msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

0.0001% safety issues is pretty universally seen as fairly safe though. I've taken medicine with considerably higher risks.

• Like 1

Anna Halprin, American choreographer and dancer, has died aged 100:

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/25/1000217732/remembering-anna-halprin-a-pioneering-choreographer?t=1622016612364

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_H.html#halpra

As mentioned by @chilean way in the Centenarians Pool, she was a solo there, as well as she would be in the DDP in case of a valid obit.

3 hours ago, msc said:

0.0001% safety issues is pretty universally seen as fairly safe though. I've taken medicine with considerably higher risks.

Probably more chance of dying in a RTA on the way to or from the vaccination venue.

There are more appropriate places for this discussion though.

John Warner gives unique joker points for Gooseberry's Apricot Crumble. Without his teams, these recent weeks would have been rather deathless on the DDP.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

John Warner gives unique joker points for Gooseberry's Apricot Crumble. Without his teams, these recent weeks would have been rather deathless on the DDP.

I've started clearing out the missing front page obits, which is usually signal for the Reaper to go mental again...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Bless you lol!

With full respect to John Warner and no offence intended I am delighted!

4 hours ago, msc said:

I've started clearing out the missing front page obits, which is usually signal for the Reaper to go mental again...

A deluge of bowel movements soon  is inevitable  is my feeling...

Yoo Sang-chul is dead!

I haven't had a hit in DDP for quite some time now. Nice to be back in game again. 

• Like 4

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/douglas-s-cramer-dead-wonder-woman-dynasty-love-boat-1234963991/

Douglas S Cramer  , a former US television producer  most notably  on glitzy 1980s soap Dynasty has died aged 89.

A unique pick for me @msc @gcreptile in my Gooseberry Crumble team and hopefully a unique hit when a qualifying obituary emerges!

My uniques have certainly  been serving me well recently!

• Like 1

Belatedly spotted that the death of Charles Henry Coolidge on April 6 has yet to be acknowledged in the DDP (QO here)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/douglas-s-cramer-dead-wonder-woman-dynasty-love-boat-1234963991/

Douglas S Cramer  , a former US television producer  most notably  on glitzy 1980s soap Dynasty has died aged 89.

A unique pick for me @msc @gcreptile in my Gooseberry Crumble team and hopefully a unique hit when a qualifying obituary emerges!

My uniques have certainly  been serving me well recently!

Indeed, here is a QO:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/douglas-cramer-wonder-woman-love-182239998.html

• Thanks 1

As I fall into second and with the contest nearly half-finished, let's have a look at my remaining team members:

Criscilla Anderson - recently returned from a three-week "healing trip" to Mexico. For someone so keen on holistic solutions to cancer, she has suddenly developed a big interest in "pump me full of fucking chemicals I want to actually live"
Jana Bennett - hasn't been heard from since a Zoom conference appearance in February. Convinced she's gone this year.

Gary Burgess - still hosting TV, still has a radio show, doesn't look ill at all in photos. Probably a wasted pick.
Michael Caputo - was he bluffing? Still involved in politics but on a much lower level, recently endorsed some minor candidates for the GOP. Haven't seen him in person for a bit, but that doesn't mean anything. Either he dies this year or he didn't have cancer at the level he claimed.
John Harvey - a differential pick I'm happy with. Still tweeting but at his age and with his cancer he could go from 100% active to dead in two weeks.
Ezra Nawi - fuck's sake, The Guardian and Independent used to love this guy. He fucks one 14-year-old and all of a sudden they refuse to mention his death? Only QO chance is if David Norris himself carks it, which isn't out of the question.
Tom Parker  - SICK TROLLS QUESTION WHETHER MAN WITH STAGE 4 GLIBIOMASTOMA WILL LIVE TO BE 120. Looks like crap and if he doesn't die 2021 he will be everyone's captain 2022.
Julia Reichert - Kept working during the first lockdown in the US and filmed a documentary about Dave Chappelle, which is premiering at some upcoming film festivals. Whether she turns up in person for these premieres will answer the question of if I get three unique hits this year.
Tom Smith - quiet since January, no mentions of him on any of the updates his charity 40tude have put out recently. Presumably a 2021 death.
Susie Steiner - 100% going to die, probably within six weeks max.
James Whale - should see the year out, but again he will go from active to dead in a very short space of time.

45 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Tom Smith - quiet since January, no mentions of him on any of the updates his charity 40tude have put out recently. Presumably a 2021 death.

There was an update on Smith in March. Basically, the  fortnightly 3 day chemo (urgh) is keeping him stable for now, but his tumour is wrapped around an artery so surgery is an 11th hour hail mary they can't really do. So imo the end game when it arrives will be very quick. (And if you hear about his chemo being changed or surgery, that's also an ominous note.)

The Living End rocket into the top twenty. B)

Can one of the more statistically inclined let me know my all time hits tally? 

5 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

The Living End rocket into the top twenty. B)

Can one of the more statistically inclined let me know my all time hits tally? 

Quick fag pack count (assuming TMIB's 31/12/2017 list is accurate) is 159 now.  Keep at this rate and we'll have a "Who is DDP's 200th hit" thread inside 3 years...

• Thanks 1

The "canon" is unusually weak this year (as long as the Toms and James Whale are still alive). Semi-canon picks Ady Barkan, Gary Burgess, David Gulpilil, Bill Turnbull are also all still alive and except for Gulpilil not even that notably worse off.

On the other hand, the "picks from last year" have been relatively successful, Litsa Menounos, Yoo Sang-Chul, Julie Strain, Susan Bayh, Lee Noble.

I think we will have a lower winning score than last year. And I think it's quite likely, and/or would be quite fitting that the "most solid/best generalist" is going to win. I tapped Cpt. Chorizo for the Death By Numbers in January (okay, he's currently one point behind Joey), but I could see him winning it all.

Edit: That said, the breadth of plausible names is so incredibly big.... Old Lady has the suddenly fantastic pick of Bob Dole, and also Dilip Kumar. Salmon Mousse with 50:50 pick Sarah Harding. It's all very unclear.

Hello and welcome!  a035.gif

51 minutes ago, bubblecop said:

Hi all,

Very disappointed my unique pick has not been added as yet, I was expecting my name in lights,email congrats a fanfare from DDP but noting.......

Sir Anerood Jugnauth  - President of Mauritius

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cdl8n2edxept/mauritius

Thanks

There's Goes another one!

Very sorry, I will get on with it very soon!

My recent busy weeks have reflected a bit on the checking of picks. I hope it gets better.

But as in the last year, there will be my general checking of the whole competition towards the end of the year. No hit will go unnoticed.

Edit: Actually, let me take that partly back. That live blog is indeed a QO, but it's the only one I can see. Very hard to find. Most curiously, Yahoo international has an obit, but uk.news.yahoo does not! I can't get the address change to work.

This exists: https://news.yahoo.com/anerood-jugnauth-former-mauritius-leader-062757237.html

But not this: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/anerood-jugnauth-former-mauritius-leader-062757237.html

1 hour ago, bubblecop said:

Hi all,

Very disappointed my unique pick has not been added as yet, I was expecting my name in lights,email congrats a fanfare from DDP but noting.......

Sir Anerood Jugnauth  - President of Mauritius

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cdl8n2edxept/mauritius

Thanks

There's Goes another one!

Congrats bubblecop :clap::angel3:

• Haha 1

As the DDP has not been updated for Gottfried Bohm's death, linking:

On 11/06/2021 at 11:17, YoungWillz said:

Additionally, Ned Beatty QO: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-ned-beatty-dead-superman-24311602