msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

I feel that too many of my picks are in the drop 40, but then again not enough are

Also why is Turnbull such a popular pick, didn't he say he has 18 years left?

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

I didn’t miss it just misunderstood it. I’ve reread it now and understand.

I’ll explain to Reptile and he’ll do the swap when he can. Cheers

Thanks again. 

Has a Drop 40 pick ever not QO'ed? Susan Bayh could be the first.

Okay, as often, after the game goes online, people check for errors, and sometimes a team goes missing, or there is a misunderstanding and such.

And today, we have to add another team that didn't make it into the game.

That team has picked Jerry Lee Lewis, which means he has now been picked one more time than Paul Gascoigne. So Paul Gascoigne doesn't make it into the Drop 40 anymore, because we have a clean cut at 35 picks to make it.

Just for your information, the rest should remain unchanged, I hope. But it's possible that someone loses a unique pick, because that new team picked the person as well. I haven't checked all 20 picks but it might happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1

I think my few hours in the lead on new year's day means I've led the DDP in eight different years.   

Also thrilled that after failing to pick a unique pick for the first time ever last year, my only one this year dropped dead within hours of the new competition starting.

Finally I must be getting soft in my old age... I know about a terminally ill young poet who will get an obit, but I thought she was so lovely I couldn't bring myself to pick her. Fortunately no one else has either.  The Living End of a decade ago would have jokered her without giving it a second thought.  

Thank you committee for your efforts :clap:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Okay, as often, after the game goes online, people check for errors, and sometimes a team goes missing, or there is a misunderstanding and such.

That team has picked Jerry Lee Lewis, which means he has now been picked one more time than Paul Gascoigne. So Paul Gascoigne doesn't make it into the Drop 40 anymore, because we have a clean cut at 35 picks to make it.

Just for your information, the rest should remain unchanged, I hope. But it's possible that someone loses a unique pick, because that new team picked the person as well. I haven't checked all 20 picks but it might happen.

Yikes!

20 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

I can laugh now but for year's to come people are going to pick Randy Jackson and the data base won't pick them up - then in the second stage the google of the data base will reveal there are two Randy Jacksons each with a separate date of birth - then a quick hop back to the entry email to see if any clues in there then if all that fails an email back to the entrant asking which Randy Jackson it is.

Same for Mick Jones, Adam Scott, Rob Thomas and Mandy Moore although the further down the team list we get the less chance there is of another team picking.

We're in a position now where there's too many celebrities that share names. It was bad enough in the 70s when there were three famous people called John Le Mesurier, but why in 2021 do we need two people called Peyton List? Or Erin Moriarty? 

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Admittedly Gazza being too low for the D40 but high enough for the Inverse is the best of both worlds. Same deal with Trump.

On a far happier and less controversial note hopefully, Joey has pointed out that with my non-email focus on picks rather than teams, I had missed the return of another old school DLer to the DDP:

Ali's back again!

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Nicola Mendelsohn has two separate entries on the list of celebs.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_M.html#mendelnx19

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_M.html#mendell021

Not marked as unique on either team mind you.

So she does - not obvious from the spelling why the already existing 19 ref celeb wasn't picked up so looking at files now but quite obviously same person, same DOB everything.

EDIT: Ah Deathray has called her Lady and my google of Mendelsohn in the database has not found her (perhaps I misspelled her name when searching). Then when my good fellow committee members have been filling in details on the Celebs file one of them has corrected her spelling to Nicola so now the two records appear identical.

Kevorkian Clinics entry on tab 3 just needs changed to Nicola @gcreptile and the new 021 record deleted.

Thanks YW

• Like 2

Sorry to be a bore but I'm trawling the lists just now.

May I suggest that the John Prescott picked in in fact THE John Prescott? No More Expenses is the giveaway.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

So she does - not obvious from the spelling why the already existing 19 ref celeb wasn't picked up so looking at files now but quite obviously same person, same DOB everything.

EDIT: Ah Deathray has called her Lady and my google of Mendelsohn in the database has not found her (perhaps I misspelled her name when searching). Then when my good fellow committee members have been filling in details on the Celebs file one of them has corrected her spelling to Nicola so now the two records appear identical.

Kevorkian Clinics entry on tab 3 just needs changed to Nicola @gcreptile and the new 021 record deleted.

Thanks YW

Similar for Obituarynotice.

They have two Joyce Reynolds who appear to be the same person.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_R.html#reynolc021

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_R.html#reynoljx19

In this case however, they are both marked as unique for the same team.

Maybe a different Joyce Reynolds was meant for one of them?

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Similar for Obituarynotice.

They have two Joyce Reynolds who appear to be the same person.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_R.html#reynolc021

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_R.html#reynoljx19

In this case however, they are both marked as unique for the same team.

Maybe a different Joyce Reynolds was meant for one of them?

There does exist another geriatric Joyce Reynolds - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Reynolds_(actress)

Possibly one of them was meant to be her?

• Like 1

Yes, definitely two different. They were submitted next to each other.

• Like 1

However...... the descriptions of those are the same...

The actress is missing in the database :sigh:

What if I.... got some Krusty Burgers and disguised them as my own cooking? gave one of those Joyce Reynolds' the different description, but the coding stays the same.

By the way, I am fixing all these things, so just keep on looking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

On a far happier and less controversial note hopefully, Joey has pointed out that with my non-email focus on picks rather than teams, I had missed the return of another old school DLer to the DDP:

Ali's back again!

Very much yer marathon not a sprint style of dead pooler, Tom Parker is a notable absence in his astute line up of selections.

Went on the website last night and went through the celebrity  names from a to f and even with just those letters I am hugely impressed by how much work has been undertaken in such a short period of time given the number of players  and the increase in new names and I sense an increase in unique and unusual picks  so far after you incentivised uniques. 

I absolutely  take my hats off to all 3 of you.Its exhausting to even think of the level of effort involved!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

What if I.... got some Krusty Burgers and disguised them as my own cooking? gave one of those Joyce Reynolds' the different description, but the coding stays the same.

Ok another one.

Judge Judy has two separate entries under Judith and Judy Sheindlin.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_S.html#sheindjx19

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_S.html#sheij0

This time marked as unique for both teams.

58 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Very much yer marathon not a sprint style of dead pooler, Tom Parker is a notable absence in his astute line up of selections.

From what I can gather he is very, very busy these days so it was a quick "names off top of head" team. Delighted to have him back though.

6 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Finally I must be getting soft in my old age... I know about a terminally ill young poet who will get an obit, but I thought she was so lovely I couldn't bring myself to pick her. Fortunately no one else has either.  The Living End of a decade ago would have jokered her without giving it a second thought.  

Thank you committee for your efforts :clap:

I had the same moral dilemma with one of my DDP picks this year. I ultimately decided to include them. Some picks can make you feel guilty alright.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

And again.

Arthur Smith and Arthur Hoyle Smith appear to be the same guy, again marked as unique for both teams.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_S.html#smita2

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_S.html#smith9a121

225987145_ScreenShot2021-01-13at17_52_44.jpg.2ea28ced4de3ceac1bc7d355c61061f1.jpg

I'll save you guys the bother of even watching this one. He died in 2015.

If you translate the name into Arabic (محمود فيزي الهزاع), several news pieces come up from Jan 2015. Using this one, the first two paragraphs translated into English:

"Baghdad - The family of a senior officer in the former Iraqi army announced his death in Nassiriya prison “south of the capital, Baghdad, due to torture and health neglect.

The "Baghdad Center for Human Rights" quoted the family of Lt. Gen. Mahmoud Fizi Al-Hazaa, as saying: “The authorities of Nassiriya prison in southern Iraq contacted them and informed them to come to the forensic hospital in the city of Nassiriya in order to receive Hazaa’s body."

Which wally picked these names? 1) Total pain in the arse for the organisers to add these Arabic names and research them given their obscurity 2) They'll never obit 3) The person didn't even use simple translation tools to check if they're alive??

I'm working through all entries A-Z to try and find names who are already dead. Will post anymore I come across as I go (sorry, I know it's more work for you guys and you're busy but hopefully it helps somewhat).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

225987145_ScreenShot2021-01-13at17_52_44.jpg.2ea28ced4de3ceac1bc7d355c61061f1.jpg

I'll save you guys the bother of even watching this one. He died in 2015.

If you translate the name into Arabic (محمود فيزي الهزاع), several news pieces come up from Jan 2015. Using this one, the first two paragraphs translated into English:

"Baghdad - The family of a senior officer in the former Iraqi army announced his death in Nassiriya prison “south of the capital, Baghdad, due to torture and health neglect.

The "Baghdad Center for Human Rights" quoted the family of Lt. Gen. Mahmoud Fizi Al-Hazaa, as saying: “The authorities of Nassiriya prison in southern Iraq contacted them and informed them to come to the forensic hospital in the city of Nassiriya in order to receive Hazaa’s body."

Which wally picked these names? 1) Total pain in the arse for the organisers to add these Arabic names and research them given their obscurity 2) They'll never obit 3) The person didn't even use simple translation tools to check if they're alive??

I'm working through all entries A-Z to try and find names who are already dead. Will post anymore I come across as I go (sorry, I know it's more work for you guys and you're busy but hopefully it helps somewhat).

I see like most of that persons picks he'll get as many points in 2021 dead years ago as he would alive.

That team - all of their teams - goes out of the way to pick super obscure. You can spend 30 mins just trying to track down one of their picks.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, msc said:

I see like most of that persons picks he'll get as many points in 2021 dead years ago as he would alive.

That team - all of their teams - goes out of the way to pick super obscure. You can spend 30 mins just trying to track down one of their picks.

But we don't judge :D

• Haha 2