msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

Someone questioning my theme teams?

Because they have a theme, like msc said? Actually quite clearly defined themes, I'd have thought, for anyone prepared to read.

Lawdy. Nurse, the screens!

Do you mean 12 Lords a Leaping? (Of course I can't be the only to notice it's currently 7 lord, 8 ladies...)

Because that's never been treated as a theme team. (Hence the lack of THEME next to the name). Willz just likes to apply parlour game criteria to his main team. Now you could argue it's more of a theme team than some of the teams accepted as some in the past but again, hard criteria allowed.

Technically it might even ban some of my "cheeky bugger" former theme teams (see they wont get obits...) but my "bung them on the DDP" team is pretty specifically not a theme team either.

• Like 2

Just now, msc said:

Do you mean 12 Lords a Leaping? (Of course I can't be the only to notice it's currently 7 lord, 8 ladies...)

Because that's never been treated as a theme team. (Hence the lack of THEME next to the name). Willz just likes to apply parlour game criteria to his main team. Now you could argue it's more of a theme team than some of the teams accepted as some in the past but again, hard criteria allowed.

Technically it might even ban some of my "cheeky bugger" former theme teams (see they wont get obits...) but my "bung them on the DDP" team is pretty specifically not a theme team either.

Yeah, that's my general team. I'm allowed any mix of themed teams and general teams. I chose from the start one general (non-theme) team and two themed teams.

I'm good with Lords leaving, I struggle with Ladies Dying, msc. I remember being astonished I had predicted Aretha Franklin's death on my team! But that's the road I'm travelling. Inspired by one of Biblio's suggestions on the Failed DDP Team Names thread, actually. As you say, not a theme team. Hence why it's more successful! :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, that's my general team. I'm allowed any mix of themed teams and general teams. I chose from the start one general (non-theme) team and two themed teams.

I'm good with Lords leaving, I struggle with Ladies Dying, msc. I remember being astonished I had predicted Aretha Franklin's death on my team! But that's the road I'm travelling. Inspired by one of Biblio's suggestions on the Failed DDP Team Names thread, actually. As you say, not a theme team. Hence why it's more successful! :lol:

I like your theme teams, the Top of the Pops one is always a highlight.

Although the 36 years ago concept is catching up with my birth date at a speed which is frankly unnerving!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pan Breed has been officially entered into the DDP for the 10th year in a row. Where did the time go?

Willz has a copy of my main team if he has trouble with insomnia (it's very dull), so as to ward off those annual "you stole my unique attempt mentioned 17 times on the forum" people. So you can now tell me all about your off-radar picks to your hearts content as I can't steal them even if I wanted and I have a Death by Numbers team to fill up. :D

1 minute ago, msc said:

Pan Breed has been officially entered into the DDP for the 10th year in a row. Where did the time go?

Willz has a copy of my main team if he has trouble with insomnia (it's very dull), so as to ward off those annual "you stole my unique attempt mentioned 17 times on the forum" people. So you can now tell me all about your off-radar picks to your hearts content as I can't steal them even if I wanted and I have a Death by Numbers team to fill up. :D

Oh good, I can talk about my off radar picks Lee Evans and Rick Davies without msc stealing them now...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Oh good, I can talk about my off radar picks Lee Evans and Rick Davies without msc stealing them now...

ngl this is Scott Thorsons year for the Drop 40...

Submitted my entry at least. Had to make several more changes over the past few days, dropping one good pick until next year.

On 01/12/2020 at 12:12, msc said:

1817608_2d35d812.jpg

Welcome to Derby, where you'll never leave...

Somehow its December, which means it is now time to start drawing up your teams for the 26th edition of one of the oldest running deadpools in the world. That's right, the Derby Dead Pool, or DDP as its also known. As with 2020, the 2021 DDP will be co-hosted by the team of msc, @Grim Up North and @gcreptile.

The emails are going out (apologies again for any gremlins), and so its only now to say the DDP is open for entries!

RULES

For the hard of reading, a reminder of the four rule changes

1. DONT PICK FFBI PEOPLE. Those who ignore this will be mocked mercilessly.

Do relatives (dad, mum, etc) of legit famous people fall into FFBI territory?  Asking for Kenny.

1 minute ago, Sir Cunto said:

Do relatives (dad, mum, etc) of legit famous people fall into FFBI territory?  Asking for Kenny.

Only if they have some fame (or infamy!) of their own. If you are asking about Maria's Mum, she was in that godawful sounding reality TV show so is sadly an OK pick.

Whereas no one had heard of Carol McGiffin's sister before she became terminally ill. Hell, not sure anyone had heard of Carol McGiffin either tbh...

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Only if they have some fame (or infamy!) of their own. If you are asking about Maria's Mum, she was in that godawful sounding reality TV show so is sadly an OK pick.

Whereas no one had heard of Carol McGiffin's sister before she became terminally ill. Hell, not sure anyone had heard of Carol McGiffin either tbh...

I care not about Maria’s mum.  Charlotte Church’s dad and Taylor Swift’s mum otoh...

Unironically those two stars may be the same person.

9 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

I care not about Maria’s mum.  Charlotte Church’s dad and Taylor Swift’s mum otoh...

Unironically those two stars may be the same person.

1. Are they notable for anything other than being ill, at least at a local level? GOOD TO GO.

2. If not, they mostly notable for being ill? GO TO QUESTION 4

3. Are they  not notable at all? REJECT

4. Have they achieved anything of note in spite of their illness? (ie did they raise shitloads for charity ala Jane Tomlinson, or now work for the BBC ala Deborah James, or got an OBE for their work ala Kate Granger). OK FOR NOW

5. Have they failed Questions 1, 3 and or 4, and thus aren’t in the slightest bit famous, even in some godforsaken heap like Detroit or Glasgow? REJECT

6. Are they known solely for articles in The Mirror or the Sun or what not saying “Terminally ill young mother faces final Christmas” or words to that extent? GONNAE NO DO THAT.

This is what I'll use to chuck picks out or not.  Also if your pick has an imdb with credts or new stories about them going back 2 decades they'll probably slip through because I'm focused on axing category 6 above. I believe that answers your question.

• Thanks 1

Other types of picks that don't get by:

Cancer mums 

People dying who got married

Tragic young people dying

People who are dying and got their last wish granted

People who are dying and have raised less than a million for charity

People who are dying and raining a lot of money for their own treatment but are without fame for any other reason

On 21/12/2020 at 22:03, Sir Cunto said:

I need to know in advance if the admin(s) are accepting a team of 20 otherwise popular DL names, all male (which comprise 80% of names on DL), as a ‘theme’ team. 

Ok question 2: Are you allowing ‘The British Isles’ as a ‘theme’ team - you know, the entire reason for this site?  I am limping such a ‘theme’ in with the all-male team question above.

As for @Toast‘a reply, as I said I can see the rule but when it’s put into practice THIS is what we get:(see photo) Two teams that aren’t a theme at all, just watered down actual DDP entries.  This is why they would be two of the top 3 or 4 teams every year. 
SCunto

A7268E58-8DF3-48C9-B499-19ED9A1FC3E0.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Cunto said:

Ok question 2: Are you allowing ‘The British Isles’ as a ‘theme’ team - you know, the entire reason for this site?  I am limping such a ‘theme’ in with the all-male team question above.

As for @Toast‘a reply, as I said I can see the rule but when it’s put into practice THIS is what we get:(see photo) Two teams that aren’t a theme at all, just watered down actual DDP entries.  This is why they would be two of the top 3 or 4 teams every year. 
SCunto

If it's any consolation to you, I'm retiring this theme in 2021. Theme Teams are generally quite useless. 

3 hours ago, Sir Cunto said:

SCunto

That's quite a useful skill seeing as the rule only comes into force in 4 days time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have submitted my three teams, no theme teams, same setup as this year.

It was a bit of a strange process this year, in that my heavy research these past couple of days didn't really yield much new.

It could also be a warped perception, because without traveling for Christmas and such, I had more time to google stuff, I guess.

Anyway, the other side of the coin is that I am fairly happy with my team - it was fairly stable even with all that research, so that should bode well - if my instincts don't betray me. 

I might have the burden of having to defend a title upon me, now that I am fairly certain that no christmas bonuses are left to give. I will be happy if I can field a strong defence at least. An actual defence of the title is just so unlikely, with such a strong field.

• Like 2

Does a youtuber meet the fame criteria, and if so, what is the minimum number of subscribers or views needed to become famous enough? For example I have 35 subscribers (no idea why they subscribed) and therefore not famous in the slightest. DanTDM who my kids watch all the time, and is only famous on youtube, has several million subs therefore to my kids is as famous as Cheggers was to me as a kid. But what about someone with 100k subs, or 1m subs or 10k subs? Many popular youtubers would probably get a mention when dying, even if they'd be unknown to most of us.

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Does a youtuber meet the fame criteria, and if so, what is the minimum number of subscribers or views needed to become famous enough? For example I have 35 subscribers (no idea why they subscribed) and therefore not famous in the slightest. DanTDM who my kids watch all the time, and is only famous on youtube, has several million subs therefore to my kids is as famous as Cheggers was to me as a kid. But what about someone with 100k subs, or 1m subs or 10k subs? Many popular youtubers would probably get a mention when dying, even if they'd be unknown to most of us.

You can just say you want to pick Grace Victory.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Here is my view on the matter - fuck knows!

Look, I get that "new media" is the way of the 21st Century and reality TV or YouTube seems to be a route in actual celebrity now (Scarlett Moffat) or produces people who trend on Twitter (Total Biscuit). I'm out of touch but not a complete Luddite. And if lockdown has shown anything its that there's some really good budding amateur documentary makers putting together small entertaining pieces on YouTube and gaining shitloads of followers.  But if we're going by subscribers - because the hell do I know where the "properly known" line is. (For the record, I find Calvin Dysons James Bond pieces quite rivetting but he only was 33k subscribers, whereas some shit about makeup has millions - as I said, out of touch.)

One pick - you all know who she is - has over 2 million subscribers. I'm not keen on her as  a pick, but at that level of youth reknown I couldn't say they were unknown - even if unknown to me.

But where is the limit?

I'm going to draw an arbritary line at half a million subscribers on their internet channel - be it youtube, twitch, instagram or whatever the fuck folk use nowadays. Half a million seems like a good number.

Difficult, as I would be inclined to say no because I don't rate insipid little fame whores who bid "welcome to my channel" to let you watch something trivial like them dyeing their hair pink.

On the other hand there are people like Dr John Campbell.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Toast said:

Difficult, as I would be inclined to say no because I don't rate insipid little fame whores who bid "welcome to my channel" to let you watch something trivial like them dyeing their hair pink.

On the other hand there are people like Dr John Campbell.

Something tells me you won't  be rushing to subscribe to Harry and Meghans new podcast....

Incase you have forgotten who they are they are the publicity shy  couple who still want to be royal but not work at it and craved normality and privacy so much they went to live in the media capital of the world Hollywood and signed big deals of the back of name recognition  with Netflix and Spotify.....Remember them now?!:P;)

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Something tells me you won't  be rushing to subscribe to Harry and Meghans new podcast....

Incase you have forgotten who they are they are the publicity shy  couple who still want to be royal but not work at it and craved normality and privacy so much they went to live in the media capital of the world Hollywood and signed big deals of the back of name recognition  with Netflix and Spotify.....Remember them now?!:P;)

make-it-look-like-an-accident-007.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of, FAO Charles de Gaulle.

Could the Kid please send in some subs for his DDP team as one of his YouTube picks fails that half a million subscribers test.