msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

On 26/05/2021 at 04:20, WEP said:

Anna Halprin, American choreographer and dancer, has died aged 100:

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/25/1000217732/remembering-anna-halprin-a-pioneering-choreographer?t=1622016612364

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_H.html#halpra

As mentioned by @chilean way in the Centenarians Pool, she was a solo there, as well as she would be in the DDP in case of a valid obit.

Valid obit arrives for Anna Halprin courtesy of the Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/anna-halprin-choreography-modern-experimental-dance-b1858416.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Delighted to discover that my team Blueberry Crumble was team of the month for May!:):clap: Courtesy of my two unique hits!

Hopeful  I can repeat the feat again this year.

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 22:27, msc said:

We're also looking for an obit for Alan Burgess who I assumed must have got one but hasn't yet. Oldest living cricket internationalist, Englands nuts for cricket, it must be coming...

It was there, but we didn't do the yahoo thing in January:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/worlds-oldest-first-class-cricketer-151633914.html

278 confirmed qualifying deaths  last year . 

We are nearly half that number at the midway point this year in the 2021 list  so I am still fairly confident that we will surpass and beat last years total. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

278 confirmed qualifying deaths  last year . 

We are nearly half that number at the midway point this year in the 2021 list  so I am still fairly confident that we will surpass and beat last years total. 

With the Alan Burgess obit mentioned above, January 2021 is the new record month of DDP history with 38 hits. 

We've kept up with the average of one-hit-per-day from the beginning up until April 12th.

As a comparison though, last year we kept the average up until April 30th. Both this year and last year, we've had a slow May, with 15 hits both in 2019 and 2020.

Surprisingly similar results, actually.

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow I will be leaving for a week of holidays. No updates in that time, not that they seem to be necessary right now...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Tomorrow I will be leaving for a week of holidays. No updates in that time, not that they seem to be necessary right now...

@gcreptile... have a great time and have fun, just not too much fun. ;)

I don't have a vacation time this year, lucky man. :(

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Enjoy GC! Although I have a feeling in the meantime the enema will create quite a few updates  for you when you get back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Enjoy GC! Although I have a feeling in the meantime the enema will create quite a few updates  for you when you get back!

I think so, too!

I think there'll be numerous updates, but no super biggie though.

• Like 1

Dilip Kumar is a hit for me here.

• Like 4

Anne Stallybrass is a unique hit for me here one of the names I got by cross referecing my long list against the DDP picks and seeing which ones have never been picked by anyone else.

Goes in my Unusual Suspects team

Updates still have to wait for a few more days as I am burning to death in Spain. But the old lady is a virtual no. 2 right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Updates still have to wait for a few more days as I am burning to death in Spain. But the old lady is a virtual no. 2 right now.

Enjoy your well deserved holiday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

But the old lady is a virtual no. 2 right now.

Bit harsh. :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Bit harsh. :lol:

Ughh... I think I know what you mean, lol.

(and of course, not what I meant)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gcreptile said:

But the old lady is a virtual no. 2 right now.

@theoldlady... you're such a wise woman. :)

So, let us raise our glasses to a job well done. :champagne:

Congratulations for this great success in your career of gamer. :clap:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WEP said:

Quite possibly my favourite theme team this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite the eventful day for deadpooling, with the deaths of demented footballers, pioneering wrestlers, and flamboyantly corrupt Louisiana guvnas still able to win election by running against Klansmen. The task of chronicling these fascinating lives (well, those picked on the DDP anyway) falls upon msc, but he had made clear he would pass the baton next year. I can now publicly announce that I shall be taking over his front page duty segment of the DDP committee for 2022. I admit it was in the works for some time, which was partially why I picked Art Rupe and Shintaro Tsuji this year, to start adapting to playing a somewhat more "host-ly" team.

I am mindful that the front page duties are typically a Briton's job, but the committee has full faith in me. It's possible I'll have guest obits for the really institutional UK figures who are unknown in the US - say, Murray Walker or Denis Norden for past examples - but the vast vast majority of obits shall be my doing. Otherwise, the time-honed tradition of the DDP host using old pop lyrics as obit headlines and pretending they know everything about whoever won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 25 years ago shall remain exactly the same! :biggrin: Still plenty of details to work out over the coming months as I figure out how I want to handle the front page.

When I first discovered the DDP in the mid-aughts as a tween, I never would have thought I'd eventually co-host. Or, tbh, if I had known what the Internet would be like in general by now, that the DDP or DL would still be going on at all. Bit of a surreal feeling!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Welcome on board DI. I have no doubts you'll soon far surpass my efforts. Death Impends was my top choice as a potential DDP co-host so I am delighted she has accepted the honour.

As for me, you'll still be getting my crap jokes on the front page for another 6 months or so while changeover plans continue behind the scenes.

• Like 7

Also at this point, due to changes in his real life circumstances, DDP 2022 will be the final DDP Grim Up North can work the Excel sheets for teams entering. I can't tell you how many standing ovations that man needs, but anyhow, the call is now on for anyone who can use Excel to volunteer to take Grim (and Reptiles) role in the 2023 DDP. With my Cmme hat on, the more people involved in that, the merrier.

• Like 5