Octopus of Odstock

Dementia afflicted footballers

8 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Probably Gordon Cowans. Has dementia, won the European Cup in 1982, played in the 1990's and had several games for England. 

If not him, then you're looking at one of the players from the early 1980s that had a long career into the 1990's.

He has already announced it so it wouldn’t be quite so shocking if he was suing,  But equally he does it more than any of the 1999 Man United players 

• Like 1

Would agree more likely Cowans or a Liverpool player from 84. All of the English players in the United squad from 99 have over 20 caps bar one and I'd be surprised if it's him. Wouldn't have been renowned for his heading

6 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Would agree more likely Cowans or a Liverpool player from 84. All of the English players in the United squad from 99 have over 20 caps bar one and I'd be surprised if it's him. Wouldn't have been renowned for his heading

None of the Liverpool players from 1984 fit except maybe Sammy Lee. 

You can see the  the ball is faster now a days, I expect by 2050 over half  the players playing in the PL in 2010 will have been diagnosed with dementia or such. 

I predict clearly  brain damaged football and  rugby players will be within 10 years or so getting 25-40 hits a year on the ddp the way things are going 

Also I’ve noticed quite a few of the rugby players with it said the first symptom was depression, They has been under 40 few current and retired footballers suffering from depression recently. Sadly they might be within a few years announcing a dementia diagnosis. 

In fact they are also a few current footballers whose cognitive skills seem  to have declined from the start of their career to what they are now. 

On 23/04/2023 at 23:27, The Old Crem said:

None of the Liverpool players from 1984 fit except maybe Sammy Lee. 

We can probably eliminate Sammy Lee from our enquiries 

• Like 1

Two days and two well known  footballers with children who have gone into broadcasting have died. Terry Yorath next? Or Kenny Dalglish. 

20 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

A pick for me in my Scottish footballers team, that's 4 hits and 2 of them played for Leeds which seems to be some sort of curse.

• Like 1

Too young to remember Gordon McQueen as a player or even as a manager, but his reaction to the goals against France and Italy in the ultimately fruitless Euro 2008 campaign is one of the best videos.

• Like 2

McQueen was one the goalscorers in that memorable spell at the end of the 1979 FA Cup final. United were 2-0 down to Arsenal on 86 minutes but McQueen and McIlroy scored to make it 2-2 on 88 minutes. Alan Sunderland scored the winner for the Gunners a minute later..

RIP :rip:

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Awww RIP.

He is not dead yet. But has dementia so can go on the list of suffers. It sounds like he might have a decade or more yet to live. 

33 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

He is not dead yet. But has dementia so can go on the list of suffers. It sounds like he might have a decade or more yet to live. 

Then fucking contextualise your posts rather than just copy and pasting articles. Lazy. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Then fucking contextualise your posts rather than just copy and pasting articles. Lazy. 

Sorry. 

A in-depth Twitter search has found quite a few more names (which I've updated into the refreshed list on the first page). This include:

Steve Elliott (ex-Nottingham Forest, Preston, Luton)-  https://www.facebook.com/OfficialPNEFC/videos/getting-active-with-sporting-memories/581539912416136/

Alex Stuart (ex Dundee, Dundee United left-back and then Montrose, Ayr and St. Johnstone manager) - https://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/topic/27021-alex-stuart/

Most of the players you guys are talking about are British. What about football players from other countries ? Are they as much afflicted with dementia as well ? 
In France this is not (yet ?) an issue, I’ve not heard of any former player having dementia. But of course I just know the high profile players…

53 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

A in-depth Twitter search has found quite a few more names (which I've updated into the refreshed list on the first page). This include:

Steve Elliott (ex-Nottingham Forest, Preston, Luton)-  https://www.facebook.com/OfficialPNEFC/videos/getting-active-with-sporting-memories/581539912416136/

Alex Stuart (ex Dundee, Dundee United left-back and then Montrose, Ayr and St. Johnstone manager) - https://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/topic/27021-alex-stuart/

Steve Elliott is only 64 now and hints that the current generation are likely to suffer from very high rates as well. 

8 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Most of the players you guys are talking about are British. What about football players from other countries ? Are they as much afflicted with dementia as well ? 
In France this is not (yet ?) an issue, I’ve not heard of any former player having dementia. But of course I just know the high profile players…

I think there is still that form of embarassment when revealing dementia according to a survey in the Netherlands, which has higher percentage of saying they prefer to keep it a secret compared to elsewhere in Europe.

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nederland/artikel/4856116/dementie-alzheimer-lewy-body-fred-visser-ziek-openheid