msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

50 minutes ago, msc said:

As there's no decent Judgement Call gifs, here's Robert Kilroy-Silk:

The announcement did say Family of the famous won't be excluded much but an IDMB credited for self appearances mother of an a-Lister is ruled out so by that definition the majority will. If you wanted a wide ranging family ban announce one as part of the definitions don't sneak it in via the back door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

With Andrea Swift rejected then we can safely all family of the famous are banned unless they have a career of their own. Not sure why it was said most would count when it's clear from that rejection the majority won't.

I thought it was funny that Andrea Swift was rejected and her replacement was Susan Bayh.

Not a criticism but I had concerns about them both.

[obviously I'm not complaining here and just offering views not intended to diminish or disparage the Committee]

I originally took it to mean there was a cut-off point w/r/t fame of the celebrity rather than the family member. So, for instance, the father of (searches for a celebrity father who doesn't have a Wikipedia page) Elon Musk, Errol Musk, would have been accepted, whereas that guy from Strictly's dad wouldn't. Because, otherwise, what separates Kate Middleton or various assorted first ladies from Andrea Swift? Why is Barack Obama's grandmother an acceptable pick? Eminem's mother, who he has banged on about enough in his songs over the years, does that make her famous enough?

34 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The announcement did say Family of the famous won't be excluded much but an IDMB credited for self appearances mother of an a-Lister is ruled out so by that definition the majority will. If you wanted a wide ranging family ban announce one as part of the definitions don't sneak it in via the back door.

30 minutes ago, deadsox said:

I thought it was funny that Andrea Swift was rejected and her replacement was Susan Bayh.

Not a criticism but I had concerns about them both.

As I said happy to watch this discussion from the side lines and not get involved. Before you spend too many pages discussing it though it is worth mentioning that the committee only disallowed 3 celeb family members - Vivienne Player, Allan Jordan and Andrea Swift.

Of those 3 two were accepted by all of us without much thought and Andrea Swift was discussed a lot more.  Perhaps we made the wrong decision but we made a decision.

• Like 1

My view is that if people don't want such arbritary decisions on fame they should stop picking some wankeringly stupid picks. Its quite enough as it is co-running a 500+ plus team deadpool without having to worry about the fame levels of every single sibling/mum in the world. Each one picked was deliberated over, some at considerable length. If you don't like the decision, get to fuck, basically. If it weren't for some of you and your unending addiction to picking 20 year old female nobodies with 2 kids and 1 fatal cancer, none of this would be applicable now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

[obviously I'm not complaining here and just offering views not intended to diminish or disparage the Committee]

I originally took it to mean there was a cut-off point w/r/t fame of the celebrity rather than the family member. So, for instance, the father of (searches for a celebrity father who doesn't have a Wikipedia page) Elon Musk, Errol Musk, would have been accepted, whereas that guy from Strictly's dad wouldn't. Because, otherwise, what separates Kate Middleton or various assorted first ladies from Andrea Swift? Why is Barack Obama's grandmother an acceptable pick? Eminem's mother, who he has banged on about enough in his songs over the years, does that make her famous enough?

First Ladies/known grandmothers (she was focal point of the Trump Presidency creating conspiracy after all) strike me as being akin to the relatives of the monarch as equivalents.

imdb/Wiki/some basic noteriety basically. For Eminem, his ex is cleary part of his pop culture lineage (Kim iirc?).

Picks without imdb/Wiki/some basic noteriety were harder to get past the censors... EDIT Note Andrea Swifts imdb appears to be her being interviewed on TV as Taylor Swifts mum. Amy Price has been on Lose Women several times as (christ) their plastic surgery expert pundit. There is a difference there between two shit picks in my book (and my books 1/3 of the decison! :D)

Just checked my list, everything seems to be in order, with 5 unique picks.

There's something seriously amiss with the Arthur's Theme Theme Team with many duplicate entries.

Just now, JQW said:

There's something seriously amiss with the Arthur's Theme Theme Team with many duplicate entries.

I think that team intentionally did that looking at all the picks...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Thats the team that nearly caused someone (lets call them Nim up Grorth for anoynmity) a near nervous breakdown...

• Haha 2

Committee  forgive me please if you have already answered this but has your increased points for unique picks resulted in a higher proportion of this years names being unique?

I know I created my teams with that in mind and hence had 37 unique picks out of 60 but I am curious if there was an overall boost in uniques?

17 minutes ago, JQW said:

Just checked my list, everything seems to be in order, with 5 unique picks.

16 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Thats the team that nearly caused someone (lets call them Nim up Grorth for anoynmity) a near nervous breakdown...

:D

I can laugh now but for year's to come people are going to pick Randy Jackson and the data base won't pick them up - then in the second stage the google of the data base will reveal there are two Randy Jacksons each with a separate date of birth - then a quick hop back to the entry email to see if any clues in there then if all that fails an email back to the entrant asking which Randy Jackson it is.

Same for Mick Jones, Adam Scott, Rob Thomas and Mandy Moore although the further down the team list we get the less chance there is of another team picking.

With the more diverse couplets in terms of fame I left the most famous as the actual name so that in future years the database would still plump for the famous one but again if the more obscure one should actually get cancer or something then that's going to fuck it up too. :D

I have no problem with either the DDP or the Alt Obits rejecting picks.  I think way too many obscure "celebrities" get it as it is.  

If you really want to take a shot at winning either one, however, you have to try people like Andrea Swift (relatively young and very ill) to protect your team from being left out if they are judged acceptable..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, deadsox said:

I have no problem with either the DDP or the Alt Obits rejecting picks.  I think way too many obscure "celebrities" get it as it is.  

If you really want to take a shot at winning either one, however, you have to try people like Andrea Swift (relatively young and very ill) to protect your team from being left out if they are judged acceptable..

Yes I can accept this point - if you have a good pick that is debateable then pick them but accept it if they are rejected (which everyone has).

And we should remember that out of 10,280 picks covering 3,426 acceptable different picks only a total less than 30 picks were rejected under the new rules and only 17 individual picks.

Only one team had more than one pick rejected with a total of 3 rejections and they had 3 subs.

The new rules have been a game changer for the better and these borderline fringe decisions are exactly that although of course it will be interesting to review at the end of the year if any of these decisions made a difference to the final DDP winner.

It is possible that in rejecting a pick and enforcing a sub into play that a team may score more as well as less.

Time to move on and enjoy the game.

Cheers, GUN

EDIT: I should add that a number of players commented when they submitted their teams on how much they liked the rule changes and were pleased that the changes had been made. It may not have been a coincidence that some long absent teams reappeared this year. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Well I have 16 uniques on my Theme team can't really complain about Fay Weldon as her ill health was all over the papers in the Autumn. Clive Barker was picked by a Liverpool theme team and Larry Niven and Melvyn Bragg were not surprised.

Fourteen uniques on Unusual Suspects but this team normally does not do well. There is a reason other people do not pick them

That'll me and I had him on the same theme team last year as well. Surprised he's not a more popular choice to be honest.

• Like 1

The recently deceased Kathy Shaidle is on two teams including a fairly strong line-up from Plan B From Outer Space. Even the religious blog sites that were happy to host her posts are failing to come through with obits. DDP List of the lost material by the looks of it.  Be amazed if she obits fit for HPDP at this rate.

On 11/01/2021 at 21:33, msc said:

Incidentally, the "surprise" Drop 40 name (eye of the beholder stuff, I know) was Gerd Muller. From nowhere to a top pick.

That's the power of a OoO footballers with dementia thread for you ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Octopus of Odstock said:

That's the power of a OoO footballers with dementia thread for you ;)

Although I was very close to picking Tony Parkes based on how quickly he seemed to be going downhill (made it to the final 5 axed from the team) and I've since seen no one picked him in the DDP at all!

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Although I was very close to picking Tony Parkes based on how quickly he seemed to be going downhill (made it to the final 5 axed from the team) and I've since seen no one picked him in the DDP at all!

I've decided I will enter a football team for DDP 2022, left it too late to decide to enter this year. Probably a combination of dementia, oldest and World Cup. 

PS 7 people only chose Duke of Kent. Shocked and appalled. 

• Like 4

I didn't expect any uniques in my main team, but was surprised to see Prince Ernst August of Hanover a unique in the theme team.  He's been in my main team before because he's a car crash.

Oh, and amused to see the comment for Hannah Wants!  :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I've decided I will enter a football team for 2022, left it too late to decide to enter this year. Probably a combination of dementia, oldest and World Cup. 

I think I speak for DDP hosts and co-hosts, present and future, by saying there's always space for you whenever you want to join in.

Actually, on the note of former DDP champs, 2021 has SEVEN former winners playing: Reptile, DI, DDT, Drunkasaskunk, JoeRam (in every game since 2000!), the Deathlist Cmme themselves and Spade. This equals the record set by the 2010 DDP (Matthew..., DDT, Meet your Maker, Fallen Sparrow, JoeRam, Drunkasaskunk, Deathlist) which was won by, err... some octopus chap or other. :D

• Like 1

I have managed 11 uniques in the Rons team, which is two fewer than last year. Ten in the non-theme time's-up team, one more than last year.

I remain surprised that egghead Daphne Fowler is yet again unique! Equally I was surprised that Muhammed Rafiq Tarar wasn't; on checking I find that Complications From A Fall has him, as was the case last year. Sorry, I pinched your unique.

I expect to do as well as usual (i.e. top-1000 finish) and hope I haven't picked anyone who's already dead..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, msc said:

Picks without imdb/Wiki/some basic noteriety were harder to get past the censors... EDIT Note Andrea Swifts imdb appears to be her being interviewed on TV as Taylor Swifts mum. 

Are you telling me she was allowed?  You just posted the reason to punt her.  What was the reason in her favour?

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Are you telling me she was allowed?  You just posted the reason to punt her.  What was the reason in her favour?

No she was disallowed.

Hey @Grim Up North upon seeing my team I'm assuming my e-mail in response to the sub situation was missed in terms of Schindelholz/Turnbull. Would it be possible to have Schindelholz changed for Turnbull on Peel Slippers? 

21 minutes ago, Banana said:

Hey @Grim Up North upon seeing my team I'm assuming my e-mail in response to the sub situation was missed in terms of Schindelholz/Turnbull. Would it be possible to have Schindelholz changed for Turnbull on Peel Slippers? 

I didn’t miss it just misunderstood it. I’ve reread it now and understand.

I’ll explain to Reptile and he’ll do the swap when he can. Cheers