of Odstock

Dementia afflicted footballers

On 31/03/2021 at 21:48, Octopus of Odstock said:

That's what I thought I saw. 

Talking of ex Leeds, Chris Kamara has gone in for a brain scan due to dementia concerns. Precaution, curiosity or something else? 

Underactive thyroid.

• Like 1

It's been unofficially known for a while that he's no a well man, but now they've made it official, we can unfortunately add the great Bertie Auld to the list of footballers with dementia.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 31/03/2021 at 21:00, msc said:

Yeah, they seem to have done a Faustian pact to get back in the Premier League, even signed the great Bielsa-bub as their manager. 

Mick Bates is likely the next of Revie's boys to go - the talk on Leeds fan forums is months to live.

True

Updated for the death of Muller but also a few other updates after seeing gcreptiles Davie Wilson post.

BBC coverage of Billy Sinclair's dementia fight - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56332499

Stuart Chapman - ex-Port Vale and Stafford - https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/non-league/stafford-rangers/2021/04/23/stuart-chapmans-dementia-battle-shows-need-for-help

Recent death not covered anywhere else but are other footballing dementia deaths - Mel Rooke, aged 79 - https://www.herefordtimes.com/announcements/deaths/deaths/19492223.Melvyn__Mel___ROOKE/; Dave Dunmore (ex Tottenham) - https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2021/july/obituary-dave-dunmore/; Kenny Ronaldson (ex Bristol Rovers) - https://gasheads.org/thread/9838/kenny-ronaldson-rip

It’s hard to tell what the future rate of dementia in footballers will be as there is sodebate about how much impact ball technology changing over the years have or not had on brain damage.Also s debate about the general health of footballers as even brain damage induced dementia risks levels changes depending on other health conditions - as there been as many footballers with dementia in other counties where dementia rates in Society themselves are a bit lower. 

11 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s hard to tell what the future rate of dementia in footballers will be as there is sodebate about how much impact ball technology changing over the years have or not had on brain damage.Also s debate about the general health of footballers as even brain damage induced dementia risks levels changes depending on other health conditions - as there been as many footballers with dementia in other counties where dementia rates in Society themselves are a bit lower. 

True but it does appear that those playing in the 1960s and 1970s have been disproportionately impacted by dementia and other neurological illnesses. Presumably this would have been true of many playing in earlier generations but many of those players died earlier of other conditions so this was masked to some degree. 

• Like 1

The new 10 headers a week rule is being ignored by Spurs and probably other clubs. Not a great sign. 

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The new 10 headers a week rule is being ignored by Spurs and probably other clubs. Not a great sign. 

The modern football is about as heavy as a child's balloon.

Even going back 40 years to when I played Sunday league football, when the ball got wet it was like heading concrete.

I suspect that this generation of player and future ones may not be in the same danger as their ancestors, maybe.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

The modern football is about as heavy as a child's balloon.

Even going back 40 years to when I played Sunday league football, when the ball got wet it was like heading concrete.

I suspect that this generation of player and future ones may not be in the same danger as their ancestors, maybe.

That has been disproven. It feels lighter but it’s issint

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

That has been disproven. It feels lighter but it’s issint

I initially scoffed when I read that but yes it seems to be correct

http://www.morethanmindgames.com/2010/06/26/an-enduring-football-myth-the-weight-of-the-ball/

Since 1937, the dry weight of the ball has been specified by Law 2: 14-16oz. Prior to that, the rules governing the ball’s dry weight specified something lighter – 13-15oz.

What has changed are (1) the material from which the ball is made, and thus the ability of the ball to avoid weight gain during the game through water absorption, and (2) the aerodynamics of the ball i.e. the smoothness of the surface.

The new ball isn’t lighter in of itself – which is what people seem to be assuming: but the new ball won’t get so wet in play. So in the broad sunshine of the ’66 World Cup Final, the famous orange balls were the same weight as the ones we see today. And so it has been on every dry day, on every dry pitch, since the balls were first standardized in the early 1870s.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4123437.stm

Heading a modern-day football is not significantly safer than an old-style leather ball, a study by ballistics experts has found.

Experiments conducted by scientists at the University of Glasgow showed the impact created on players' heads had a similar force.

High-speed cameras showed both balls collapsed to about half their diameter.

Ballistics engineer Alan Birkbeck said it was like being struck by 10 bags of coal for 3/100ths of a second.

Well that told me!

5 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well that told me!

It suits a lot of people to assume that. 

Football as a sport continues, cash v health. 

Live young die early and oblivious.

Why is this sport funded, At the age of 40 perhaps they should become gladiators, I am sure Sky would sponsor this.

No formal announcement afaik, but the Troops are reporting that Jimmy Millar has also died today.

Have to wait and see whether this is true, or just a Walter Smith bandwagon...

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1