msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

Lesothian Roman Catholic cardinal, Sebastian Koto Khoarai, passed away yesterday at the age of 91. 

http://www.lena.org.ls/index.php?model=headline&function=display&text_id=75121

Was a DDP-pick some years ago.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2017/celebs_K.html#khoas0

• Like 1

I guess Walter Mondale gets the distinction of being hit #100 this year. It is a consolation prize for losing 49 states when he ran for President 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G. Venkatasubbiah was destined to be hit number 100, although he might be destined for LOTL instead.

Just getting up to speed with the pool and the standings. Interesting reading!

- The top 3...meh, of course it’s them. 

- Look at theoldlady go in 4th :o Nice work!

- En Passant going for best newcomer there in 5th too, certainly one to cheer on.

- GUN’s theme team is pure genius, deserves 100 bonus points for the sheer gamble payoff.

- I’m currently 36th. It’s about 200 positions better than I expected.

32 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Just getting up to speed with the pool and the standings. Interesting reading!

- The top 3...meh, of course it’s them. 

- Look at theoldlady go in 4th :o Nice work!

- En Passant going for best newcomer there in 5th too, certainly one to cheer on.

- GUN’s theme team is pure genius, deserves 100 bonus points for the sheer gamble payoff.

- I’m currently 36th. It’s about 200 positions better than I expected.

LOL at the top 3 comment - HDS is only in their 2nd DDP year and last year they didn't even finish in the top 50!

The only real difference between your lot and mine so far is the joker points. And adjusting for points inflation 36th now is equivalent of top 20 a decade or so ago.  (Also look at some of the regular top 20 sides you are currently ahead of...)

I think we can start ruling some people out of the running already, and it's already becoming apparent which names are going to decide where the DDP goes this year (Tom Parker, David Gullpill, Tom Bilson, the gay Jersey news reporter).

image.png.a527c819c0cc9a9126cedfc440678622.png

Sorry to sound pedantic, but Klosterneuburg is not in Germany, it is in Lower Austria.

Thanks for the update anyway.

• Thanks 1

Ah, thanks. I'll fix it with the next update.

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 19:12, msc said:

I see like most of that persons picks he'll get as many points in 2021 dead years ago as he would alive.

First of all, thanks to @Ulitzer95, @msc , @gcreptile  and others for all that research on my "List of obscure people", which is made of people who have done what picks are not supposed to do: Survive.

All were on my Deadpool list between 2006 and 2012, which explains the odd composition. Their nomination seemed logical at the time, they were chosen.

And yes: this leftover ramp won't score many points, as Christa Ludwig and Prince Philip prove. But now it's here, ashes on my head!

Just to show, that they are not that useless, I have checked two of them a bit furter:

image.png.fae2df5a86c750113b25f0c997cdeb98.png
Unsure whether it makes this guy more useful, but Boroujerdi is not on death row anymore, his sentence was transformed into an eleven-year prison sentence. He has abandoned his status as an Ayatollah and is now something like an anti-religion activist, who advocates against organized religion. Sounds like someone who couldn't really sleep well under the eyes of the ayatollahs.

image.png.f0114e176b7b9c92163714cb4fb8575d.png

This woman has not to fear an execution anymore, which increases her chances for scoring.
She was released in 2014 after serving nine years on death row and has disappeared from the public eye. This reduces her chances for a qualifying obit.

OK, even if my attempt to make these picks more worthy for the DDP fizzles out, I would as, if  the information can be added?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WEP said:

First of all, thanks to @Ulitzer95, @msc , @gcreptile  and others for all that research on my "List of obscure people"

Fuck's sake - I didn't consider you would even contemplate doing bios for that lot. :clap:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Fuck's sake - I didn't consider you would even contemplate doing bios for that lot. :clap:

The best way to say thank you would probably be not to compete next year.

For now, however, I express my heartfelt thanks to them.

Of course, we do the bios. Usually, we don't know which team picked those new names that are passed from Grim Up North to msc and me.

I think these bios up there are by me. And I wanted to make clear that death by death penalty does not score, just in case a new player would not read that rule and think that we are withholding these points.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

And I wanted to make clear that death by death penalty does not score, just in case a new player would not read that rule and think that we are withholding these points.

You can keep them as they are. It is a hard job on research you all did, not just because of a few former death row inmates.

I just realized the current status of these picks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

@YoungWillz

Robert Howarth obit from The Telegraph.

Thanks! I'm sure @gcreptile will give me my points next update!

1 down, 19 to go in....7 months? Yikes.

Just noting here that Johnny Crawford (QO) was picked by Eternity Tours.

• Like 1

Updated for Maranne but not Billie Hayes?

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Updated for Maranne but not Billie Hayes?

Oops,... well, it seems the lunch break updates while working from home are a bit lacking in quality, compared to the evening updates.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Oops,... well, it seems the lunch break updates while working from home are a bit lacking in quality, compared to the evening updates.

I have no personal interest, just a bit surprised lol.

Her dob will have to be changed to 1925, and died 29 April I believe, bit fiddly I'd imagine.

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Her dob will have to be changed to 1925, and died 29 April I believe, bit fiddly I'd imagine.

Yeah, I can add the age at death separately, and added a comment that her previous birthdate was wrong.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Hollywood Reporter have given her DOB:

Aug 5, 1924.