msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

@msc Hi and many thanks  to you and the team for your efforts. 

I have what I think  is a likely utterly  brilliant  unique pick that I think will qualify under your rules but I am not sure.

Would it be ok to message you it so I can keep the name under wraps and hopefully preserve its unique status  if you give it the nod please?

I had already  decided to try and increase my unique pick quota  this year or canny picks and esoteric as you would  describe them! So the increase in points for uniques is music to my ears!

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@msc Hi and many thanks  to you and the team for your efforts. 

I have what I think  is a likely utterly  brilliant  unique pick that I think will qualify under your rules but I am not sure.

Would it be ok to message you it so I can keep the name under wraps and hopefully preserve its unique status  if you give it the nod please?

I had already  decided to try and increase my unique pick quota  this year or canny picks and esoteric as you would  describe them! So the increase in points for uniques is music to my ears!

I mean if its a name for one of the Crumble teams I'm about 90% sure they'll be OK  but sure.

(Also, slightly worried this is the last unnamed person on my shortlist! :D)

PS Obviously I have no say in anyone else picking the name of course.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

I mean if its a name for one of the Crumble teams I'm about 90% sure they'll be OK  but sure.

(Also, slightly worried this is the last unnamed person on my shortlist! :D)

PS Obviously I have no say in anyone else picking the name of course.

I doubt  I have stolen one of your unique picks don't worry!:lol: Our esoteriesoteric  and canny mindset seems to gravitate in slightly  different directions toward slimming different people!

Thanks 

11 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I doubt  I have stolen one of your unique picks don't worry!:lol: Our esoteriesoteric  and canny mindset seems to gravitate in slightly  different directions toward slimming different people!

Thanks 

You know the WWE were banned from an arena a church ran in 1998 because they got told not to swear, and Mick Foley - the only person not warned about this - swore.

My last post feels a bit like not warning Mick Foley about swearing right about now!

It wasn't however that one name, so phew!

• Haha 1

I thought of a possible loophole (this isn't based on anything in particular, so it's not a clue as to who I'm picking in 2021). If a sportsman dies, their death isn't reported anywhere, but a "Mr X Memorial Cup" is arranged and that is reported about in a QO source, would that count as a QO? You can't really have a "Memorial" if you're still alive....

18 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I thought of a possible loophole (this isn't based on anything in particular, so it's not a clue as to who I'm picking in 2021). If a sportsman dies, their death isn't reported anywhere, but a "Mr X Memorial Cup" is arranged and that is reported about in a QO source, would that count as a QO? You can't really have a "Memorial" if you're still alive....

Sounds like the hole that magician found himself down in 2016?

Ah but the issue there was, if I remember, the Daily Mail mentioned a "tribute" rather than a "memorial", right?

8 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Ah but the issue there was, if I remember, the Daily Mail mentioned a "tribute" rather than a "memorial", right?

A dedication, looking it up.

Although this is a bit circular as I can't imagine a reference to a Memorial Cup without a line about how "(name on cup) was a footballer who played for (team) and died in January 2021....etc etc"

There are hundreds of nobodies who are commemorated by memorial trophies at their local golf club, vegetable show, etc, so I feel this is rather thin ice.

What's the latest you'll accept a team? Probably email my around 29th 

5 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

What's the latest you'll accept a team? Probably email my around 29th 

midnight UK time, 31st December.

There has been some Jan 1st leniency in the past from various previous hosts but if Grim and Rep are hard on the technology side by then, I am very much the bad cop when it comes to "oops I left it down the back of the sofa" excuses!

• Like 1

Is there any chance that going into a new year we can enforce a well overdue ban on teams picking notable only for dying/cancer mums and teens?

I've raised this before, and I know there are quite a number of other players who would like to see an end of it once and for all.

The DDP is just becoming full of pages and pages of non-notables with "@" substituted for the vowels because we know fine well that it's so vile and wouldn't want grieving relatives stumbling upon it, and yet we continue to allow these entries.

Also, it removes all the fun of deadpooling. They're supposed to be noted individuals – a criteria of some degree limits the scope somewhat and makes it far more entertaining, so people can't just pick randoms who will in turn get passing notices in births, deaths and marriages columns.

On 01/12/2020 at 06:12, msc said:

1817608_2d35d812.jpg

Welcome to Derby, where you'll never leave...

Somehow its December, which means it is now time to start drawing up your teams for the 26th edition of one of the oldest running deadpools in the world. That's right, the Derby Dead Pool, or DDP as its also known. As with 2020, the 2021 DDP will be co-hosted by the team of msc, @Grim Up North and @gcreptile.

The emails are going out (apologies again for any gremlins), and so its only now to say the DDP is open for entries!

RULES

For the hard of reading, a reminder of the four rule changes

1. DONT PICK FFBI PEOPLE. Those who ignore this will be mocked mercilessly.

2. UNIQUE PICKS are now worth 4 points instead of the old 3, to reward those who score with knowledge or punts on notables everyone else ignores.

3. THEME TEAMS need to be a theme team ie they cant be "all men" or "all DDP survivors from last years top ten".  Esoteric is OK, taking the piss is not.

4. QUALIFYING OBITS - All from 2020 plus Last Word, Daily Record, Scottish and Sunday papers, STV, UTV, Economist, UK Yahoo, Radio Times, Economist, City AM and The Independent.

Otherwise, good luck one and all!

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Is there any chance that going into a new year we can enforce a well overdue ban on teams picking notable only for dying/cancer mums and teens?

I've raised this before, and I know there are quite a number of other players who would like to see an end of it once and for all.

The DDP is just becoming full of pages and pages of non-notables with "@" substituted for the vowels because we know fine well that it's so vile and wouldn't want grieving relatives stumbling upon it, and yet we continue to allow these entries.

Also, it removes all the fun of deadpooling. They're supposed to be noted individuals – a criteria of some degree limits the scope somewhat and makes it far more entertaining, so people can't just pick randoms who will in turn get passing notices in births, deaths and marriages columns.

Above post might answer your question 

EDIT: wait, are you calling on banning teams who picked them in the past? Cause if that’s the case definitely not a good idea 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

As mentioned previously, those picks are BANNED as of 1/1/2021.

Because I fucking hated them and all, and now I (and Grim/Reptile) had the power to ban them.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I totally missed this in the body of your post @msc.

It's the correct decision.

Alright, I haven't entered since 2017 but I'm going to give this a go next year then.

• Like 3

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Thanks guys. I totally missed this in the body of your post @msc.

It's the correct decision.

Alright, I haven't entered since 2017 but I'm going to give this a go next year then.

There wasn't enough time last Christmas with us learning a system by scratch to change anything but it was top of the agenda for 2021. At the moment it cuts out the Mirror sob stories types (basically the names who would get @ in their name) but it will no doubt be tweaked as actually putting it into practice stress tests any gaps! (However by that point it'll be a matter for my successor, as I plan to find one for 2022 in the first half of 2021)

• Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 16:59, msc said:

Its a facetious reference to Varadkar. :D

In short it means if your campaigning has become so renowned you are referred to worldwide - Phelan for example was on CNN in 2018. But folk like that are incredible rare. I suppose a 2021 example is Ady Barkan who has noterity internationally now for his campaigning (aided by Biden support). Whereas Stand up 2 Cancer campaigner Cameron Patel was only really known around Leicester. And is dead, which is another bad reason to pick them.

Not wanting to take this thread completely off topic, but I don't think that Vicky Phelan had much, if any, influence on the fall of the Varadkar government. Or indeed that his Government was "toppled" in the conventional sense of the word. It was a minority Government propped up by Independents and the support of their bitter rivals, which was supposed to last 4 years and which finished up about 2 months shy of that. in reality the Government had run out of steam some months previously, and it was only a matter of time before a General Election was going to be called. But Vicky Phelan and the Cervical Check scandal (which happened 18 months previously) had little or no effect on that. 

My teams have been sent to Grim.

In before they all die in the next 4 weeks. :lol:

13 minutes ago, WEP said:

Does the rule not to accept "people famous for being ill" include "people, who have recovered from an illness"?

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/thumbs-up-croatian-woman-beats-covid-19-aged-99

This would kill my plans of a theme team of CoVid19-survivors.

That woman doesn't look like she qualifies - unless Croatian longevity is worryingly low! - but I'm pretty sure a theme team of Covid survivors is easily possible with names that would be fine anyhow. Michael Rosen for example.

27 minutes ago, WEP said:

Does the rule not to accept "people famous for being ill" include "people, who have recovered from an illness"?

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/thumbs-up-croatian-woman-beats-covid-19-aged-99

This would kill my plans of a theme team of CoVid19-survivors.

You do realise that they need to get a British obit in order to score points?

What would be the point in playing her? The Guardian are not going to run an article about a 99 year old Croatian woman who once beat COVID but has now died anyway, because IT'S NOT NEWS!

If you’re looking for survivors of Covid theme team, I can tell you there’s lots of folk from the Amy Coney Barrett event that survived their bouts of Covid...

11 minutes ago, WEP said:

Hmhm, I for one would lean towards a no? She came into public view with her Covid-infection in July. Basically famous for being ill. The "interesting life" might be something every centenarian veteran has had.

But the committee could make a decision when it counts if you want to...