msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

I wont be submitting my entry just yet - I've three or four picks who may not make it to the end of the month (or even week!). I don't want to go through the palaver of assigning extra reserves, so I'll wait to see what happens to them.

No doubt I'll submit my list in two weeks time, only for one of them to peg it on the 31st!

3 minutes ago, JQW said:

I wont be submitting my entry just yet - I've three or four picks who may not make it to the end of the month (or even week!). I don't want to go through the palaver of assigning extra reserves, so I'll wait to see what happens to them.

No doubt I'll submit my list in two weeks time, only for one of them to peg it on the 31st!

Last year there were zero cases of teams entering before Christmas with 3 subs that ran out of subs due to deaths between entering and 31st.

There were however a number of teams who entered on 31st who didn't bother with subs who ended up with only 19 or 18 picks due to duplicates, already dead picks or someone dying around year end.

Moral of the story - you should go to the palaver of having reserves.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, En Passant said:

My shortlist is unannoyed as I haven't got around to one yet, but am trying to find the time to enter for the first time ever, so there will be 'a' list in a bit.

I am *annoyed however that you have followed Sir Cunto's lead in referring to yourself in the third person, please desist immediately.

*No I'm not, I'm just posting this for a giggle.

tbh I was meaning blame me, not Grim or Reptile.

But being a contrarian, I might just do that to ann...nah, can't be arsed.

54 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Last year there were zero cases of teams entering before Christmas with 3 subs that ran out of subs due to deaths between entering and 31st.

Well, as least three of my picks were in hospital as of yesterday, and another has been moved to a hospice.

About a decade ago I had an idea for a theme team but decided not to enter it. A few times since I have considered it but not found room for them. This year I lost a few big hitters for it, so the most msc ever theme team (an actual theme team, not a bit of meta-pretentiousness) is submitted for 2021 at long last. Includes an A list name me and Grim are both shocked has never been picked for the DDP before!

• Like 1

Submitted both my theme teams - once again the space and Jeopardy ones - via the Excel forms. 39 out of 40 names were picked this DDP so I also made sure to double check their precise spellings in the 2020 pages (IE "(footballer) Pelé" - spoiler alert for a twentieth of my Jeopardy theme, there!).

It will be the last time I submit the Jeopardy theme, given the crux of it was Trebek's illness, and I dropped the question mark from "Trebek's Final Jeopardy Season?" given the nature changed from speculative to conclusive. After his death I thought of scrapping the 2021 team then and there, but he recorded enough episodes this season for me to build a decent send-off team out of. I will miss the theme though, the limited pool of names you could choose from vastly changing each year made for a fun handicap. Only 5 of my survivors were eligible to be picked again, though 4 of the debutants were also on my previous longlist.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

(footballer) Pelé

yeah some of them are laughably hard to get right in a basic submission. Fortunately I’m finding this year that I can recall the majority of popular ones like this so the process is less painful.

(singer/actress) Cher. 

is another unnecessarily complex one that no one is going to get right.

i think we can probably tidy some of these up but I’m not sure how all the historic data would be affected so it’s probably something for me and @gcreptile to look at in the new year.

cheers

• Like 1

I need to know in advance if the admin(s) are accepting a team of 20 otherwise popular DL names, all male (which comprise 80% of names on DL), as a ‘theme’ team. 

20 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

I need to know in advance if the admin(s) are accepting a team of 20 otherwise popular DL names, all male (which comprise 80% of names on DL), as a ‘theme’ team. 

On 01/12/2020 at 12:12, msc said:

3. THEME TEAMS need to be a theme team ie they cant be "all men" or "all DDP survivors from last years top ten".  Esoteric is OK, taking the piss is not.

• Thanks 1

Aye, what that charming and witty chap quoted above said. B)

• Like 1

As DDP Admin dept shuts down for Christmas have some stats.

159 teams in up to now (132 last year to end of 23/12) - that's up 20%. Only actually 21 new teams though so this is either earlier entries or returnees so bored that they've returned to the DDP. 

So last year about 370 more teams entered after 23rd - we'll see what happens this year.

388 new celebrity picks (394 to same date last year). About 790 for all the teams last year so disproportionately high new picks in early entries due to more theme teams and the more serious teams have more commonality of picks (thank goodness!).

So have as good a Christmas as you all can - I'm going to enjoy it for what it is, something a bit different to every other year.

AND REMEMBER IF YOU WANT ME TO HAVE A GOOD NEW YEAR USE THE SPREADSHEET - IT IS SOO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT FOR ME - THANKS

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'll submit my teams after Christmas.

On 23/12/2020 at 15:27, Grim Up North said:

159 teams in up to now (132 last year to end of 23/12) - that's up 20%. Only actually 21 new teams though so this is either earlier entries or returnees so bored that they've returned to the DDP. 

So last year about 370 more teams entered after 23rd - we'll see what happens this year.

388 new celebrity picks (394 to same date last year). About 790 for all the teams last year so disproportionately high new picks in early entries due to more theme teams and the more serious teams have more commonality of picks (thank goodness!).

So have as good a Christmas as you all can - I'm going to enjoy it for what it is, something a bit different to every other year.

AND REMEMBER IF YOU WANT ME TO HAVE A GOOD NEW YEAR USE THE SPREADSHEET - IT IS SOO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT FOR ME - THANKS

Ok, I have names!

Can some kind person send me a spread sheet so I can put names on it?

I have a list of fucking WINNAHS here.:D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Ok, I have names!

Link to spreadsheet on the DDP website entry page. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Ok, I have names!

:o

I need to get my arse into gear.

• Haha 1

On 23/12/2020 at 15:27, Grim Up North said:

Want me to re-enter with the spreadsheet?

4 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

Want me to re-enter with the spreadsheet?

Only if you entered after 10am this morning - all entries up to that point are fully logged.

Just now, Grim Up North said:

Only if you entered after 10am this morning - all entries up to that point are fully logged.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. My entry's 24 days old so I'm good.

4 hours ago, msc said:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/derby-dead-pool-2020-entries-now-open/

Download link to the spreadsheet at top of page above. If you fill it in, email it to ddp@derbydeadpool.co.uk.

Good luck.

That spreadsheet only downloads in French, probably this shit laptop im having to use because I broke the screen of my other.

My moby won't open the spreadsheet either.

I will keep trying.

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

That spreadsheet only downloads in French, probably this shit laptop im having to use because I broke the screen of my other.

My moby won't open the spreadsheet either.

I will keep trying.

I've no idea where the French comes from!

If it fails, just send twenty names (and 3 subs) to the email address (And remember a team name). It's not a dealbreaker, just a time saver.

• Thanks 1

Bloody hell - John Edrich has gone a week early as far as I'm concerned!

None of those four picks I thought wouldn't last have yet died, although one of them is barely clinging on at the moment and I still feel that they might not make it. However another one of my picks did pop their clogs earlier this week - I'd even got as far as filling in the spreadsheet with their name, and was considering sending it off, when news emerged. 

On 21/12/2020 at 22:25, Toast said:

I get that.

(But see YW’s theme team including 2020).  Announcing a rule and putting it into practice are two different things.  I also note that whereas you can see quite plainly the correct answer, those making the decisions on this matter are mute.  I guess we will let the plain language of the written rule win the day and see what happens.

I'm befuddled.

Firstly, Willzs theme teams are TOTP acts from a specific year, and UK TV comics, so quite narrow reference theme teams. Are you confusing him with someone else?

Secondly, I have not been mute on the matter. I'm referenced in the quoted post. How much plainer can I put that teams which used to be accepted as theme teams but were Diana Rots type teams or just 20 men/women with no connecting theme are now out. People who come from Detroit? Fine. People who went on I'm a Celeb? Fine. People who were on Reptile or DI's winning DDP team the year before? Not a theme team. Gris Gris? Fine. Gray Panthers? Fine. All About The Men? No longer competing in the theme team league.

Apart from the obvious, one team that has been vetoed as no longer being a theme team is the bizarre Death is International, and one that got a reprieve is The Survivors, as the last survivors of specific things (ie Carl Palmer, Barry Gibb, the last surviving Mama and Papa, etc) is a theme.

tbf after some of the grumbling earlier in the year, my vote was to get rid of the theme team league entirely, so you can thank Reptile and Grim for out voting that and arguing succinctly and suffiently for reform.

Also, the forum wiped this post first time round instead of posted it, so it can stuff its fucking autosave fail up its fucking arse.

• Like 5