msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

Sorry, WEP... I don't see the team when I get to add these descriptions. those are still with GUN at that point (Yes, that one is on me.)

But you have to admit... you don't make it easy for us, and it doesn't serve a purpose.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

And again.

Arthur Smith and Arthur Hoyle Smith appear to be the same guy, again marked as unique for both teams.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_S.html#smita2

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_S.html#smith9a121

More of these being picked up than I would like - I think as an additional step next year once all the celebs are finalised we should sort the 17,000 names or whatever into alphabetical order and just roll our eyes over them to try harder to pick these up.

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

But we don't judge :D

Oh no.

But it does allow me some of my better person descriptions:

Salm-Horstmar, Princess Felicitas Of

Born in Eisenach, Germany (exact date unknown)

Grandmother of the late Prince Georg-Constantin of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, part of the House of Wettin. As I think we all suspected, really...

Holze-Stablein, Oda-Gebbine

Born 2 July 1942 (Magdeburg, Germany)

Former State Superintendent for the Sprengel Ostfreisland-Ems of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hanover, Germany. Apparently.

You all thought you had obscure writers or politicians, but none of you have a State Superintendent of the Evangelical Lutheran Church...

Apparently.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

More of these being picked up than I would like - I think as an additional step next year once all the celebs are finalised we should sort the 17,000 names or whatever into alphabetical order and just roll our eyes over them to try harder to pick these up.

Good idea, we can concatenate in excel all the picked "first name"s and "last name"s

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I see a solution. Willz, fancy a job thats coming up soon?

:lol::lol::lol:

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, msc said:

I see a solution. Willz, fancy a job thats coming up soon?

:lol::lol::lol:

Not me....I'm just the poof reader.

Yeah, you read that right! :lol:;)

17 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Happens every year.

Look, I'm amazed there's so few this year. It's actually a tribute to the triumvirate that there's been so little to sort out, especially with all the new names on board.

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Happens every year.

Look, I'm amazed there's so few this year. It's actually a tribute to the triumvirate that there's been so little to sort out, especially with all the new names on board.

Yes there is simply a balance between how much work we do to ensure a perfect release and getting the site up which is what everyone wants.

But at the end of the process Reptile and msc are working on data I have completed and therefore I can carry out a few of these fairly basic mass data tests whilst they are doing that without delaying the release but improving its quality.

Cheers, GUN

• Like 1

So I have the whole of next week off work. Was planning on going back up to Scotland to see family but Wee Nippy and BoJo have collectively put an end to that plan. I'm therefore housebound and need a wee project to keep me from planting my arse down in front of Netflix all day.

On the A-Z of celebrities lists, I notice there are still a lot of mistakes/missing bio info, namely with dates and years. Some of them affect scoring, some are just off by a few months or years, and most of them seem to be on entries that have rolled over from previous years. Likely because as time has progressed more info has surfaced online, their Wiki pages have been added to/amended etc. etc.

I'd be happy to go through the entire lot, note corrections and ping over a summary if the powers that be deem it to be helpful/constructive? I understand that the DDP is time consuming as it is so I don't want to burden those running it, but on the contrary it could save time in the future if many of the older entries are amended now. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

So I have the whole of next week off work. Was planning on going back up to Scotland to see family but Wee Nippy and BoJo have collectively put an end to that plan. I'm therefore housebound and need a wee project to keep me from planting my arse down in front of Netflix all day.

On the A-Z of celebrities lists, I notice there are still a lot of mistakes/missing bio info, namely with dates and years. Some of them affect scoring, some are just off by a few months or years, and most of them seem to be on entries that have rolled over from previous years. Likely because as time has progressed more info has surfaced online, their Wiki pages have been added to/amended etc. etc.

I'd be happy to go through the entire lot, note corrections and ping over a summary if the powers that be deem it to be helpful/constructive? I understand that the DDP is time consuming as it is so I don't want to burden those running it, but on the contrary it could save time in the future if many of the older entries are amended now. Thoughts?

While this might be ok for this year, all that will happen is that next year they will all revert back for existing picks.

I take for example the description for Daniel Radcliffe, which I updated for TMIB back in 2017:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2017/celebs_R.html#radcld

The very next year and since (not picked this year, gasp!), it bounced back to an out of date bio:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2018/celebs_R.html#radcld

Now I don't know what or how the software works but it definitely bounces back to the original entry, which can become out of date very quickly. So a lot of that hard work may be lost unless the Committee have some ideas as to how to preserve the changes.

Additionally, @gcreptile, I noted that yesterday Gerry Marsden was crossed out on my team as per my previous enquiry (thanks btw!). I looked today and he's not crossed out. Not that it matters, he's on the scoreboard and his bio is marked RIP, but well...I don't know. If some are crossed out and some are not it might get confusing.

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hi Ulitzer - I would need to discuss with rest of Committee but if you are going to do that exercise it would seem sensible to me to actually send you the Celeb Database as is and let you loose on it.

I think changes to the bio narratives are risk free, changes to the DOB as a control freak I think we'd want sign off on but we could send you the database - you could edit the descriptions and correct the DOBs - and send it back to us.

Any deaths or duplicates identified would have to not be amended because we have to control those on other sheets too so you could simply keep a list of those.

In fact the job you are proposing doing is next on our list after the photos so it would be brilliant if you did on our behalf. Have you ever tried wanking though?

Cheers, GUN 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Be careful what you wish for  ;) .

All these info / birthdate changes are easy to do - so these can come quickly, and I don't mind.

I might do some corrections next weekend, so I'm sure that some descriptions will be amended by next week. So hold your fire until then. After that, I'm open to suggestions.

(By the way, the birthdate errors are regrettable but not necessarily fatal, because the score is calculated not by birthyear, but by age at death which has to be entered separately. Only exception: Birthday hits.)

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

While this might be ok for this year, all that will happen is that next year they will all revert back for existing picks.

I take for example the description for Daniel Radcliffe, which I updated for TMIB back in 2017:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2017/celebs_R.html#radcld

The very next year and since (not picked this year, gasp!), it bounced back to an out of date bio:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2018/celebs_R.html#radcld

Now I don't know what or how the software works but it definitely bounces back to the original entry, which can become out of date very quickly. So a lot of that hard work may be lost unless the Committee have some ideas as to how to preserve the changes.

Additionally, @gcreptile, I noted that yesterday Gerry Marsden was crossed out on my team as per my previous enquiry (thanks btw!). I looked today and he's not crossed out. Not that it matters, he's on the scoreboard and his bio is marked RIP, but well...I don't know. If some are crossed out and some are not it might get confusing.

The reason for these things is that there is an Excel file that gets carried over from year ro year, and there is a "current year access file". Whenever we change something, we have to change it twice, basically. Or the old state returns in the following year.

Remember, in 2017/18 The Man in Black departed fairly suddenly, so Spade had to salvage the game as good as possible. 

I'll gladly make a note and add your description.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The reason for these things is that there is an Excel file that gets carried over from year ro year, and there is a "current year access file". Whenever we change something, we have to change it twice, basically. Or the old state returns in the following year.

Remember, in 2017/18 The Man in Black departed fairly suddenly, so Spade had to salvage the game as good as possible. 

I'll gladly make a note and add your description.

Crikey!

So any changes Ulitzer or yourselves make have to be inputted twice to get them preserved if they are picked in subsequent years? Holy moly, that's a ton of work, but if you guys are up for it, that would be amazing!

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Hi Ulitzer - I would need to discuss with rest of Committee but if you are going to do that exercise it would seem sensible to me to actually send you the Celeb Database as is and let you loose on it.

I think changes to the bio narratives are risk free, changes to the DOB as a control freak I think we'd want sign off on but we could send you the database - you could edit the descriptions and correct the DOBs - and send it back to us.

Any deaths or duplicates identified would have to not be amended because we have to control those on other sheets too so you could simply keep a list of those.

In fact the job you are proposing doing is next on our list after the photos so it would be brilliant if you did on our behalf. Have you ever tried wanking though?

Cheers, GUN 

Thanks guys. Have a discussion amongst yourselves and decide what works best.

@gcreptile, I've done most of A already. There were maybe ~40 mistakes. I'll DM a list to you later. At least it'll be one less letter for you to sieve through. If you're happy to tackle it then fair enough but if you require any help, please just feel free to ask!

And yes @Grim Up North, but there are only so many times one can wank in a day before feeling nauseous. :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Crikey!

So any changes Ulitzer or yourselves make have to be inputted twice to get them preserved if they are picked in subsequent years? Holy moly, that's a ton of work, but if you guys are up for it, that would be amazing!

Pretty much.

Also, as the other Cmme seem in favour, it seems to me Ulitzer is basically asking "Hi, msc, mind if I do one of the boring bits of your DDP job for you?" to which I reply: "Feel free!" :lol:

• Haha 2

Philaret, Metropolit of Minsk, current Head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, has died: https://eng.belta.by/society/view/metropolitan-filaret-honorary-patriarchal-exarch-of-all-belarus-passes-away-136486-2021/

Had been a DDP pick some years ago under the name of Filaret: http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2018/celebs_F.html#filarp

• Like 2

Hm, only one team picked Alexej Nawalny. Might not be the worst pick.

23 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not me....I'm just the poof reader.

Yeah, you read that right! :lol:;)

You know there's no need to shoehorn your sexuality into every comment. 

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Guessing that’s you Deathray? :rolleyes:

F6B0F295-3CC3-48D5-94BD-4EBFDC1A7538.jpeg

Expert level detective there you cunt.

Anyway my main point was to YW. We know he's fucking gay, he doesn't need to mention it at every opportunity in a vague attempt to solicit someone to suck his cock. We got the hint years ago, and the fact he's still looking suggests no-ones made advances (except Crumble who'd shag the Grim Reaper or Meduza if they had cocks) should tell him to shut the fuck up about it.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, WhosThat said:

Anyway my main point was to YW. We know he's fucking gay, he doesn't need to mention it at every opportunity in a vague attempt to solicit someone to suck his cock. We got the hint years ago, and the fact he's still looking suggests no-ones made advances (except Crumble who'd shag the Grim Reaper or Meduza if they had cocks) should tell him to shut the fuck up about it.

It was a pun you cunt. :lol:

Now get banned and fuck off forever, troll.

40 minutes ago, WhosThat said:

Joke’s on you. Can’t even change your IP address to go under the radar of the admins. Pretty amateur.

Keep creating new accounts and keep getting banned. Such a waste of your own time. Tool.

2 hours ago, WhosThat said:

I would not shag or have sexual relations with either the grim reaper or Medusa. I am not a slag I am a tart!

The distinction is crucial!

• Like 1

Stanley Sopel, exec producer on the Bond films (going as far back as Dr. No) is another already dead pick. In fact, he died way back in 2007.

841590355_ScreenShot2021-01-14at22_56_17.jpg.17c32c740299e859f65906831a26dd82.jpg

Checking the birth deets firstly, I assume the "1st" was just used as a default date so the birth bit can be filled in as I can't find that listed as a DOB anywhere online. BFI and IMDb just list his birth as simply "October 1924". Companies House backs up the month/year (he was still an active company director in the entertainment industry until 2002).

A search on Ancestry only brings up one individual in the UK for his name, in a family tree:

Stanley Sopel b. 11 Oct 1924 London, d. 23 Oct 2007 London.

Double checking it's the right man...

There is only one person by the name STANLEY SOPEL born between 1920 and 1930, born in last Q4 1924: 

Births Dec 1924   (>99%)
Sopel  Stanley  Sopel  Holborn  1b 828  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Sole match in the GRO Index:

SOPEL, STANLEY     1924  
GRO Reference:  DOR  Q4/2007 in CAMDEN  (2501E)  Reg 1E001  Entry Number 500505682

mv5bmznmmtlhzwetzddkoc00ywmwlw.jpg.557772c08332e50c4a5308526dbd82bd.jpg
(image from a 2000 Bond doc)

Pretty unique name. Person could've checked it before throwing him in. Pity as the rest of their team has some pretty good picks!

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Stanley Sopel, exec producer on the Bond films (going as far back as Dr. No) is another already dead pick. In fact, he died way back in 2007.

841590355_ScreenShot2021-01-14at22_56_17.jpg.17c32c740299e859f65906831a26dd82.jpg

Checking the birth deets firstly, I assume the "1st" was just used as a default date so the birth bit can be filled in as I can't find that listed as a DOB anywhere online. BFI and IMDb just list his it as simply "October 1924". Companies House backs up the month/year (he was still an active company director in the entertainment industry until 2002).

A search on Ancestry only brings up one individual in the UK for his name, in a family tree:

Stanley Sopel b. 11 Oct 1924 London, d. 23 Oct 2007 London.

Double checking it's the right man...

There is only one person by the name STANLEY SOPEL born between 1920 and 1930, born in last Q4 1924: 

Births Dec 1924   (>99%)
Sopel  Stanley  Sopel  Holborn  1b 828  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Sole match in the GRO Index:

SOPEL, STANLEY     1924  
GRO Reference:  DOR  Q4/2007 in CAMDEN  (2501E)  Reg 1E001  Entry Number 500505682

mv5bmznmmtlhzwetzddkoc00ywmwlw.jpg.557772c08332e50c4a5308526dbd82bd.jpg
(image from a 2000 Bond doc)

Pretty unique name. Person could've checked it before throwing him in. Pity as the rest of their team has some pretty good picks!

That's *my* pick. And if he did die in 2007, I've been done in by a *current* interview with him from 2011! Naturally I looked up all the usual haunts since 2010 and it brought nowt up...  (Although I now find that interview was from a book in 1981 and it was just passed off as new. Bugger)

Well that answers my "how the fuck is he still alive?" query!

(Thanks for the views on the rest of the team - it was trying to avoid folk being on the List of the Missed!)

• Like 1