msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

Ernst Albin Fasan, Austrian lawyer, specialized in space law, has died and none of us gave a fuck to mention it on here:

https://www.noen.at/neunkirchen/neunkirchen-trauer-um-ernst-fasan-neunkirchen-nachruf-martin-fasan-herbert-osterbauer-print-283162897

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_F.html#fasane

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WEP said:

One for the "List of the Lost"

Ernst Albin Fasan, Austrian lawyer, specialized in space law, has died off the radar in July:

https://www.noen.at/neunkirchen/neunkirchen-trauer-um-ernst-fasan-neunkirchen-nachruf-martin-fasan-herbert-osterbauer-print-283162897

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_F.html#fasane

He died on 20th July, obits started appearing online within a week and his Wiki and the Deaths in 2021 were updated by the 30th to reflect this.

That's not "dying off the radar", it's called "we saw it and none of us gave a fuck to mention it on here".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 names to go until last year's number of hits is surpassed and 49 days left in 2021.

I'm fairly  confident  this will happen.  I have kept the faith!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

47 names to go until last year's number of hits is surpassed and 49 days left in 2021.

Hopefully the website gremlins will have fucked off by then. Updating the main page, when it actually allows and doesn't just crash, is like treacle this week. (It appears to be a host error rather than at our end, annoyingly.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

That will be impressive as 20 or so of last year’s hits are now banned under the FFBI and ROTF rules. 

24 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

That will be impressive as 20 or so of last year’s hits are now banned under the FFBI and ROTF rules. 

Really?

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

You just wheesht. I want to see us break the record again too but your enema enthusiasm is definitely tainted! :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Really?

I count 7 I'd have DQ'd on the spot (Bell, Griffiths, Sisson, Barrett, Sinclair, Griffin, Last) this year and a few others that would have been down to Reptile's deciding vote, but not quite 20. I like to think we've not sacrificed the obscure notable picks to get rid of the outright unfamous ones.

• Thanks 1

Well some easy, shameless names that were hits in 2020 would not be allowed in 2021, so we had fewer targets, if you will. Still, the Yahoo obits gave us a few hits we wouldn't have had otherwise :cough: Suzy Friton:.

We need about a hit per day now though. Not impossible, but a bit unlikely.

Some late year-end obits would help.

We still had a good number of hits, considering some dry weeks throughout spring and summer.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 17:42, YoungWillz said:

I'm assuming the DDP Committee were waiting for the non-paywalled Clifford Rose obit from the Gruaniad. Its arrived. Still not a peep from the beeb though.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

47 minutes ago, time said:

I'm assuming the DDP Committee were waiting for the non-paywalled Clifford Rose obit from the Gruaniad. Its arrived. Still not a peep from the beeb though.

Oh, I just forgot about it.... thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

My 2019 theme team, Garden Of Eden, kept a clean sheet when it mattered.

But has just scored a rapid treble with Clifford Rose, Ron Flowers and the eponymous Clarissa Eden.

• Like 3

On 01/12/2020 at 12:12, msc said:

1817608_2d35d812.jpg

Welcome to Derby, where you'll never leave...

Somehow its December, which means it is now time to start drawing up your teams for the 26th edition of one of the oldest running deadpools in the world. That's right, the Derby Dead Pool, or DDP as its also known. As with 2020, the 2021 DDP will be co-hosted by the team of msc, @Grim Up North and @gcreptile

RULES

4. QUALIFYING OBITS - All from 2020 plus Last Word, Daily Record, Scottish and Sunday papers, STV, UTV, Economist, UK Yahoo, Radio Times, Economist, City AM and The Independent.

Proof!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Proof!

Get well soon, buddy.

• Like 1

I actually really like the broadening of QOs (though I wouldn't broaden it any further now). It balances out the # of deaths now that we've ditched FFBI and FOTF type names.

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I actually really like the broadening of QOs (though I wouldn't broaden it any further now). It balances out the # of deaths now that we've ditched FFBI and FOTF type names.

Well, we haven't really.

There are names which really are only "famous" among the deadpooling community. Sabbage, Hallenga, possibly even Conway I personally remain uncomfortable with, however, rules is rules (crikey even I under the old rules in desperation picked a FFBI in the past!). A line has been drawn which makes it better, thank god.

I'm sure there's more cancer bloggers out there actively being researched who have done nothing of any significance except write about how ill they are, and it kind of leaves a door ajar for folk to push against.

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, we haven't really.

There are names which really are only "famous" among the deadpooling community. Sabbage, Hallenga, possibly even Conway I personally remain uncomfortable with, however, rules is rules (crikey even I under the old rules in desperation picked a FFBI in the past!). A line has been drawn which makes it better, thank god.

I'm sure there's more cancer bloggers out there actively being researched who have done nothing of any significance except write about how ill they are, and it kind of leaves a door ajar for folk to push against.

Sandbags got a tribute on National radio which means their must have thought enough of their listeners would know who she was. 

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Sandbags got a tribute on National radio which means their must have thought enough of their listeners would know who she was. 

Justly so as I have fond memories beating it up in Super Smash Bros

SSBM_Sandbag.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

If you are a relative of someone from money and public life who happens to be a mate of a radio presenter, it's not enough to get over the fame line in my book, even if it is enough for the current rules.

My mate is Zoe Ball, so I must be "famous". As I say, it's a door that the Committee must keep pressed against as far as possible.

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, we haven't really.

Some did try to push against the door but found it had surly bouncers. :lol:

Sophie Sabbage was a quasi-aristo with multiple books out over the last decade or so promoting her quackery route to beating cancer. She passed the threshold. Others didn't. Cancer bloggers wouldn't and weren't allowed in unless they had another claim to fame. 

There may have been a fast one pulled at some point in 5, 000 different picks, but the Cmme were pretty solid on what constituted FFBI ban and what didn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Some did try to push against the door but found it had surly bouncers. :lol:

Sophie Sabbage was a quasi-aristo with multiple books out over the last decade or so promoting her quackery route to beating cancer. She passed the threshold. Others didn't. Cancer bloggers wouldn't and weren't allowed in unless they had another claim to fame. 

There may have been a fast one pulled at some point in 5, 000 different picks, but the Cmme were pretty solid on what constituted FFBI ban and what didn't.

I'm not disagreeing with you, the rules as currently framed (essentially the Hares Pool rules) are fine for Sabbage and her ilk. It's always up to the Committee to judge, and I don't have a problem with that, because it doesn't matter what I think, as I enter the competition under the rules.

Here's the thing. I deliberately went out of my way to post Alex Flynn's death - cancer guy trying to ascend Everest. I have no doubt he'd have been picked and possibly allowed. I don't know, the question will never be asked.

What I am grateful for is that whenever I see a death from cancer reported in the national press, I'm not running off every time as in the past to check if they've been picked for the DDP! It's just my personal position - if points are awarded for someone that brings out a long drawn out sigh and a shake of the head, it's not a pick I care for. :P

18 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Being a published author should be an automatic yes. 

That lets in all kinds of nobodies, myself included.