msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

By the way, the comments above hopefully demonstrate the huge amount of respect our previous one-man-showrunners deserve. 

Yes it can't be any fun doing it one-handed....;)

Then there is the inevitable *shit, one of my picks died, I need a sub* moments all while tabulating the teams.

I have said before, awesome job, I only know TMIB, Spade and now the current Committee have done a spectacular job and accept sorting out issues with immense good humour and grace.

Once the big old hump of "going live" is over, hopefully it runs itself. Gawd bless you, every one.

This year's DDP has 514 teams in it (all now entered into database so text pad can go away for another year :-))

Still 643 unrecognised celebs in the entries since Christmas to wade through and other bits and bobs.

For those of you that have picked slightly iffy notability picks msc and reptile are wading through these this week but this exercise won't be complete until the weekend at the earliest I would imagine so you may still be advised that some of your picks have not been accepted and that your subs are in play.

Thanks for your patience everybody whilst we complete this process.

Cheers, GUN

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Yes it can't be any fun doing it one-handed....;)

Then there is the inevitable *shit, one of my picks died, I need a sub* moments all while tabulating the teams.

I have said before, awesome job, I only know TMIB, Spade and now the current Committee have done a spectacular job and accept sorting out issues with immense good humour and grace.

Once the big old hump of "going live" is over, hopefully it runs itself. Gawd bless you, every one.

The first ten days/two weeks of the year, especially in 2019 when TMIB wasn't around to help, was nearly enough to put me off the DDP/deadpooling/the internet/human interaction for good.

• Like 4

I am happy to help with finding images if required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The first ten days/two weeks of the year, especially in 2019 when TMIB wasn't around to help, was nearly enough to put me off the DDP/deadpooling/the internet/human interaction for good.

Same here. A thankless task twelve years ago and I can't imagine it's any better now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

And we can only thank you again for your calm troubleshooting this time last year!

18 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Same here. A thankless task twelve years ago and I can't imagine it's any better now. 

Memory lane for you, I know...

2021: Sounds like 1000 new names (give or take) out of circa 10.5k picks in total (although obviously many of them will be popular names, iirc 2020 saw 1400 unique picks among 3300 names).

Many of them badly, badly spelt. Not convinced some of them actually exist a people tbh.

Once the new names are all checked, the big Access file with every single team is generated at which points I look for picks that shouldn't be there. This system can also generate the Drop 40 at this point, but sometimes gremlins get in the way - it deleted George Alagiah last year!

At which point, barring errors, Reptile can upload the new webpages and I'll update the front page urls.

When it's written down like that, it all sounds simple...:D

Surprised to learn Charles Dance and Diane Keaton had never been picked before.

• Like 3

Just as a quick update all the new celebs have now been waded through and hopefully the variant spellings and the misspellings all eliminated. The final list of additional celebs is 843

However because of the new FFBI rules there is a separate exercise ongoing which gcr and msc are undertaking going through those celebs and identifying and agreeing any ineligible picks.

Once identified then they will need removed from teams, players informed and hopefully subs moved into their places - if the subs aren't on the data base then they will need created and checked.

Oh and I still need to remind myself what I need to do with the teams database and new teams.

So still plenty to do but we're getting there but a few extra steps this year before it arrives in the IT capable hands of Reptile and I walk off into the sunset for another year.

Cheers, GUN

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

However because of the new FFBI rules there is a separate exercise ongoing which gcr and msc are undertaking going through those celebs and identifying and agreeing any ineligible picks.

Not trying to burden you guys with more work but any chance you could copy and paste the list of rejected names here once you’ve finished? 

I’d be really interested to see where the line has been drawn and for the sake of picking appropriately towards future entries for myself and others etc. etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Not trying to burden you guys with more work but any chance you could copy and paste the list of rejected names here once you’ve finished? 

I’d be really interested to see where the line has been drawn and for the sake of picking appropriately towards future entries for myself and others etc. etc.

Haha - probably we can do that but I suspect certain forum users will then spend the next week or so comparing all the names on the DDP with the list of rejects and pointing out inconsistencies - it would be nice to think there won't be any but we're only human and I think overall the changes are for the better even if they are not perfect.

Plus there is a slight flaw in the system where any FFBIs picked in prior years already in the database may slip through the net so I'm trying to pick those up now whilst Reptile and msc do the other bit.

3 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Haha - probably we can do that but I suspect certain forum users will then spend the next week or so comparing all the names on the DDP with the list of rejects and pointing out inconsistencies - it would be nice to think there won't be any but we're only human and I think overall the changes are for the better even if they are not perfect.

Plus there is a slight flaw in the system where any FFBIs picked in prior years already in the database may slip through the net so I'm trying to pick those up now whilst Reptile and msc do the other bit.

Suppose that’s fair. I’ve never picked a FFBI person before (unless you count Jade Goody :D...). Just sucks away the fun of deadpooling.

Were there many people who still tried to enter FFBI names? 

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Were there many people who still tried to enter FFBI names? 

No - I think in all honesty the FFBI picks this year are where people have overstepped the line on the odd pick - no one has gone out to pick the blatant FFBIs like in previous years.

Last year I spent a good few hours on Just Giving identifying who the picks were and trying to establish if they were still alive - this year I've not found myself on Just Giving once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

John Dabell - a man with a blog.

Dr Zuzana Brabcova - cancer professor from Glasgow who I'd never heard of. Let alone those with no links to Glasgow academia.

Johnny Dwight Whited - no name who confessed to a murder

Margaret Keenan and other vaccinated people - not famous

Vivienne Player

Julian Fiano - Only appeared in one episode of a dating show, doesn't fulfill reality TV requirements.

Katie Brickell - 100% FFBI (snuck through from 2020, caught by Grim)

James Jordan's dad - Never heard of him. Let alone his dad.

So far from my end. Will add to this as things develop. We've been quite fair on precedent too ie if one pick got allowed because of X, Y and Z, then other picks with X, Y and Z also get allowed.

I'm aware folk will go "Why X Not Y?" but frankly the answer is "because the Cmme said so, ya obscure person picker! PS There's a vacancy coming up shortly if you think you can help do a better job..." :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Dr Zuzana Brabcova - cancer professor from Glasgow who I'd never heard of. Let alone those with no links to Glasgow academia.

Vivienne Player

Julian Fiano - Only appeared in one episode of a dating show, doesn't fulfill reality TV requirements.

So far from my end. Will add to this as things develop. We've been quite fair on precedent too ie if one pick got allowed because of X, Y and Z, then other picks with X, Y and Z also get allowed.

I'm aware folk will go "Why X Not Y?" but frankly the answer is "because the Cmme said so, ya obscure person picker! PS There's a vacancy coming up shortly if you think you can help do a better job..." :lol:

Please keep in mind cup players that every single one of these names and every other pick who is determined to be FFBI will not be acceptable picks for the cup. Anyone trying to sneak one of those names through will face massive scrutiny. 

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Vivienne Player

All looks fairly executed to me. 

Gawd, some folk must actually rake through the depths of Google results pages 100+ to find some of these picks. 10/10 for obscurity, 0/10 for creativity! :lol:

51 minutes ago, msc said:

Vivienne Player

This info has been released before I've actually told some of the teams so I'd better get on with that!!

• Haha 1

I know it's an inexact science, but for the ABC DP I type the person's first name and then surname, and if I get to the 4th letter of the surname (apart from Jones or summat), and they aren't one of the top 3 suggested people, they need to overcome a lot for me to call them a celeb.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://deadline.com/2021/01/marion-ramsey-dead-obituary-police-academy-actress-was-73-1234666700/

Hopefully  pending a qualifying obituary  Marion Ramsey (actress from Police Academy Film series) is a 'hit' for me in my Blueberry Crumble team  

Does being hopeful work better in bold? I'll have to try that because as ever I'm getting nowhere at all in standard Times New Roman. Perhaps I'll try impact even Comic Sans. 

Yes, I'm at a bit of a loose end for a minute.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Does being hopeful work better in bold? I'll have to try that because as ever I'm getting nowhere at all in standard Times New Roman. Perhaps I'll try impact even Comic Sans. 

Yes, I'm at a bit of a loose end for a minute.

No I pressed the bold button accidentally without intention!

I'm not entirely sure how the ruling on Allan Jordan is not a de unoffical ban on some types of family of the famous - feels like an area in need of clarification one way or another.

13 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I'm not entirely sure how the ruling on Allan Jordan is not a de facto ban on some types of family of the famous rather than a FFBI ruling.

The initial announcement of the FFBI ban addressed the point of nonentity relatives of celebs:

Now this wont please everyone who wanted stricter fireguards, but it’s a start which can be built on in the future if need be. For example, the parents and siblings of celebrities are technically a grey area, but I feel most of them can be run through the 6 check points above. [Sadly there is no ban on people who make their living off reality TV appearances.] The entry period for a new DDP is quite hectic and the last thing anyone involved needs to deal with is the number of cheeky sods who try and play to the whistle as much as possible (you all know who you are!) so the above guidelines reveal exactly who will and wont be accepted. And besides, we all know the type of picks that are going.

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

The initial announcement of the FFBI ban addressed the point of nonentity relatives of celebs:

True but however it's arguable being the parent of someone famous automatically makes you at least locally notable - a mum of a multiple top 40 charting singer lives nearish to me and she is locally her status is all about who her child is.

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Basically, its a judgment call. Some have imdb/Wiki/blatant newsbait worthiness which makes it easier, but some are basically asking the Cmme how acceptable they think a pick is.

tbh if you're going to pick a person so on the line they need a judgement call, then a judgement call is what you need to accept.

• Like 4