msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

1 minute ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I'm curious, has a non-Brit ever won the DDP?

Yes, a fortnight ago in fact - Reptile is German.

DI (2019) is from East coast USA iirc, Dr T (2018) was Ozzie, Meet your Maker (2006-7) was Canadian, MT Graves (2000) American. Think Otis (2003) and Sparrow (2005) were Americans too.

MT Graves is the only person to have won it posthumously. He died in summer 2000, before his team won the DDP that year.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Yes, a fortnight ago in fact - Reptile is German.

DI (2019) is from East coast USA iirc, Dr T (2018) was Ozzie, Meet your Maker (2006-7) was Canadian, MT Graves (2000) American. Think Otis (2003) and Sparrow (2005) were Americans too.

MT Graves is the only person to have won it posthumously. He died in summer 2000, before his team won the DDP that year.

Interesting, thank you

8 minutes ago, msc said:

That's *my* pick. And if he did die in 2007, I've been done in by a *current* interview with him from 2011! Naturally I looked up all the usual haunts since 2010 and it brought nowt up...  (Although I now find that interview was from a book in 1981 and it was just passed off as new. Bugger)

Well that answers my "how the fuck is he still alive?" query!

(Thanks for the views on the rest of the team - it was trying to avoid folk being on the List of the Missed!)

Harsh luck @msc. I guess thinking outside the box in deadpooling is sometimes very rewarding but in some cases they can die off radar or not turn up an obit when they do die.

His death is not mentioned on any of the Bond sites/forums online, but then again he's not really discussed much at all.

Easy to be misled by quoted/rehashed interviews. Herta Bothe springs to mind. For years she was believed to be alive because a 1999 interview of her was reused for a 2007 documentary, without it actually stating in the doc that it was archived footage! (She died in 2000).

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Harsh luck @msc. I guess thinking outside the box in deadpooling is sometimes very rewarding but in some cases they can die off radar or not turn up an obit when they do die.

His death is not mentioned on any of the Bond sites/forums online, but then again he's not really discussed much at all.

Easy to be misled by quoted/rehashed interviews. Herta Bothe springs to mind. For years she was believed to be alive because a 1999 interview of her was reused for a 2007 documentary, without it actually stating in the doc that it was archived footage! (She died in 2000).

Yeah, I assumed - wrongly - that if he had died someone would have discussed it with how huge Bond fandom is. Ah well.

(And yeah there was a case a few years back of a silent film actress getting a full Telegraph obit - and DDP points - off a hoax Facebook announcement! They had in fact died 20-30 years previously!)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah, I assumed - wrongly - that if he had died someone would have discussed it with how huge Bond fandom is. Ah well.

(And yeah there was a case a few years back of a silent film actress getting a full Telegraph obit - and DDP points - off a hoax Facebook announcement! They had in fact died 20-30 years previously!)

I think you're referring to Pola Illery?

The Telegraph finally pulled the erroneous obit 2 years later after yours truly got in touch with them!

Whilst we're on silent film actors. I believe DDP 2021 is the first year not to feature any silent film actor picks (even though about 3 of its child stars are still with us).

That's if you don't count actress/Marlene Dietrich's daughter Maria Riva, who appeared in a silent documentary in the 20s as a baby. She is a pick. 

Diana Serra Cary was a successful pick last year, and may be the last hit from the silent era.

At risk of being sent to the snowflake thread for being petty....

"Human Ken Doll" Rodrigo Alves transitioned to be known as a woman called Jessica Alves a while ago. I think us listing her as Rodrigo with an old photo is known as dead naming now

(maybe disheartening for any fellow players who are trans, I don't know).

6 minutes ago, j0neseur0 said:

At risk of being sent to the snowflake thread for being petty....

"Human Ken Doll" Rodrigo Alves transitioned to be known as a woman called Jessica Alves a while ago. I think us listing her as Rodrigo with an old photo is known as dead naming now

(maybe disheartening for any fellow players who are trans, I don't know).

Yes this needs sorted and the name issue is my fault. I have changed their name on the lookup tab but left coding the same and not updated the Celeb tab which pulls through all the photo and info. This would at least have correctly called her Jessica. (I'm not aware of the phrase 'dead naming' although I can obviously see what it means).

The photo and write up will be updated as part of the process of bringing the photos and write ups to reflect current reality. 

So I don't disagree with you but its just a timing thing which stands out more than some of the other descriptions that are equally out of date.

• Like 4

Sylvain Sylvain is dead. I think this is quite important death in terms of 2021 DDP. I did consider him but eventually dropped because there wasn't much information about him.

• Like 1

Not to be analarmist - but I do not see me Made In Detroit theme team - which was attached to the same email that Gris Gris was on.  I only see two theme teams starting with the letter M.  Am I overlooking something on the DDP website? 

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Not to be analarmist - but I do not see me Made In Detroit theme team - which was attached to the same email that Gris Gris was on.  I only see two theme teams starting with the letter M.  Am I overlooking something on the DDP website? 

I cant remember seeing Made in Detroit either when I entered the teams - let me check the email and apologies if it's yet another fuck up - I'll be getting sacked if there are any more of these.

EDIT: No I've checked and there was only one team on that email Team Gris Gris - the email starts with A lot of repeats which will help us both, then there is Team Gris Gris and then ends with Merry Christmas?

Cheers, GUN

11 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I cant remember seeing Made in Detroit either when I entered the teams - let me check the email and apologies if it's yet another fuck up - I'll be getting sacked if there are any more of these.

EDIT: No I've checked and there was only one team on that email Team Gris Gris - the email starts with A lot of repeats which will help us both, then there is Team Gris Gris and then ends with Merry Christmas?

Cheers, GUN

It's all good.  First time I looked at the site.  I had sent the email to last year's email at first like a dumb fuck, then 'forwarded' them to the proper one.  So half the blame is on my doorstep.   I just re-sent the email I thought I sent to you corrected -- had both teams.  Dated Dec 27.  Oh well. (UPon review it appears I sent Gris Gris TWICE to the corrected email instead of both....ugh... the dual team attachment was sent to last year' email as you can see.)

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

So half the blame is on my doorstep.  

Where is the other half of the blame? :scratchhead:

• Haha 16

Just noticed that this is the first time since their 2013 debuts that nobody in the DDP picked Ryan Buell or Scott Thorson.

One team is still holding on to Ritchii Kara though.

• Haha 1

Just now, Death Impends said:

Just noticed that this is the first time since their 2013 debuts that nobody in the DDP picked Ryan Buell or Scott Thorson.

One team is still holding on to Ritchii Kara though.

For those of you still wondering at home, the upper prognosis for someone diagnosed with CJD is about 3 years...

Ritchii Kara has signed up for a modelling website in the past two months as well.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I can't find this reported anywhere on here but DDP pick Pave Maijanen died at weekend. No QO but here is an O.

https://escxtra.com/2021/01/16/pave-maijanen-passes-away/

Mentioned by @arghton here.

I think it's been a while since this point was stressed, so worth mentioning again:

IF news of their death is being posted in a thread that is not their own (e.g. Deaths in 2021, ALS etc.), please include the name of the person you're talking about in your post so that it's searchable for other members, and most importantly easy to find for the people trying to run the DDP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You cunts.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

You cunts.

Deathray, is that you?

• Haha 1

So it's 6 days and counting without a DDP hit?

6 minutes ago, drol said:

So it's 6 days and counting without a DDP hit?

No, there's at the very least another two to add (Hood, Gray), possibly more, but the updates are Reptiles and hes been occupied this week by a thing called work. (Namely, that which built up while he was getting the website live...)

They'll come in good time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

No, there's at the very least another two to add (Hood, Gray), possibly more, but the updates are Reptiles and hes been occupied this week by a thing called work. (Namely, that which built up while he was getting the website live...)

They'll come in good time.

I just have the feeling this is a slow period...