msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

8 hours ago, msc said:

Also at this point, due to changes in his real life circumstances, DDP 2022 will be the final DDP Grim Up North can work the Excel sheets for teams entering. I can't tell you how many standing ovations that man needs, but anyhow, the call is now on for anyone who can use Excel to volunteer to take Grim (and Reptiles) role in the 2023 DDP. With my Cmme hat on, the more people involved in that, the merrier.

For my part of the role with the excel entry sheets that about 50% of the entrants might use this year it's an easier job than it was - I would say the main time commitment is first week of January. Other than that it's an hour a day during December.

And after first week of January nothing at all until first week of December again. I had planned to do it through 2023 but as msc says things are changing in my life which makes it too complicated. 

It would be most sensible for my successor to be on board this year and then I would be able to show them what was required with live data because I won't be around (I'm not dying) to provide advice etc in 2023.

On 11/07/2021 at 17:19, WEP said:

Something in the announcement-section would not count, I am pretty sure:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/births-marriages-and-deaths-july-14-2021-khj7wzjks

No sorry, I think we ruled those out. I am optimistic though that a late obit will come. All the award winners should get something, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Almost.

But again, just manually change the url and it does count:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/news/pilar-bardem-dies-mother-javier-224345919.html

(Also, there's a Daily Mail obit.)

FFS

I have just checked my DDP score . . 

A fecking pandemic and I have scored LESS that the UK did at Eurovision !!

Hee Haw points and we are over half way through the year.

MUST DO BETTER :rant: 

10 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

FFS

I have just checked my DDP score . . 

A fecking pandemic and I have scored LESS that the UK did at Eurovision !!

Hee Haw points and we are over half way through the year.

MUST DO BETTER :rant: 

I feel your pain.

3 teams entered, 1/60 dead....

• Like 2

Not one comment on the daring hit of young Biz Markie for lowly Sir Creep.  It was awesome, and yes I'll break my arm patting myself on the back.  Not even a mention that he was DEAD in this thread.  pffft.
Lowly SC

54 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Not one comment on the daring hit of young Biz Markie for lowly Sir Creep.  It was awesome, and yes I'll break my arm patting myself on the back.  Not even a mention that he was DEAD in this thread.  pffft.
Lowly SC

In my defence, I didn't twig Marcel Hall was yer Biz Markie. Well done. And also to Misers and The Sound of the Underground (the beat of the drum goes round and around).

When the worn out sod in charge of the front page gets to it, you shall be noted.

• Like 1

Not looking good on the Jack Arends front. Four of us awaiting the obit that seems unlikely now. Tbh, never thought he'd hang on to the summer and reckoned his departure anywhere near Biden's swearing in would get noticed. 

If anyone notices a picture of beret wearer near a few words in a paper, share the news, eh?

arendsj021.jpg

Just read the  website entry for the former Prime minister of Denmark Poul Schluter and whoever wrote it thank you very much for your kind and complimentary  words! I loved how I was described!:D:)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just read the  website entry for the former Prime minister of Denmark Poul Schluter and whoever wrote it thank you very much for your kind and complimentary  words! I loved how I was described!:D:)

That'll be me. I've written roughly 418 obits (of varying lengths from 2 sentences to the near 2000 word Jack Charlton epic iirc) in the last 19 months - looking forward to a rest soon! 

(Also, forum legend - and former host - OoO once said that DDP hosting was not for those with small kids. Having run the front page bit during a lockdown with a job and a child to home school at the same time, I can confirm he was 100% right...)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

That'll be me. I've written roughly 418 obits (of varying lengths from 2 sentences to the near 2000 word Jack Charlton epic iirc) in the last 19 months - looking forward to a rest soon! 

(Also, forum legend - and former host - OoO once said that DDP hosting was not for those with small kids. Having run the front page bit during a lockdown with a job and a child to home school at the same time, I can confirm he was 100% right...)

Well I take my hat off to you both in general for your obituary work on the DDP  and in particular for some of your excellent and kind write ups for my unique Crumble team 'hits'.

I was absolutely  delighted when I read the Poul Schluter one and think your summary  hits the nail on the head!

Very unlikely to  win but a talent for esoteric off the radar unique picks !

I like to think my three esoteric leaning  unique pick heavy teams contribute to the overall enjoyment of the game ,more colourful, interesting etc rather than being a big  part of the competitive furnace of the game!

Thanks again :)

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Hopefully caring for guinea pigs instead of children shall make a smoother ride for me! :D

That is until I start asking them to review my obit drafts and all they say is "weak weak"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Well I take my hat off to you both in general for your obituary work on the DDP  and in particular for some of your excellent and kind write ups for my unique Crumble team 'hits'.

I was absolutely  delighted when I read the Poul Schluter one and think your summary  hits the nail on the head!

Very unlikely to  win but a talent for esoteric off the radar unique picks !

I like to think my three esoteric leaning  unique pick heavy teams contribute to the overall enjoyment of the game ,more colourful, interesting etc rather than being a big  part of the competitive furnace of the game!

Thanks again :)

Yes, it's more interesting to put together a resume for the likes of Schluter or Anerood Jugnauth than it is some of the ambulance chasing picks. Plus teams like yours and Willz and Predictor, its not just throwing darts at a wall, there's always some well thought out deduction behind your unique picks, or you'll spot some health news other folk miss. I'm not patronising (Intentionally anyhow!) when I sayI look forward to see them (and then their rational sometimes!) as much as some of the big hitters teams each January 1st.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@msc Hey if I'm goin to be an also-ran, might as well be a stylish also-ran.

Unfortunately, I think that was true last year, but unless people start falling off the perch, it won't even be stylish! :lol:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

@msc Hey if I'm goin to be an also-ran, might as well be a stylish also-ran.

Unfortunately, I think that was true last year, but unless people start falling off the perch, it won't even be stylish! :lol:

Heh, always next year, as they say.

Admittedly I say that around midday on January 1st when I see the opposition!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, it's more interesting to put together a resume for the likes of Schluter or Anerood Jugnauth than it is some of the ambulance chasing picks. Plus teams like yours and Willz and Predictor, its not just throwing darts at a wall, there's always some well thought out deduction behind your unique picks, or you'll spot some health news other folk miss. I'm not patronising (Intentionally anyhow!) when I sayI look forward to see them (and then their rational sometimes!) as much as some of the big hitters teams each January 1st.

Bless you!! Even though you are stepping down I hope you enjoy digesting the names in my three 2022 crumble teams- I already have some vague possibilities in the back of my mind that I think would be good intriguing unique picks!

But anyway back to the present for now as I am sure a few more of my uniques are going to be fruitful this year and make way for the next generation!!:D;)

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Bless you!! Even though you are stepping down I hope you enjoy digesting the names in my three 2022 crumble teams- I already have some vague possibilities in the back of my mind that I think would be good intriguing unique picks!

But anyway back to the present for now as I am sure a few more of my uniques are going to be fruitful this year and make way for the next generation!!:D;)

While I had little to say about Douglas Cramer (this does happen sometimes with 400 odd obits to write), I did add a little quip in there for you about our respective success in this years DDP!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, msc said:

While I had little to say about Douglas Cramer (this does happen sometimes with 400 odd obits to write), I did add a little quip in there for you about our respective success in this years DDP!

I have a feeling that if Christina Crawford,  Susan Harris or Rosemary Squires  die that you will have a brilliant and witty  obituary  write up in you! Just a feeling that you will find a way to cleverly move from Golden Girls, Fairy Liquid or Hollywood Mommie Dearest references to Crumble references and quips!:D

Just a hunch and  I guess a hope that I have!

Just posted on Dead Pop Stars thread - Dusty Hill (ZZ Top bassist) is a unique pick on DDP - obits already flooding in.