Book

The DL Prediction Game 2021

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Book, I think my score misses a zero at the end. Should be +490, instead of +49.

Please go on. There is nothing to see here.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 15:21, Book said:

I hang myself up right now! :banghead:

If it is any help. As a former organisor of this game, i know how much work counting up all the scores is. 

I was really surprised how fast you got them out with this many entries. I often took days just organising all of that (last time even weeks). Also the first couple of years didn't have nearly as many entries as now a days.

You are commiting and investing a lot of your spare time into a passion project and i think this should be pointed out and admired. Thank you for this, Book.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Vaagheid said:

If it is any help. As a former organisor of this game, i know how much work counting up all the scores is. 

I was really surprised how fast you got them out with this many entries. I often took days just organising all of that (last time even weeks). Also the first couple of years didn't have nearly as many entries as now a days.

You are commiting and investing a lot of your spare for a passion project and i think this should be pointed out and admired. Thank you for this, Book.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words @Vaagheid !

As I said, I am annoyed with myself that I have overlooked so many things, over and over again. This is really embarrassing not to explain and I'm really sorry. It's not my style at all, neither privately nor at work. In a few days I'll check the lists again - currently I have to take a break :P

Well, I'll do better next time!!!

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 13:21, Book said:

I hang myself up right now! :banghead:

Don't beat yourself up, it's a big task at short notice for anyone. As I said earlier, I was trying to vaguely calculate my own score on NYD and even that was a tricky task:

Are they on the Deathlist? No? -3 Yes? Where? +10, +5, +4, +1

Were they on last year? Nothing, Have they been on before? +2, Brand new? +3

Repeat x 50 for 24 players - that's well over 1000 individual considerations and it's not as simple as calculating a score once and then repeating it because it all depends on the positions players have put them compared to the Committee.

Tips that helped me was knowing whether people were new, returning or continuing (which can be calculated ahead of time) and I did mine on Excel, but there were no formulas, just having to consider each at a time. Oh, and my score was still wrong when I'd finished. :lol: I'd probably split it over a couple of days otherwise your eyes must go hazy pretty quickly. But thanks for running the game, it was good fun and I look forward to having a go next year. :)

• Thanks 1

Must be a right ball-ache doing it manually.

I reckon it might be possible to set up an Excel spreadsheet that would work it all out for you though. If I find myself bored during 2021, which looks increasingly possible, I might see what I can knock up for you (assuming you intend to do it again next year!)

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Must be a right ball-ache doing it manually.

I reckon it might be possible to set up an Excel spreadsheet that would work it all out for you though. If I find myself bored during 2021, which looks increasingly possible, I might see what I can knock up for you (assuming you intend to do it again next year!)

OH YES! I have to prove that it's getting better!!! :lol:

I would really appreciate this kind of help!

21 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Are they on the Deathlist? No? -3 Yes? Where? +10, +5, +4, +1

Were they on last year? Nothing, Have they been on before? +2, Brand new? +3

Repeat x 50 for 24 players - that's well over 1000 individual considerations and it's not as simple as calculating a score once and then repeating it because it all depends on the positions players have put them compared to the Committee.

Yeah, that's exactly!

And Bob Barker and Bob Dole and Bob Newhart...

Not to think of it if Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf and Tom Parker had been there in addition to Tom Moore ... :revenant:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Book said:

OH YES! I have to prove that it's getting better!!! :lol:

I would really appreciate this kind of help!

Yeah, that's exactly!

And Bob Barker and Bob Dole and Bob Newhart...

Not to think of it if Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf and Tom Parker had been there in addition to Tom Moore ... :revenant:

:lol:

Well most of us put a Captain in front of Tom Moore, what more do you want?! Sheesh! :facepalm::lol:

• Haha 1

Most of us thought that the Committee would include Larry King, but we were wrong. 

Whatever, points for 14:22, Annami, Book, Buffalo Phil, CaptainChorizo, chilean way, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, Prophet, RoverAndOut, Steve, The Daredevil, The Old Crem, theoldlady, The Quim Reaper, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid and WEP.

If I had missed a hit between Michael McKevitt and Larry King, please tell me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cicely Tyson is the first hit for Elephant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hal Holbrook died the same day as Larry King did, so maybe that's why his death is reported lately.

Whatever, 3 of you got him: Etushispushingupdaisies, The Daredevil and theoldlady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain Sir Tom Moore, points for (nearly) everyone: 14:22, Book, Buffalo Phil, chilean way, Elephant, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, msc, RoverAndOut, Steve, The Daredevil, The Old Crem, The Quim Reaper, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid and WEP and even the Committee.

Oh, I missed Joeys hit with Sylvain Sylvain! Added it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 more hit for 2 smart E's: Elephant and Etushispushingupdaisies had Christopher Plummer!

• Like 1

I didn’t participate in this DP.

4th hit for theoldlady because of Susan Bayhs passing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Knock Out for Leon Spinks by 22 out of 24 players: 14:22, Annami, Bibliogryphon, Book, Buffalo Phil, CaptainChorizo, chilean way, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile, Joey Russ, msc, Prophet, RoverAndOut, Steve, The Daredevil, The Old Crem, theoldlady, The Quim Reaper, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid and WEP and he is also the second hit of the DL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

George P. Shultz is not only another hit for Elephant, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile and the Committee, but also the 10th hit for the DL Prediction Game. Last year the 10th hit was on February, 5th as Kirk Douglas died.

Please tell me if I missed a hit, especially one of the lesser known or more obscure picks...

This is the actual scoreboard:

5: Etushispushingupdaisies: Hal Holbrook, Captain Tom Moore, Christopher Plummer, Leon Spinks, George P. Shultz,

5: theoldlady: Michael McKevitt, Larry King, Hal Holbrook, Susan Bayh, Leon Spinks,

4: Elephant: Cicely Tyson, Captain Tom Moore, Christopher Plummer, George P. Shultz,

4: gcreptile: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks, George P. Shultz,

4: The Daredevil: Larry King, Hal Holbrook, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: 14:22: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: Book: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: Buffalo Phil: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: chilean way: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: DL Committee: Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks, George P. Shultz,

3: Joey Russ: Sylvain Sylvain, Larry King, Leon Spinks,

3: RoverAndOut: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: Steve: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: The Old Crem: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: The Quim Reaper: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: ThereWillBeDeaths7: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: TomTomTelekom: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: Vaagheid: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

3: WEP: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

2: Annami: Larry King, Leon Spinks,

2: CaptainChorizo: Larry King, Leon Spinks,

2: Great Uncle Bulgaria: Larry King, Captain Tom Moore,

2: msc: Captain Tom Moore, Leon Spinks,

2: Prophet: Larry King, Leon Spinks,

1: Bibliogryphon: Leon Spinks,

• Like 3

Didn't read the signs about Schultz's inclusion on the list. D'oh! Still, 3 already isn't a bad effort for me, or the Committee.

Next goal for Book, gcreptile, Prophet and The Quim Reaper because of Dai Davies' passing.

• Like 1

We (=14:22, Annami, Book, Buffalo Phil, CaptainChorizo, chilean way, Joey Russ, Prophet, Steve, The Daredevil, The Old Crem, The Quim Reaper, ThereWillBeDeaths7 and WEP ) thought, that Carlos Menem would be included on the DL, but unfortunately he wasn't. No points for the DL, side kick points for us.

• Like 2

Rush Rush... the points points... for 14:22, Annami, Book, Buffalo Phil, CaptainChorizo, chilean way, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile, Joey Russ, msc, Prophet, RoverAndOut, Steve, The Daredevil, The Old Crem, theoldlady, The Quim Reaper, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid, WEP and even the DL Committee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lawrence Ferlinghetti was picked by Joey Russ, theoldlady and The Quim Reaper!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hat-trick for Ian St. John because of gcreptile, RoverAndOut and WEP!

• Like 1

I kind of thought he might/should have been picked this year. There was an ominous silence. But then, I hardly committed to that thought anywhere myself.

• Like 1

Both fairly ill, they were always bringing Greavesie back, and I suspected it was their kind of humour to have his old mate the Saint back too. Evidently not, still another one for me! :rolleyes:

Trevor Peacock wasn't chosen by the Committee, but Bibliogryphon, CaptainChorizo, Prophet, Steve, The Daredevil, The Quim Reaper and WEP thought they would do.

• Like 1